Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

That being said, do you think there would/should be any questions asked of Adrian for declining Sydney’s offer this year ?

I very much doubt Adrian was the one who made the call on that one. I was in the let him leave camp and am in the Dodoro has been good since he was shifted away from drafting camp but why not try someone new.

I very much doubt Adrian was the one who made the call on that one. I was in the let him leave camp and am in the Dodoro has been good since he was shifted away from drafting camp but why not try someone new.
He is the general manager of list and recruiting - who is else makes the call? Its what he is employed to do.

If as you say, Daniher is “cooked” someone has really dropped the ball in refusing Sydney’s offer this year.
If not Adrian, then who ?
Dan the man ?
Or maybe even pressure from board level ?

He is the general manager of list and recruiting - who is else makes the call? Its what he is employed to do.
The Shiel deal was closed by Dan Richardson, head of football. Dan Richardson was also the key person answering questions about Daniher.

Xavier Campbell is also involved in some capacity, and a decision that big would not be made if the rest of the executive were putting pressure on Dodoro to do the deal.

It is well known that various employees of clubs are involved in recruiting, such as the board, coaches, captain, and leadership group.

It would seem that Essendon is no different- our recruiting decisions involve more than one person. Does that really surprise you or are you just that keen to nail Dodoro for everything you think is wrong with Essendon?

The Shiel deal was closed by Dan Richardson, head of football. Dan Richardson was also the key person answering questions about Daniher.

Xavier Campbell is also involved in some capacity, and a decision that big would not be made if the rest of the executive were putting pressure on Dodoro to do the deal.

It is well known that various employees of clubs are involved in recruiting, such as the board, coaches, captain, and leadership group.

It would seem that Essendon is no different- our recruiting decisions involve more than one person. Does that really surprise you or are you just that keen to nail Dodoro for everything you think is wrong with Essendon?
No I have spent time at the highest level and they all had clearly defined roles - Dodoro should ask for advise from the football manager and CEO but the buck stops with him with what decision is made. If he is getting over ruled in a list management decision by the CEO then that has to be an issue.

You seem as keen to absolve him of all responsibility than I am to nail him for the failed Daniher trade.

No I have spent time at the highest level and they all had clearly defined roles - Dodoro should ask for advise from the football manager and CEO but the buck stops with him with what decision is made. If he is getting over ruled in a list management decision by the CEO then that has to be an issue.

You seem as keen to absolve him of all responsibility than I am to nail him for the failed Daniher trade.
I’m not absolving him of responsibility, but expecting him to be held solely responsible for a decision that affects the entire organisation and broadly puts most of the leadership of the club in the gun is pretty simplistic. The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone, etc.

I'm of the understanding that big decisions are put to the board. It would be pretty negligent of the board not to have oversight of decisions that have such massive and lasting repercussions as this one will have, whatever decision is made.

I don't think the board vetoed Daniher's trade outright or it wouldn't have dragged out as it did (or even been leaked publicly), but there were definitely conditions put on it, that is we wanted a direct replacement before we'd agree to break Daniher's contract.

Whether you believe that the conditions of breaking the contract and agreeing to a trade came from the board, or was the brain child of Adrian himself is up to you, but common sense tells me that he didn't do that by himself.

I would prefer Essendon to be run this way but it’s clear that like plenty of other sporting clubs it’s just not the case.

Dan the man calling the shots on both the Shiel and Daniher cases.
I guess Adrian now at least knows where he rates at Tullamarine these days when the big list management decisions go down, his position on the executive notwithstanding ...

Didn't he sign 3 year 2 million dollar deal in 2017? You haven't had a very good return on investment and a massive chance to get less that what you were offered for him last year.
That’s the risk you take signing any player.
Going forward, I’d prefer him on the list than not.

I guess Adrian now at least knows where he rates at Tullamarine these days when the big list management decisions go down, his position on the executive notwithstanding ...

What a job Adrian has got. List Manager and Executive Board member, yet apparently not making any decisions.

Kinda like Doc Reid was the doctor but not making any decisions.

:think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must have been a hard decision, but right now it looks like a very poor decision.

Essendon could have walked away with Stephens & Kemp / Young & Flanders etc. and had them one year wiser come next year....but no.
It's just so hard to know what happened here. So many conflicting reports. From what I can work out Pick 5 was off the table in opening discussions and The Swans wouldn't trade player against their wishes (Heeney, Mills etc) which probably raised the ire of Dodoro.

It's still a bit unclear what the final offer was, but Tom Harley stated that not even picks 5 and 9 would have got it done. "As recently as midway through the final day we were told unequivocally that picks No.5 and No.9, as two draft picks, wouldn't get it done,"

Picks 5 and 9 would have been very generous IMHO, and if it's true it was offered Dodoro should (probably would) have jumped at it. Which leads me to believe there were other factor involved or 'strings attached' which made the deal fall over.

It's also come to light that Zac Jones and Tom Papley were offered as part of a trade. Neither of which were of interest to Essendon.

I don't know how Bombers fans would have felt about a pick/player package for Daniher, but surely they could have worked out something along the lines of:
- Sydney Trade Papley to Carlton for Pick 9,
- Sydney Trade 9, 36 and Jones (keep Pick 5 and take it to the Draft)
- Bombers take Flanders at 9 and Taylor at 36 at the Draft.

i.e. Daniher for Flanders, Taylor and Jones.

I actually reckon that sounds reasonable for both parties.

Perhaps efc’s refusal to trade Daniher stemmed from the thought of a McKernan/Stewart KPF setup.
As it stands now, that setup may well be on the cards anyway and the payday via trade for Daniher will have bolted ...

I think it’s much more likely to be that Essendon didn’t want to lose it’s marquee player.

I also don’t think Essendon rated pick 9 in this draft particularly highly....Cue another Carlton supporter in this thread trying to drag kemp and Philips into the discussion.

As opposed to what? Does your list manager make unilateral decisions about players on multi-million dollar contracts that cost multiple first round picks?

I've explained in the quoted post below what I think is going on. You can take it or leave it, whatever suits your agenda.
I’m not absolving him of responsibility, but expecting him to be held solely responsible for a decision that affects the entire organisation and broadly puts most of the leadership of the club in the gun is pretty simplistic. The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone, etc.

I'm of the understanding that big decisions are put to the board. It would be pretty negligent of the board not to have oversight of decisions that have such massive and lasting repercussions as this one will have, whatever decision is made.

I don't think the board vetoed Daniher's trade outright or it wouldn't have dragged out as it did (or even been leaked publicly), but there were definitely conditions put on it, that is we wanted a direct replacement before we'd agree to break Daniher's contract.

Whether you believe that the conditions of breaking the contract and agreeing to a trade came from the board, or was the brain child of Adrian himself is up to you, but common sense tells me that he didn't do that by himself.

Dodoro was an absolute fool not to trade him for pick 9 plus whatever else Sydney were offering. Will be very interesting to see if this finally wakes Essendon supporters up to how terribly overrated he is (Dodoro, not Daniher) or if they keep chugging the kool aid. History suggests the latter.

Dodoro was an absolute fool not to trade him for pick 9 plus whatever else Sydney were offering. Will be very interesting to see if this finally wakes Essendon supporters up to how terribly overrated he is (Dodoro, not Daniher) or if they keep chugging the kool aid. History suggests the latter.

You'll be surprised how man Essendon supporters would be happy to get rid of Dodoro.

Dodoro has his faults but he does his best work at the trade table his drafting is hit or miss

Not as big a fools as Sydney were for offering it in the first place. Essendon should have taken it and run, and thanked there lucky stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back