Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

And they say the other Conor is the better one.

Phwwoaoooaaar!!
This deserves a lot more than 2 likes, you cheap like whore.

I know fremantles forward line is terrible but tonight hawthorn's backline at times had glass, Hardwick, Sicily, Gunston, burton and brand. That's why clarko is a genius. Imagine another coach trying to coach a team with those 6 in the back line. Only clarko can turn Gunston, Sicily and burton from forwards into gun defenders.

You'd want to be trending upwards now because when those old warhorses make their way to the knackery it's all downhill.

The senior players aren't even playing that well. Roughead is out of form, while Frawley, Gibson, Birchall, Puopolo, Stratton and Rioli are all injured.

It's the younger players who are playing the better at the moment who've gotten the Hawks to compete at a high level.

How do explain Hawthorn's inexperienced defense playing significantly well the last six weeks without much support around them?

Sicily has gone from being an okay forward to a reliable half back flanker who can take plenty of contested marks.

Hardwick has beaten nearly every small forward he's played on.

The seniors aren't even playing that well. Roughead is out of form, while Frawley, Gibson, Birchall, Puopolo, Stratton and Rioli are all injured.

It's the younger players who are playing the better at the moment.

How do explain Hawthorn's inexperienced defense playing well the last six weeks without much support?
But it doesn't count because its forced... or something Nakia said ... can't remember ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know fremantles forward line is terrible but tonight hawthorn's backline at times had glass, Hardwick, Sicily, Gunston, burton and brand. That's why clarko is a genius. Imagine another coach trying to coach a team with those 6 in the back line. Only clarko can turn Gunston, Sicily and burton from forwards into gun defenders.
Imagine that lot against Essendon.

Mckenna is already electric.
Oh my.
The thread is about Hawthorn, and the recent posts you have responded to are about Hawthorn's two Irishmen. Derp.

Oh Dear - silly me. I just naturally assumed when you talk AFL Irishmen you talk McKenna.
That's because you're being simple.

Nope / 2017 is a veritable pearler of a draft to improve your lists provided you haven't squandered and sacrificed your early picks on crocks in previous deals.
Well I'm not sure where the attitude in that reply has come from...

I can't even tell if that's sarcasm?

Seems like some deeper hurt attached to those words.

With all due respect, Cal Twomey and every recruiter they've interviewed this year on the Road to Draft podcast feels this year's draft is poor - even at the top.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hawks don't look like regrouping anytime soon. But at this stage the very first pick they have in the 2017 draft is GWS Second Round pick. I am expecting GWS to finish high in 2017 and their second round to be a pick in late 30's to easily 40's

But the fact is as part of last years plans to bring in Jaegar O'Meara, they had to make trades with a number of teams, one being St Kilda to get Pick 10 which was used to forward to the Suns. In exchange the Hawks gave Saints their 2017 FIRST ROUND pick which the reality is at this very moment Hawks sit last on the ladder and it looking like being Pick 1 in this years draft.
Could St Kilda end up with the Hawks pick 1 this year? Would that give the Hawks coaching staff, recruiters and board members have migraines for the remainder of the year knowing this?

How would St Kilda be feeling right now?
OP in this thread was based on the hypothetical that Saints would get pick one. Not much of a possibility anymore

Burton, Sicily, Howe, Hardwick and Brand say hi.

Burton and Sicily would both walk into Geelong's best 22.

That's why Geelong are going after Sicily. :$
Burton yes, Sicily no

Ah no, a poor year is precisely when you don't want to miss a first round pick. There's always roughly the same top end quality, but it drops off more steeply in a poor year. Making second round picks less valuable...
That may be true, but there may not be either the same amount of top end quality nor the height of top end talent this year.

If true, then if you aren't going to have a 1st round pick this isn't a bad year to do it.

GWS, Geelong also don't have a pick inside the first 18 and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't clamouring to trade back in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back