Melbourne Legend Robert Flower passes away.

Remove this Banner Ad

I normally don't get upset when virtual strangers die but this one hurts.

My first Melbourne jumper had his number on the back when I was about 2.

Met him one day when I was a teenager and served his family at a hotel I was working at. Had to tell him how much I loved him as a player. Could not have possibly been a nicer bloke about me fawning all over him.

Vale Robbie.

Pretty sad that the MFC has had several legend players and top blokes gone before their time in recent years.

:( Deepest condolences to his family and friends, as well as the MFC supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shocked - what a s**t year and a s**t run the Dees have had - Wight, Stynes, Bailey and now Robbie Flower :( Saw the last 5 years or so of his career on TV and he was always joy to watch. RIP Robbie

I hope this doesn't insensitive but if it is true, why wouldn't the family know that he's passed away? Seems odd that if he has died that the media would know about it before his family does?
Often in these cases it's not the family don't know but SOME of the family who don't know. So some do, but someone ie. a grand parent, a child etc is overseas or working and not contactable or simply some part of the family wish to tell another part of the family in person which slows down the process. The point is that the media have a responsibility to at least give the family some time.

I hope this doesn't insensitive but if it is true, why wouldn't the family know that he's passed away? Seems odd that if he has died that the media would know about it before his family does?

Mike Sheahan is very close friends with Robbie. Guest appearance on AW suddenly and unexpectedly cancelled along with rumours of a great Melbourne player from the 1970s and 1980s having passed...plus various people have posted it on Twitter (most notably Russell Robertson) although deleting it.

You never know. Plus it's 9.30 at night, they'll try to get onto them tonight and release something tomorrow I would imagine.

im shocked.

have played golf with him a number of times at the club where we are both members. he recently won a monthly medal, something extremely difficult. i was nervous as hell stepping onto the first tee with he and bernie quinlan.....but they were both nice as, and were more interested in me than talking about themselves. true gentleman. even when playing for $$$ he still respected the laws and spirit of the game.

although we werent mates (ie no exchange of numbers etc) as such, we played many rounds together and i am forever grateful for it. always said gday when we bumped into each other when not playing together.

ill never forget the time he offered me his spare beanie cause it was cold as .

im shocked.

have played golf with him a number of times at the club where we are both members. he recently won a monthly medal, something extremely difficult. i was nervous as hell stepping onto the first tee with he and bernie quinlan.....but they were both nice as, and were more interested in me than talking about themselves. true gentleman. even when playing for $$$ he still respected the laws and spirit of the game.

ill never forget the time he offered me his spare beanie cause it was cold as .

I've played with him as well at the same club with his bother Tom and Bernie Quinlan.

Couldn't meet a nicer bunch of blokes.

Very sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back