Neil Craig on News Sunday night 27/02/2011

Remove this Banner Ad

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I heard the last bits of Neil Craig interview on the news tonigh talking about the Freo trial game at Thebarton and he mentioned a player would become elite in teh competion. Was he talking about Rory Sloane or someone else

^ Yeah it was Sloaney. Craigy has now predicted Dangerfield, Otten and Sloane will be 'elite' midfielders. If this does eventuate and Smith comes on as expected our midfield may actually be pretty good in the coming years. Add Thompson (who has a few more years), Vince (to return to 2009 form and hopefully even better one day) and Douglas (who may have more improvement in him).

I still think we need to look for midfielders this next draft as well to have a very balanced list.

^ Yeah it was Sloaney. Craigy has now predicted Dangerfield, Otten and Sloane will be 'elite' midfielders. .

Is there any need for a coach to place that tag on his young players?

Also, I know he was talking about midfielders, but has he ever used that term "elite" in regards to Walker? I'll stand corrected, but I don't think he has.

The interesting thing about Dangerfield, Otten and Sloane is that they are all keen attendees of the Neil Craig school of footballing. Honest triers who don't answer back. In Neil we trust. The only difference between these guys and the Brent Reillys of the world is these guys have the ability to become elite. They'll still be Neil Craig prototypes though for as long as he's around.

Walker will leave the AFC before he becomes a Craig prototype.

Also, I know he was talking about midfielders, but has he ever used that term "elite" in regards to Walker? I'll stand corrected, but I don't think he has.

The interesting thing about Dangerfield, Otten and Sloane is that they are all keen attendees of the Neil Craig school of footballing. Honest triers who don't answer back. In Neil we trust. The only difference between these guys and the Brent Reillys of the world is these guys have the ability to become elite. They'll still be Neil Craig prototypes though for as long as he's around.

The big difference IMO between Sloane, Dangerfield and Otten when compared to TW comes down to one word ENDEAVOUR.

And how in hell do you know this????

For goodness sake move past the negativity - Sloane has an outstanding game which the coach acknowledges and you turn it into a negative.

Roll on Round 1.

The big difference IMO between Sloane, Dangerfield and Otten when compared to TW comes down to one word ENDEAVOUR.

Oh garbage. Taylor Walker doesn't have endeavour?

You can have endeavour without having Birdman-itis, which is what Dangerfield had at various times last year.

I could care less about a player "showing endeavour" in false, fabricated ways that fans think demonstrate "trying hard." Just because a player looks laconic doesnt mean he's lazy.

I know it's early days, but I think we have an early favourite for most ridiculous post of the year.

It's truly an art form to drag the done-to-death Taylor Walker debate into a nice, light thread about Craigy talking up the performance of one of our young champions.

Well done.

I've heard Sloane is extremely cheeky who is exactly the sort that would answer back. I recall hearing a story about how he answered back at Craig within his first couple of weeks of getting there and Craig wasn't happy about it at the time, gave Sloane an earful. I think you're just making things up, SP.

I don't know if Craig has ever used the term "elite" when referring to Walker, but he did say that Walker was the kind of player that a coach goes to sleep and dreams about :eek:

I've heard Sloane is extremely cheeky who is exactly the sort that would answer back. I recall hearing a story about how he answered back at Craig within his first couple of weeks of getting there and Craig wasn't happy about it at the time, gave Sloane an earful. I think you're just making things up, SP.

I'm a huge fan of all three - I'm merely saying they fit Craig's mould better than Walker does. Especially Patrick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a huge fan of all three - I'm merely saying they fit Craig's mould better than Walker does. Especially Patrick.

I would say Otten fits that mould over Dangerfield, even. This is the guy who, after getting injured, decided to try to learn new things and help the other players out. You get the feeling butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. 100% versatile, always does the team thing. Leadership potential. The perfect Neil Craig player :eek:

Dangerfield is ultra competitive, but showing up out of shape after his year 12, and then dumping Symes off the back of his car must have lost him some brownie points :D

Every player on our list should be keen attendees of the "Neil Craig school of footballing", he is the head coach of the football club and that is what he is there to do. If players aren't listening to him then we are in trouble and it's time for a change but I don't believe this. In fact I think the players are right with him at the moment and that is why they are improving so quickly.

As for Walker, I feel that I can already see an improvement in work rate and understanding of positioning in his first two games and I am really looking forward to his year. Also if he does go it won't be because of Neil Craig but because of Sheedy with a wheelbarrow of GWS cash unfortunately.

Every player on our list should be keen attendees of the "Neil Craig school of footballing", he is the head coach of the football club and that is what he is there to do.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. And one trial game at Thebarton Oval doesn't allay those worries.

As for Walker, I feel that I can already see an improvement in work rate and understanding of positioning in his first two games and I am really looking forward to his year. Also if he does go it won't be because of Neil Craig but because of Sheedy with a wheelbarrow of GWS cash unfortunately.

Just on Kevin Sheedy, I remember him saying once that he'd never be friends with James Hird. He said the way he went about things irritated him, or something along those lines. Ive heard Phil Jackson say similar things about Kobe Bryant. Darren Jarman was never spared a spray from Blighty about his fitness level. All of these stories have something in common - the player and coach enjoyed huge success with each other.

I think part of being a great coach is recognising that genuine genius is often flawed, and that sometimes you just have to run with it. I just wonder if Neil has it in him to do this.

Neil Craig school derives from the Jack Oatey school, with some Charlie Walsh school thrown in. Both highly successful regimes. Im quite happy for our players to school under those philosophies.

Seriously Pete, you ignored the earlier poster who pointed out that Neil has, in fact, made adulating comments regarding Taylor. Didnt fit the rant did it.

We get it, you dont like Craig. Put it in your sig and get on with your life mate.

I think part of being a great coach is recognising that genuine genius is often flawed, and that sometimes you just have to run with it. I just wonder if Neil has it in him to do this.

Would stiffy rate as a flawed genius? Probably and I think NC understands that he has his own preseason training method that works for him.

Seriously Pete, you ignored the earlier poster who pointed out that Neil has, in fact, made adulating comments regarding Taylor. Didnt fit the rant did it..

If you read my first post, I actually asked the question whether Neil had ever said Taylor was, or would be, elite. It was a question, that's all. Has he?

We get it, you dont like Craig. Put it in your sig and get on with your life mate.

Why? It brings you out of hibernation, and we all love that.

Quite a liberal use of superlatives there, fatoomsch.

Which one of these players is already a champion? I'm dying to know.

It's used in an affectionate, colloquial context - as in 'Sloaney, you champion!'.

Fair call though - I guess he's not a true champion yet, so next time Im at the game or watching on the box and the boy dives head first into a pack, emerges with the ball and fires out a 15 metre handball directly resulting in a KTip goal, I'll be more measured in my use of the word.

Perhaps something to the effect of 'go Sloaney, you rapidly improving, still to put some runs on the board but showing all the hallmarks of a champion!'.

Only took 3 posts for this thread to turn into another 'Neil Craig - messiah or pariah?' debate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back