Autopsy Hawthorn defeats Geelong by 4 points @ University of Tas Stadium, Friday 17th Feb 2017 (7.40pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

He like a few others will have to improve on his first up effort. Lets see where everyone is after all the games.

Yes...he, like everyone will need to up the ante from the first practice game.....but

24 possessions from 74% time on field....16 of those contested....disposal efficiency of 83%...along with 7 tackles. What more can you ask for a first up practice game against a team like Hawthorn.

He's a dead set certainty to play in Round 1 and so he should be.

Yes...he, like everyone will need to up the ante from the first practice game.....but

24 possessions from 74% time on field....16 of those contested....disposal efficiency of 83%...along with 7 tackles. What more can you ask for a first up practice game against a team like Hawthorn.

Cowan is the one that needs to lift IMO - and a lot

GO Catters

So yes he needs to improve but.. he is a lock. Just a question.. if another player like GHS plays in game two and beats those stats is he a lock? My guess would be that Motlops stats would be worse than those and he is probably a lock as well.

Id prefer to wait to see how everyone plays after the three games. Trying to work out where everyone fits with only 22 in the side , while at the same time keeping a balance of youth and mature. Personally , ideally we add more goal kicking talent , and keep some youth in the side. Parfitt looked a very interesting young player for instance. Do we a find a way to get a few games into him this year? I have no issue with Menegola individually , he showed he has something to offer in more than one game last year. He may well be best 22

Leigh Matthews?
How is it I cop an infraction for responding in kind tn someone calling me a git, and this Hawthorn ass hat can come into our team board and troll and not cop a ban? I think the mods have Stockholm syndrome

Last edited:
So yes he needs to improve but.. he is a lock. Just a question.. if another player like GHS plays in game two and beats those stats is he a lock? My guess would be that Motlops stats would be worse than those and he is probably a lock as well.

Id prefer to wait to see how everyone plays after the three games. Trying to work out where everyone fits with only 22 in the side , while at the same time keeping a balance of youth and mature. Personally , ideally we add more goal kicking talent , and keep some youth in the side. Parfitt looked a very interesting young player for instance. Do we a find a way to get a few games into him this year? I have no issue with Menegola individually , he showed he has something to offer in more than one game last year. He may well be best 22
GHS wont beat those stats though. plus this aint a one off performance from Menegola. He already has credits in the bank.

Another who did not show their best. Id guess I'd question if his best is good enough..and thats a bit of a concern when he has been on our list as long as he has.
I didn't mind his season overall last year, he added something without tearing it apart - and I'll take that - I just expected more JLT 1 on the back if his first full preseason on what might be history.

Go Catters

Do hawthorn players get suspended?? I find it amazing how Hawkins gets two weeks because it had "potential to cause injury" but shiels giving a wack across the head is "just a fine". Please find consistency, if tapping the chin is "potential to cause serious injury" then all hits including shiels to the head are the same if not worse. Find consistency please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it I cop an infraction for responding in kind tn someone calling me a git, and this Hawthorn ass hat can come into our team board and troll and not cop a ban? I think the mods have Stockholm syndrome

People post on other team boards all the time without getting infractions.

In this case someone asked a question about the last time a Hawthorn got suspended for striking a Geelong player. The tone was that no-one from Hawthorn ever gets suspended for striking a Geelong player.

I responded to the question with someone from Hawthorn who got suspended for striking a Geelong player.

Why on earth would that get an infraction?

I cant think of anyone else who has been suspended. If I were to guess, Cambell Brown probably did. Because he was getting rubbed out all the time, but I dont know for sure.

In this case someone asked a question about the last time a Hawthorn got suspended for striking a Geelong player. The tone was that no-one from Hawthorn ever gets suspended for striking a Geelong player.

I responded to the question with someone from Hawthorn who got suspended for striking a Geelong player.

I cant think of anyone else who has been suspended. If I were to guess, Cambell Brown probably did. Because he was getting rubbed out all the time, but I dont know for sure.

Fair points - but when Ceglar does not even get cited for whacking BLitz in the jaw, causing him to come from the ground, Lang gets sniped from behind and they get a fine, and when the shoe goes the other way Selwood gets 4 weeks for footage that was grainier than the JFK shootings - you can expect the rough end of the pineapple around these parts when you walk in here wearing brown and gold.

Not saying you cant come here, nor should you be driven away when your intentions are honourable - but you also should expect some attitude.

GO Catters

Fair points - but when Ceglar does not even get cited for whacking BLitz in the jaw, causing him to come from the ground, Lang gets sniped from behind and they get a fine, and when the shoe goes the other way Selwood gets 4 weeks for footage that was grainier than the JFK shootings - you can expect the rough end of the pineapple around these parts when you walk in here wearing brown and gold.

Not saying you cant come here, nor should you be driven away when your intentions are honourable - but you also should expect some attitude.

GO Catters

If there was no attitude it wouldnt be fun :)

A couple of years ago Hawkins went through a period of jumper punching people and the AFL would always excuse it because jumper punching wasnt considered a real strike, but he forgot to grab the jumper when he punched Ben Stratton, and it was cleared by the MRP. Hawkins is lucky Stratton has a strong jaw, because if you look at the impact I reckon I would have been knocked in to next week.

Then there was an uproar from Geelong fans when he did finally get penalised for the hit on Davis?. Personally I think if you punch someone in the head it should be a week no matter what - regardless of the club - and for all the talk about Hawthorn, have a look at the free ride the AFL gives the Swans week in, week out - Buddy would get rubbed out for weeks on end at Hawthorn but gets protected over and over at Sydney. I even think a punch to the stomach should get a week - and either last year or the year before we had about half a dozen players only getting a fine for it, but the first player to get a week would send a message to all the other players to stop it.

Its a blight on the game and has no place in it.

As for Lang, the contact was minimal and he got straight back up. Hardly what you would call a snipe. If you look at the other angles Lang ducks and gets clipped, rather than hit solidly. I said in the MRP section that if Shiels got a week for that, Frost deserved a month for his tackle on Matera. Remember, the MRP are using the same rules for AFL and AFLW, and that Collingwood girl got 2 weeks for knocking out the Melbourne player. So clearly the benchmark is being set pretty high (again I dont agree with it).

BTW: McEvoy twice had to leave the field after getting hit in the head. He is a 2m tall ruckman, so I assume it wasnt accidental contact during a tackle... but there was no mention by anyone about either of them. One was a stray arm in a ruck contest - something a certain retired Swans player was always being excused for, and I dont know about the other, but it appeared to have re-opened the wound.

Anyway, its a practice match. We got through unscathed and JOM looked very good despite not having played for 2 years. Geelong still need to find a way to get Hawkins space - and Im not sure Taylor is the one. Maybe Henderson, but again I dont think he is the one either. The injury to Guthrie is hopefully only a minor ankle roll, rather than something more serious. Didnt see Henderson get hurt so not sure how bad that is.

Which is really what practice matches are about. Blowing away cobwebs and getting match fitness without getting injured.

Cheers.

(BTW: we get a lot of visitors on our board and very rarely do the mods penalise. Mostly its fun watching the melts.)

You were coming on here to poke the bear, not for constructive conversation. You are a known antagonist on the main board. Happy for you to post here but don't take the pi55.

Do hawthorn players get suspended?? I find it amazing how Hawkins gets two weeks because it had "potential to cause injury" but shiels giving a wack across the head is "just a fine". Please find consistency, if tapping the chin is "potential to cause serious injury" then all hits including shiels to the head are the same if not worse. Find consistency please
Gr8 that Hawks have replaced 1 sniper with another.

Was working, so just watched the replay. Not going to rehash what has already been said.

For the nay sayers - watch it again, so many mismatches. Gr8 learning curve for both teams.

Was really proud of our 'kittens' and new recruits.

Thought the Hawk, HT, Black fwd line worked.

especially if you are the coach and the antagonist is drunk ........

Okay, an exclusion for Port supporters. Surely that would get our 2 clubs united? I wouldnt be surprised if that flog regularly copped on a beating on a Friday and Saturday night.

Was working, so just watched the replay. Not going to rehash what has already been said.

For the nay sayers - watch it again, so many mismatches. Gr8 learning curve for both teams.

Was really proud of our 'kittens' and new recruits.

Thought the Hawk, HT, Black fwd line worked.

Certainly some crazy things were tried. Not sure Ive ever seen Grant Birchall in the centre square before. Watching Cockatoo tag Roughie was interesting. Cant imagine either of those would happen in a regular game.

But can we all agree that the highlight was Langford's run down tackle on Dangerfield? Far better than Mackie's 9 pointer ! :)

he also showed plenty of good signs. Definately shows potential IMO.

Motlop the worry ( again). Looks fit but just no impact.
Yeah he did show some good signs. He was able to get involved in the play a bit at least but geez he made alot of mistakes aswell. I think alot of those mistakes were simply due to nerves and I don't expect it to be the norm for him.

Motlop? Well, as with all established players I'll reserve my judgment until the real stuff starts. As you say, he's in good shape and training reports have been positive from a few posters that have been down to watch us train throughout the pre season so he's already miles ahead of where he was this time last year. I reckon we'll know within 2 to 3 H&A games whether he's fair dinkum or not but until then I'll cut him some slack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back