Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think after a while the numbers and separation becomes a psychological challenge. You start thinking subconsciously you are better than you are. Like your entitled to win every game.

Watching the game on the weekend it looked like there was a anticipation it was going to happen in some players movements because North where so far down the ladder rather than everybody doing the little things to get things going.

When Melbourne got going and the players felt they where moving forward I got the sense they felt more normal that this was back to their type of game, started to enjoy it more and as a team they where working together to get the job done.

It is a interesting dynamic, you are allowed to win, they can keep winning if they want to, but it is not going to be given to them. Next week will be interesting without Langdon. If Melbourne want to win, they can win but is winning part of their DNA? Do they want to win? Do they want to achieve do they want to succeed?

How strong is the team connection at Melbourne that they work together when they cross the line?, We shall see. How strong do they want to play well for their teammates and fans?
What a load of drivel lol that’s even worse than the crap i posted on the last page haha

Tanking hasn't seriously existed since they stopped giving out a guaranteed pp
My not tank in a specific game teams going through rebuilding era’s, trading away best 22 players (Ben Brown) knowing they’ll lose a lot of games picking up high picks.

I think I understand what Mr Magic is trying to say, and I was thinking something similar, how will Melbourne mentally handle the fact that they have this awesome team but the hot ticket in town is Carlton right now, not Melbourne?

Has there ever been a more talked-about preseason game than Melbourne vs Carlton this year?

Not only was it a preseason game, Melbourne lost by five despite having nearly their entire premiership backline out, while giving away (from memory) seven 50-metre penalties for dissent as the new rule was being tested out.

Carlton may well have what it takes to challenge Melbourne, but using a preseason game as the rationale is comical at best. Last year, Melbourne got belted by The Western TM in the preseason, how did that turn out? The year before, Richmond lost to GWS. In 2018, West Coast got demolished by Freo. In 2017, Richmond lost to Collingwood. In 2016, the Bulldogs lost both pre-season games. In 2015, Hawthorn lost both pre-season games...you see where this is going.

You pay frees on their merits. We had 30 more contested possessions in the first half, which by definition are won under pressure. It has been shown time and time again, if you win contested ball, you get more free kicks.

Ehhh, kind of but not really.

Team Totals For 2022CP ↑RankFFRank
Brisbane Lions
1473​
1​
225​
8​
Melbourne
1448​
2​
220​
9​
Carlton
1447​
3​
241​
3​
Gold Coast
1415​
4​
202​
16​
Western Bulldogs
1414​
5​
247​
2​
St Kilda
1403​
6​
218​
10​
Fremantle
1402​
7​
239​
4​
Adelaide
1401​
8​
250​
1​
Greater Western Sydney
1385​
9​
209​
15​
Sydney
1359​
10​
216​
12​
Geelong
1347​
11​
218​
11​
Port Adelaide
1343​
12​
213​
14​
Richmond
1341​
13​
183​
18​
Collingwood
1328​
14​
228​
6​
Hawthorn
1320​
15​
226​
7​
Essendon
1274​
16​
215​
13​
North Melbourne
1272​
17​
231​
5​
West Coast
1216​
18​
199​
17​

I think I understand what Mr Magic is trying to say, and I was thinking something similar, how will Melbourne mentally handle the fact that they have this awesome team but the hot ticket in town is Carlton right now, not Melbourne?
So pretty much last year but swap the Bulldogs with Carlton

Assuming Melbourne lose between 1-3 games in the H&A season, as it will inevitably happen, it's interesting to see which teams could knock them off.

It's not always the "next best teams", as often we see top teams lose randomly to someone we all know is well below them in current level.
Good point, if they knew how to gamble responsibly like Carlton in '95 they would've had there back to back losses already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming Melbourne lose between 1-3 games in the H&A season, as it will inevitably happen, it's interesting to see which teams could knock them off.

It's not always the "next best teams", as often we see top teams lose randomly to someone we all know is well below them in current level.
'08 Geelong losing to Collingwood, and '21 Adelaide pipping Geelong and Melbourne come to mind.

I reckon Melbourne probably lose a couple when they are relaxed three or so games clear on top. The other seven sides in the eight should be (and probably are) thinking more about how to beat Melbourne in September, not in July or August.

I said it earlier in the thread...the way to beat Melbourne's defensive system is by taking marks all over the ground but especially in the forward 50. Those contested marks will completely break down the wall May and Lever control. It's almost impossible to defend against forwards who are clunking marks.

Having said that, that's easier said than done. I feel that there are 2 clubs who have the forwards who can have day outs and mark everything that comes their way...Carlton and Brisbane.

Carlton is the wildcard with Curnow and McKay. If they both have day outs and with their mids breaking even, they will beat anyone. And they have a lot more improvement in them.

Brisbane can do it but needs Daniher back and firing along with Hipwood.

I would like to see the Tiges at full strength against the Demons in a final. Lynch and Riewoldt have form on the board when it comes to taking big grabs and kicking goals in big games. Not saying we can beat Melbourne with where we're at but I would like to see a full strength Tiges (with Dusty up and about) against them.

Still a long way to go but they do look good.

How will Melbourne mentally handle the fact that they have this awesome team but the hot ticket in town is Carlton right now, not Melbourne?
Yeah mate, Melbourne Demons are jealous of ****ing Carlton of all clubs, lol.
Must be because they got more than twice as many spoons as we have in the last 20 years?

What a load of drivel lol that’s even worse than the crap i posted on the last page haha

It is not drivel at all.

Melbourne had every right to pump north and did not.

Sure North was having more of a crack early but it looked like some where going though the motions in the first half especially

What will happen now is the talk, Melbourne need to lose one, Melbourne need to have a break, Melbourne should rest players. It is always a given in these situations. Melbourne need to do a pre-season within the season

It is clear to me, Melbourne need to revisit why they are playing? Why they want to win? Why they want to do it in front of their fans? Why they want to play for each other?? What are the benefits of helping each other, doing the hard yards and ignoring the score sheet.

Do they enjoy winning? Do they like being in front?? Do they enjoy helping their teammates out on the football field? Is the bond of playing for each other on the field most important and can they ignore outside noise which will come? Can Melbourne rise above the bullshit trying to drag them down from offfield? Are they better than that or are they just another run of the mill team?

Last edited:
Has there ever been a more talked-about preseason game than Melbourne vs Carlton this year?

Not only was it a preseason game, Melbourne lost by five despite having nearly their entire premiership backline out, while giving away (from memory) seven 50-metre penalties for dissent as the new rule was being tested out.

Carlton may well have what it takes to challenge Melbourne, but using a preseason game as the rationale is comical at best. Last year, Melbourne got belted by The Western TM in the preseason, how did that turn out? The year before, Richmond lost to GWS. In 2018, West Coast got demolished by Freo. In 2017, Richmond lost to Collingwood. In 2016, the Bulldogs lost both pre-season games. In 2015, Hawthorn lost both pre-season games...you see where this is going.
who's seriously argued the preseason games matter?

only blues posters saying it are just trying to get a rise out of gullible dees fans like u.

sucked.

in.

Do they enjoy winning? Do they like being in front?? Do they enjoy helping their teammates out on the football field? Is the bond of playing for each other on the field most important and can they ignore outside noise which will come? Can Melbourne rise above the bullshit trying to drag them down from offfield? Are they better than that or are they just another run of the mill team?
17 wins in a row says Yes to all of your questions.

It is not drivel at all.
It's actually the biggest load of garbage ever posted on bigfooty, and I've been posting here constantly for years.

Is winning part of their DNA? Do they want to win? Do they want to achieve, do they want to succeed? Do they enjoy winning?
Nah mate, Dees don't want to win. We hate winning, I saw the grand final, several times in fact, they didn't look happy at all. Havin' a s**t time, everyone.

Smashed every campaigner off the park last seventeen games in a row by accident.

Didn't mean to kick 100 points in a quarter and a half in a grand final against the greatestest midfield of all time. (Did you know no team has kicked 100 points that quickly since there was a team called South Melbourne? Happened back in 1935, or so I've been told).

Two consecutive seasons kicked off with 8+ wins in a row, only happened two other times in the history of the sport, what are the chances of doing that without even trying?

Amazing innit, not magic "winning DNA", and yet here we are, literally shitting on everyone in our way, coming up to the halfway mark of the season and not a single team has come within a bee's dick.

God help the rest of the competition if we start trying.

It is not drivel at all.

Melbourne had every right to pump north and did not.

Sure North was having more of a crack early but it looked like some where going though the motions in the first half especially

What will happen now is the talk, Melbourne need to lose one, Melbourne need to have a break, Melbourne should rest players. It is always a given in these situations. Melbourne need to do a pre-season within the season

It is clear to me, Melbourne need to revisit why they are playing? Why they want to win? Why they want to do it in front of their fans? Why they want to play for each other?? What are the benefits of helping each other, doing the hard yards and ignoring the score sheet.

news miss GIF

Winning's winning.

It's actually the biggest load of garbage ever posted on bigfooty, and I've been posting here constantly for years.

Nah mate, Dees don't want to win. We hate winning, I saw the grand final, several times in fact, they didn't look happy at all. Havin' a s**t time, everyone.

Smashed every campaigner off the park last seventeen games in a row by accident.

Didn't mean to kick 100 points in a quarter and a half in a grand final against the greatestest midfield of all time. (Did you know no team has kicked 100 points that quickly since there was a team called South Melbourne? Happened back in 1935, or so I've been told).

Two consecutive seasons kicked off with 8+ wins in a row, only happened two other times in the history of the sport, what are the chances of doing that without even trying?

Amazing innit, not magic "winning DNA", and yet here we are, literally shitting on everyone in our way, coming up to the halfway mark of the season and not a single team has come within a bee's dick.

God help the rest of the competition if we start trying.
The grand final was ancient history.

Can you do it again against different opposition? Good chance the opposition will be better going forward

What makes you think you are shitting on teams?? Look at the Bombers of 2000 and 2001. Won a lot of games, one premiership.

A lot just depends on who you are playing. I am asking how Melbourne are going, how are they improving?

17 wins in a row is nothing special, seriously
Yeah, only the eighth longest streak in 125 years of VFL/AFL history. Piss poor, Goodwin should resign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back