Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends how keen the Bombers are to offload his salary.

i dont think things are that tight in our cap so we can probably take the punt.

i wouldn't exactly be signing him to a big long term deal. At end of 2020 id throw 3 years at 800K at him with extension clauses if he plays X amount of games. If someone wants to take on more risk then that than fair game to him.

sydney are well known to rehab players and turn lemons into good players.

but the issue is does Sydney want to take on another risky key forward with buddy still having 4 years left? with a heavily back ended contract?

To get Daniher they would have to offer 900K + do the trade. Hes on about 700k now at bombers.

Just dont see it happening.
Sydney have massive cap room probably largest in AFL after offloading last year and Tippets contract now paid for..

sydney are well known to rehab players and turn lemons into good players.

but the issue is does Sydney want to take on another risky key forward with buddy still having 4 years left? with a heavily back ended contract?

To get Daniher they would have to offer 900K + do the trade. Hes on about 700k now at bombers.

Just dont see it happening.
Not if your cap is tight & he is keen on the move. I know such moves to the Swans can seem all about big money, but this one with Daniher seems more a lifestyle change for him. Sure he needs to be well paid but the Swans would not go down the Buddy path with him.

Tippett, McVeigh, Grundy, Smith, Jack.
Even if they were on 400K each, that leaves $2M on the table. Now I think Tippo's & Macca's may have been a little more.
On top of Hannerbury and Rohan Swans would be looking at closer to 3m

On top of Hannerbury and Rohan Swans would be looking at closer to 3m
Yeah true but there would be some increases as expected for other players but there would also be the annual increase in the cap for all teams as well.

It's fair to say the club are no Bunnies in this field & do what's necessary to go forward.

Just won't go away Daniher to Swans must be some truth to it.

Would be very surprised to see Daniher want to leave Essendon, and Essendon happy to give him up.

Maybe from Essendon's POV Joe's body and injury issues is just too unreliable...cash in now while he still has currency and maybe a team like Sydney think they can get his body right.

What would Essendon fans accept? Straight swap for pick 4?

Would be very surprised to see Daniher want to leave Essendon, and Essendon happy to give him up.

Maybe from Essendon's POV Joe's body and injury issues is just too unreliable...cash in now while he still has currency and maybe a team like Sydney think they can get his body right.

If Joe wants out yeah I would do it.

Last edited:

If Hogan was worth 6 and 23 then Daniher is worth 4 and a mid first rounder, minimum.

He’s a 25yo All Aust key forward who’s unstoppable when he’s up and going. He’d be one of the most valuable players in the league at the trade table.

If Hogan was worth 6 and 23 then Daniher is worth 4 and a mid first rounder, minimum.

He’s a 25yo All Aust key forward who’s unstoppable when he’s up and going. He’d be one of the most valuable players in the league at the trade table.

Agree with that although Daniher has had basically 2 years straight of injury issues which may lower his value.

Hogan has had his fair share of injuries but nothing that caused him to sit almost 2 years out straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippett, McVeigh, Grundy, Smith, Jack.
Even if they were on 400K each, that leaves $2M on the table. Now I think Tippo's & Macca's may have been a little more.

Your forgetting the Franklin contract which was the most backended in AFL history given when they picked him up.

He’d probably be on $1.5m for the next 3 seasons. Potentially even higher.

Sizable honker too, and the stache to save some for later. Think it’s fair to say there’s issues with that type of thing at all clubs though, young blokes who are canonised and paid a s**t tonne of cash are always predisposed to the bag. Stockbrokers, investment bankers, lawyers et al.

There’s definitely a chance he goes, doesn’t love the fishbowl of Melbourne and hasn’t felt well managed from an injury point of view. Sense tells me that (along with our other injury challenges) is a big part of Justin Crow being moved on. I’d love him to stick around, get his body right and display the joy he previously has onfield. He’s just about the best player in the comp to watch when he’s playing, brings a bit of everything, joy, frustration, laughs and jaw dropping screamers/65m goals. Selfishly he’s also almost undefendable and if he kicked straight would be just about the best player in the game so it’s best if he’s got my team’s jumper on.

If he goes, the sun will still rise and we get on with life. It’d hurt no doubt and reopen some Gavin (2nd best after Urquhart) Wanganeen shaped wounds but I’d wish him the best and still love the way he goes about it.

Great post.

First bolded part is very true. It seems pretty apparent that a happy bloke hasn't been happy for a while.

Second bolded part is also very true. Joe is just about my favorite player to watch for all those reasons. As much as i hate Essendon, i've always liked Joe and have said that on here more than once.

As much of an entertainer and bloody good footyer that Joe is, i hope he gets happy again wherever he plays. Seems like a good egg.

Daniher has kicked 15 goals in 11 games over the last 2 years.

Body issues and genuine average form when has played over the last 2 years diminishes his value

Your forgetting the Franklin contract which was the most backended in AFL history given when they picked him up.

You're forgetting that in the 2020 (next season), the salary cap has increased close to $3M since 2016, easily covering the increase in Buddy's salary. It is reported to be $1.5M for the next two years & $1M in his final year, 2022.

Sorry to dampen your excitement on the matter, but we started addressing our sudden cap issues on the back of the corrupt AFL trade ban & CoLA removal as soon as we needed to & are now cashed up in order to have a good crack at this draft & trade period.

Only an extra $200,000 to fit in for 2 years then we open up $500,000 for 2022 before he is off the books.

Not if your cap is tight & he is keen on the move. I know such moves to the Swans can seem all about big money, but this one with Daniher seems more a lifestyle change for him. Sure he needs to be well paid but the Swans would not go down the Buddy path with him.

Indeed, I reckon Sydney sniff the chance for massive unders here.

Daniher has kicked 15 goals in 11 games over the last 2 years.

Body issues and genuine average form when has played over the last 2 years diminishes his value

Because he's been injured.

Even playing injured he did things this year that showed he's a special talent.

Because he's been injured.

Even playing injured he did things this year that showed he's a special talent.
Yeah this. 2017 he kicked 62 goals (enough to finish 3rd in the Coleman this year) and was jumping on blokes’ heads at will as a 23yo. He kicked 4 in a final as a 20yo beanpole in his second year. Kicked 4 on ANZAC day this year playing hurt on a fit and firing Darcy Moore. He gets fit he’s borderline top 10 in the comp in my book given key forwards tend to come on later in their careers. He does some things (good and bad) that basically nobody in the comp can do. People forget how good this guy can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back