Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

If you're talking about Naughton. Like I said:

Will be 23 next month. You're comparing a 23 year old to a 19 year old. 4 years is a big difference in trades. JHF potential is also higher if you'd ask most neutral supporters.
Could JHF be a top 10 player one day. Maybe. Naughton? Probably not.

Naughton would fetch more and I rate JHF massively. KPF’s don’t grow on trees. If he asked to go you’d be talking pick 1 plus another pick 10 ish at least.

Port aren’t paying for what he is now, they’re paying for what they think he could become. If he reaches his potential, has the tools to be one of the best players in the league later in his career.

Is he better than any of those players now? No.

But could he be later in his career? Certainly.
Footy is full of early picks, even midfielders, who took a while to become outstanding footballers. Ablett Jr, Petracca, Hodge...

Naughton would fetch more and I rate JHF massively. KPF’s don’t grow on trees. If he asked to go you’d be talking pick 1 plus another pick 10 ish at least.
I think on the Harry McKay thread I saw Carlton fans say they wouldn't do him for pick 1, which if I were Carlton, I wouldn't do that deal either. But JHF is basically like a draft pick, he is still a mostly unknown commodity.

If you're talking about Naughton. Like I said:

Will be 23 next month. You're comparing a 23 year old to a 19 year old. 4 years is a big difference in trades. JHF potential is also higher if you'd ask most neutral supporters.
Could JHF be a top 10 player one day. Maybe. Naughton? Probably not.
I’m not asking what age they are, I’m asking if these players asked for a trade to port, with 1 year left on their contract what would the price be?

Cam McCarthy is the perfect example, sat out the year and GWS got very little back the next year, only an upgrade on their first rounder and a pick in the 30s if I recall correctly
The sad irony about that Cam McCarthy trade is had GWS did the deal in 2015, they would of got pick 16 in 2015 and pick 3 in 2016.

Saying that, not many predicted Freo to collapse like they did in 2016.

As for that Cam McCarthy trade in 2016.

It was Freos pick 3 for pick 8 (Griffen Logue) pick 32 (Brennan Cox or Sean Darcy) and pick 72 (Luke Ryan).

Saying that. Despite Cam McCarthy gone and Griffen Logue going to North, I would still do that trade again

I think on the Harry McKay thread I saw Carlton fans say they wouldn't do him for pick 1, which if I were Carlton, I wouldn't do that deal either. But JHF is basically like a draft pick, he is still a mostly unknown commodity.

He is but right now Naughton is worth more he just is. Look would I trade for him no. However if you asked a value, he’d fetch more right now. JHF hasn’t gone worse than his pick but he hasn’t improved it. Let’s say for arguments sake Daicos and Darcy are the two best talents last year and JHF is 3rd. He’s worth about pick 2/3 right now.

I’m not asking what age they are, I’m asking if these players asked for a trade to port, with 1 year left on their contract what would the price be?

Top 2 pick this year plus top 10 or equivalent next year you’d assume. JHF is worth more than pick 8 and a likely teens pick of some sort.

Footy is full of early picks, even midfielders, who took a while to become outstanding footballers. Ablett Jr, Petracca, Hodge...
Yep, there's been plenty of elite players that didn't set the world on fire in their rookie year. Petracca and Gaz in particular took a while to get going, but showed enough flashes in the early years to make you think they could have an enormous ceiling. JHF in the same boat.

Naughton is overrated. Been saying it for a while now. But it's a pointless analogy as he doesn't look like he will leave the Bulldogs any time soon

Yep, there's been plenty of elite players that didn't set the world on fire in their rookie year. Petracca and Gaz in particular took a while to get going, but showed enough flashes in the early years to make you think they could have an enormous ceiling. JHF in the same boat.
I guess the argument for every GAJ (a supremely talented player who took a while to a while to fufill his potential) there is a De Goey or Stringer who's issues have persisted and hasn't been the player they have promised to be. Good players, particularly De Goey, just not something you'd trade multiple firsts + more in hindsight.

There's a risk to everything. JHF could go to Port and do f*ck all, the chances of that happening? Not worth speculating but it is a real possibility.

Although, If Port trade multiple firsts + change the likeliness of this ending in disaster is higher for them IMO. Hogan at Fremantle is a prime example.

I think so too. So I'm not sure what he (@philty05) is whinging about. Port would need to cough up more than what they are now for JHF.
Whinging.

I asked a simple question which you’ve gone on about an awful lot without answering it.
Pretty sure I answered it with the very sentence that you quoted.
But I can paint it out for you if you'd like:

JHF: Pick 8, 2023 First, a player
Naughton: Pick 8, 2023 First, a player + more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if already posted, but have it on good authority that Port are looking to package up the 3 picks for Bris Pick 15 and throw 8,15 & future 1st to North for JHF.

Not sure if already posted, but have it on good authority that Port are looking to package up the 3 picks for Bris Pick 15 and throw 8,15 & future 1st to North for JHF.
I get the points for the father son but if my club traded pick 15 for a pick in the 30s, 40s and 50s I’d be so pissed… plus with Dunkley coming in it’s hard to imagine

This is very upsetting.

There is nothing surer than JHF being a top 5 mid in the comp at some stage in his career. And I genuinely think he could be the best player in the comp. His contested work is outrageous. And whilst he needs to work on how to find the footy on the outside, once he gets it, his speed, decision making and foot skills are top shelf.

He was the 3rd highest ranked 18 year old this year, and he didn’t even want to be at north.

If it were possible, and I was guaranteed he’d play out his career at north, I’d happily use pick 1 this year on him, along with last years no 1 pick.

Seems like massive overs IMO.

Does JHF go pick 1 in this draft? I know he'd be top 3/4 but does he go 1?

Edit
This isnt some "i know he doesnt!" Bait. I genuinely am interested in opinions

Behind an Ashcroft bid and Wardlaw (ironically on the interstate factor) for mine

Last edited:
Nice. Let’s ditch the idea of adding their Bergman to our Bergman and instead Clarko can use 8 for Jhye Clark and 15 for the Saints’ Hunter Clark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back