Analysis Lack of genuine midfield depth. No half back accumulators.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This has been one of my biggest irritations over the past 12-18 months. We have very very limited midfield depth. We got found out last night for genuine midfielders once we lost Swallow and Cunnington to injury. We currently carry way too many flankers who can't play a role elsewhere. None of our half backs or half forwards can step up and play midfield when we need them to.

Over the past 18 months we've only had 9 players consistently attend the centre square setups those players are: Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Wells, Dal Santo, Gibson, Jacobs and Dumont. Higgins thrown in there occasionally. Two of those players weren't player last night, and two of them were injured. It left us well short. As soon cunners took that big knock he should have been parked at FF while someone else attended his role in the midfield.

To put this into perspective Geelong used Danger, Selwood, Bartel, Guthrie, Motlop, Blicavs, Duncan, Caddy and Murdoch in one game! While the Bulldogs rotate the likes of: Bont, Stevens, Libba, Wallis, Honeychruch, McRae, Hunter, Boyd, Dalhaus, Picken, Daniel, Dunkley and Jong.

We really need to develop a few of our players so they can play as genuine midfielders when we need to change momentum or cover
For injuries. Dumont needs more game time, Thomas, Wood, McMillan, Atley and McDonald all need to spend some time in there so that we have more depth when injuries occur. The other thing is, is that we need to be able to relieve the workload on our clearance mids. Ziebell, Cunnington and Spitta have a mountain of workload compared to most of our other players. It might not be shown in TOG% but it's the bash and crash nature of their position that takes a toll on their body across a whole season. We need a couple more who can go in and win a few clearances.

Secondly, we are crying out for one of our half backs to stand up and take control. We need someone who can work a bit harder and get their hands on the footy more often to set up across half back. So many clubs have an accumulator off half back who you can rely on to provide an option and set up play. All of our half backs and back pockets average under 20 touches per game. McMillan is starting to get it more, but most of his touches tend to be up the ground. If we are really going to be a genuine threat I really think Atley or Mcdonald need to play that role.

I reckon last night would have a good chance to see what Luke Mac can do in there.

Exactly, while it was a courageous performance, it was a night where someone could have written a new chapter to their career.

At one stage we had an injured Dal and Cunners in the centre square while Danger and Selwood just waltzed out of the place.

It's time we backed some of the players to go to another level.

Get Lachie Neale, Brad Crouch or Jaeger O'Meara, problem solved

1 player won't fix the problem. We need our blokes to add more strings to their bow. Too many of our blokes are pigeon holed as flankers. Think Garner, Turner, Thomas, McMillan, Mullett, Atley, Firrito, Wright and Mckenzie.

I think we need to relax. 3 of our key cogs in the midfield were injured last night. This won't happen again. I do agree it would have been a good chance to see what Atley and LMac can do in there, but then who plays Half Back? Cant have an injured NDS/Cunners there. It was good seeing Lindsay in there though.

All the criticism would be fair enough if the injuries didn't happen. Unfortunately the task became too much for our remaining fit mids in Ziebell, Wells and Gibson without Swallow out for 3 quarters and Cunners and Dal on 1 leg each for close to the same amount of time.

I think its a cop out to say that just because we had those injuries, centre clearance work and structure was excusable. Yes they are important players, but the problem is these things can happen in a game and you have to be able to cover and change positions across the ground. Could have parked Cunners near the top of the square who can then use his body and footy nous to take advantage. His hands are certainly capable. NDS could have played in the pocket. Should have played LT, Harvey at the centre with the former providing some good attack on the ball whilst the latter can provide that outside class with Wells on the spread. Also LMac should have gone in there with his mongrel. After a few of those clearances early in the 3rd for Geelong, these changes could have been made yet the coach continues to back in a structure that clearly struggled. Sometimes you just have to cop it and say, this clearly isn't working so why not throw the opposition a bit of a curveball.

I think its a cop out to say that just because we had those injuries, centre clearance work and structure was excusable. Yes they are important players, but the problem is these things can happen in a game and you have to be able to cover and change positions across the ground. Could have parked Cunners near the top of the square who can then use his body and footy nous to take advantage. His hands are certainly capable. NDS could have played in the pocket. Should have played LT, Harvey at the centre with the former providing some good attack on the ball whilst the latter can provide that outside class with Wells on the spread. Also LMac should have gone in there with his mongrel. After a few of those clearances early in the 3rd for Geelong, these changes could have been made yet the coach continues to back in a structure that clearly struggled. Sometimes you just have to cop it and say, this clearly isn't working so why not throw the opposition a bit of a curveball.
It's not that cut and dry. You can move LT or Boomer into the middle but who then replaces LT and Boomer up forward? You can move Dal to a pocket then who replaces him in the midfield? Point is, it doesn't matter where you move injured players, they will still struggle to ply their role or have an impact. You can deal with 1 injury and win which is pretty difficult anyway but when you have 3 within the first quarter and a bit, you are all but cooked.

1 player won't fix the problem. We need our blokes to add more strings to their bow. Too many of our blokes are pigeon holed as flankers. Think Garner, Turner, Thomas, McMillan, Mullett, Atley, Firrito, Wright and Mckenzie.
No doubt.

But would certainly be a good starting point to bring in one of those young gun mids.

Along with as you said rotate other players through the middle

It's not that cut and dry. You can move LT or Boomer into the middle but who then replaces LT and Boomer up forward? You can move Dal to a pocket then who replaces him in the midfield? Point is, it doesn't matter where you move injured players, they will still struggle to ply their role or have an impact. You can deal with 1 injury and win which is pretty difficult anyway but when you have 3 within the first quarter and a bit, you are all but cooked.

Agree with your premise. But it all starts in the middle, and if your carrying hindered players through there than that reduces your chances of a) winning the ball and b) stopping the opposition from gaining easy clearances. Perhaps not a move for the entire remainder of the game, but just to see if it would have an impact. Cunners could barely run and is an automatic liability defensively in the middle. Dal although not to that extent, would perhaps be in a similar position.

Agree with your premise. But it all starts in the middle, and if your carrying hindered players through there than that reduces your chances of a) winning the ball and b) stopping the opposition from gaining easy clearances. Perhaps not a move for the entire remainder of the game, but just to see if it would have an impact. Cunners could barely run and is an automatic liability defensively in the middle. Dal although not to that extent, would perhaps be in a similar position.
It does all start in the middle but what happens when it goes forward where a injured Cunnington or Dal Santo is playing? I'll tell you, it gets rebounded at a rapid rate from half back. There was no fixing or solution to what happened last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to point out the big fat elephant in the room, BUT isn't it the coaching staffs job to assign the players their role. Yep sure Ats Lmac and bmac and fish could rotate in the middle but they can't really setup at the centre without those instructions. As a team they were expected to just carry on as normal, no hint of change to the structure. Kinda like how we have carried nahas and the triple towers for the last month. Boomer and others have won 2 of 4 with no help from the towers or nahas. Coaching/selection staff need to change s**t up, one more mid and drop nahas could have helped but no we carry an under performing nahas..

Don't think it's that they're not capable of running through the middle, more that they're never given the chance.
Exactly, and when one hears comments "you're robbing Peter to pay Paul" you'd think its worth throwing a LMac ,BMac (Only because he was playing midfield at VFL last year) or even Atley a run (He didn't do much last night)

Every Nth fan knew we were going to push the "proverbial cart" uphill when we see Swallow then Cunners and a little later we all knew that Goldstein wasn't really ready to come back and play........it was worth going to plan "E" and see what and who stands up.

Ive made statements before about Cunnington looking lazy at times.................I thought it was interesting when they show footage of Scott asking Cunners to give little extra or going beyond the threshold of pain ( probably armed with the knowledge that no serious injury from the cork would have an adverse effect on Cunnington after the game).

Last edited:
Been the past decade and more. 2015 first draft designed to alleviate this issue. Until they come through, we will be thin without a Collingwood-esque preseason spendathon

Agree with the OP
more rotations within games and across the season into the midfield is essential.... I just dont see LT adding anything in there but Atley would have been a worthy consideration on Friday

Agree with the OP
more rotations within games and across the season into the midfield is essential.... I just dont see LT adding anything in there but Atley would have been a worthy consideration on Friday
Atley should have spent a little time in the middle but with Swallow gone and Cunnington on one leg, what we were really lacking was grunt which isn't something we generally have a issue with. I do agree with the OP though, we need more players who can rotate in the middle. These days players need to be multi-skilled with duel roles to cover other positions on the ground if need be.

Atley is almost 24 and played 121 games yet hasn't been able to get into the midfield, it ain't gunna happen.
He's never going to be a full time midfielder like we all thought it would early on in his career, I think most of us gave up on that transition years ago, but he should be able to play short bursts there when needed.

Add a fully fit Swallow, NDS and Cunnington to stop the ball getting out so easily and Jacobs to tag and it's a different story. Selwood and Dangerfield basically took turns spreading hard from a stoppage, knowing we couldn't really do much about it.

Atley should have spent a little time in the middle but with Swallow gone and Cunnington on one leg, what we were really lacking was grunt which isn't something we generally have a issue with. I do agree with the OP though, we need more players who can rotate in the middle. These days players need to be multi-skilled with duel roles to cover other positions on the ground if need be.

It would have been worth throwing McDonald in.

I'm not sure parking two injured players in the forward line would have worked very well. Cunners could barely run and Nicky Dal was restricted. In the event that the ball went in their direction, the opposing defenders would have easily outpointed them in the race for the ball and then run off them and created more attacking options for the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back