Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Two out the four statements I made were fact.

Joe Daniher is contracted.
Sydney failed to make the trade (Dodoro was very clear about wanting to keep Joe)

2 out of 4 equals 50%. Apparently your maths is about as good as your reading comprehension.
Let's go through them:

They targeted a contracted player,
Not a fact, you don't know who initiated the discussion.

no doubt made assurances to him they would make true trade to convince him to nominate which they couldn’t follow through on.
Not a fact, you don't know what was said between any of the parties.

Obviously had no discussions with Essendon about how much they valued him or what it would take to make a trade prior to trade week. Total incompetence.

Again, not a fact.

I'll give you credit though, you mentioned he was contacted and no trade was reached, so good on you for that, I guess.

Which indicates you see players as assets. Fair enough. I see them as human beings.

Before you have a sook, I wanted us to trade Papley too.
Human beings and assets. If joe had said he needed to leave Melbourne for mental health reasons I would believe him. But I would also doubt that a change of location would help that much if it was actual mental illness he was suffering from. If he wants a I change his lifestyle, fair enough. Do it in a year when your contract ends.

Let's go through them:

Not a fact, you don't know who initiated the discussion.

Not a fact, you don't know what was said between any of the parties.

Again, not a fact.

I'll give you credit though, you mentioned he was contacted and no trade was reached, so good on you for that, I guess.
Ok I’m not actually that interests in continuing a s**t fight to be honest.

But I’m surprised that people are somehow seeing Essendon as the bad guy in this situation. Also very surprised at how dodo supposedly held up the trade to the very last minute by not agreeing to a trade that was less than his asking price.

You keep believing that.
Just like Kelly went to the other WA team. He wasn't a free agent though.
You have issues at you club. Why else would Fantasia & Daniher expressed their intentions to leave only to be strong armed into staying against their will.
This won't end up being the lovey dovey happily ever after story you are expecting.
Absolute BS in regards to Fantasia so not sure why you keep peddling this mistruth

Gws cant afford him and he didnt ask to go to Brisbane.
He could play 5 games next year.
What if Cameron decides he wants to come back to Melbourne? Easy swap if Joe has a big year.

As for games played, who knows? Could play 20 next year and none after or could barely miss a game.

Lots of things can happen

What if Cameron decides he wants to come back to Melbourne? Easy swap if Joe has a big year.

As for games played, who knows? Could play 20 next year and none after or could barely miss a game.

If I was GWS I'd feel like I was getting the short end of the straw on this deal. Cameron is the Coleman medallist and Daniher is a great KPF who has dodgy groins.

He did say 'if' Joe has a big year. (Joe was a previous AA)... but yes, based on recent years Cameron is miles in front of Joe.

We don't know what to expect with Daniher. Osteitis Pubis is not an easy injury for an athlete to recover from. It is quite possible that he may not be the same player after this injury. He could come back and find he has lost a lot of lot power and core strength and may find it hard to get it back.

If I was GWS I'd feel like I was getting the short end of the straw on this deal. Cameron is the Coleman medallist and Daniher is a great KPF who has dodgy groins.

Couple of add ins to even it up. Joe didn’t finish too far away in ‘17.

I did say if Joe has a big year. If they both kick 60+

I'd be disappointed in myself if I came to a conclusion the same as Tom Harley.

If he was desperate to get out out Melbourne due to mental health concerns, there were 7 other clubs that could have accommodated that. But no, he said he wanted to move specifically to Sydney for lifestyle reasons. He probably should have put more thought into his desired lifestyle before he signed a contract worth millions. Football is a business and players obviously recognise this by seeking to make deals that benefit them the most financially. They have to also accept that clubs will make business decisions that most benefit them, which includes holding a player to a binding contract they signed.

Joe's options weren't as broad as you think. For example if he wants a low key life, coming to WA or SA wouldn't be an option. While it isn't the bubble that Melbourne is, high profile footballers in two team AFL states have a pretty strong glare on them.
Given his families connection to the Bloods and his personal relationship with Harley, it makes perfect sense that he would nominate them.

The point you made is interesting and seems to be a bit of an internal debate AFL and the clubs are trying to do with. FWIW, my personal opinion is there is little value in a club retaining the services of a player who does not. wish to be there. Like any job, unhappy employees are not usually the most productive. I also think it has potential to seep into the culture of the club and effect the vibe of the playing group. In that sense, I'm not sure if it is a wise business decision at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe's options weren't as broad as you think. For example if he wants a low key life, coming to WA or SA wouldn't be an option. While it isn't the bubble that Melbourne is, high profile footballers in two team AFL states have a pretty strong glare on them.
Given his families connection to the Bloods and his personal relationship with Harley, it makes perfect sense that he would nominate them.

The point you made is interesting and seems to be a bit of an internal debate AFL and the clubs are trying to do with. FWIW, my personal opinion is there is little value in a club retaining the services of a player who does not. wish to be there. Like any job, unhappy employees are not usually the most productive. I also think it has potential to seep into the culture of the club and effect the vibe of the playing group. In that sense, I'm not sure if it is a wise business decision at all.
Depends on the situation I think. Obviously Kelly did ok for Geelong this year. In our situation with no way to replace joe, and obviously feeling that the relationship hadn’t been destroyed, then I thin it makes total sense to keep him. There’s a good chance he’ll leave next year but we now have a year to prepare for him to go. If we felt he’d have a net negative impact staying then for sure the smartest business decision would be to trade. Also think there’s a pretty good chance he’ll stay. May have just been seeking more financial security. I don’t think he’d avoid the spotlight that much being Sydney’s spearhead. Go to qld if you really want to be anonymous.

But making up a sequence of events to label someone is incompetent is all above board.
Oh, your post above was serious. Haha. Sydney failed to get Joe traded to them, and despite EFC saying that picks were no use, Sydney continued to offer draft picks. That's the definition of incompetent. I will leave you to your Kool-Aid drinking.

The Swans offered players. Again, you guys are making things up.

They offered #9 and a future first on the last day... not made up. Yes, Sydney continued to offer picks but never offered pick 5.

Papley and Jones had already nominated other clubs and ‘weren't players that would have satisfied the need of Joe Daniher leaving." and would have needed to be accompanied with....

Last edited:
The Swans offered players. Again, you guys are making things up.

Did they?

Harley named Papley and Jones. Are we really to believe that Papley AND Jones were going to just switch their preferences late in the trade period after publicly declaring for other teams?

Harley is in damage control because he knows the Vic Media is going to go very hard on him for the next 12 months. (Which I personally think is unfair)

One thing guaranteed is another 12 months of bleeting and whining coming from Essendon supporters.

I expect Joe would have reached GOAT status within 6 months

To not put 5 and/or a top young player on the table says Sydney were not fair dinkum.
They didnt even have 5 and 9 on the table.

None of those top young players would have been willing to go and clubs knowing that dont put them on the table. We dont have nba style trading.

Suspect it's weasel words from both sides - Dodoro "They never offered 5 + 9" Probably means Sydney never offered those picks without something coming back to them. Harley "They wouldn't have taken 5 + 9" is quite clearly dancing around the have you offered it question.

One thing I don't understand is how Sydney supporters can be annoyed we held a bloke to contract? I mean you guys did the exact same thing with Papley and the whole we won't trade Papley for Pick 9 unless we get Daniher really devalues pick 9 as an asset don't you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back