• No

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 135 55.8%
  • Such is Life

Votes: 40 16.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Note: This is not a thread to air your views on left/right politics, vaccination mandates or conspiracies, this is a thread to discuss Djokovic and the Australian Open saga only. Humour is accepted and encouraged :D Abuse is not.
Thanks.

AEA78B7C-CABD-42A8-9D94-2ED15A7D2BAB.jpeg

Last edited:
I read the substantive part of the 268 page affidavit from Natalie Bannister (lawyer for Djokovic), which includes the ministers reasons for cancelling the visa again along with a bunch of other emails and attachments.

The sum of it is that the Minister’s reasons concede several points regarding the veracity of Djokovic’s claims about having had covid and being medically contraindicated to vaccination.

The tick a box that was wrong is regarded as not a good thing for Djokovic but does not overall change the ministers decision. It has been effectively dismissed by the minister in his reasoning.

None of that stuff matters.

What it seems to come down to is that what he says and what he’s been doing (that he’s not vaxxed and wants to have the choice, and that even when he’s covid positive he has failed to isolate properly) is not a good look, and as he’s a high profile international role model and we have enough problems with violent antivax protests already, and he MAY influence or become a talisman for that movement.

That’s regardless of whether his private opinions have changed, regardless of anything else that he’s done (like buying equipment for hospitals, or donating to the bushfire appeal). There’s nothing in the diplomacy passport that makes any difference. All of that stuff is immaterial to the decision.

May be a bad role model for antivaxxers. That’s the crux of it.
Bad role model in a highly vaxxed nation ? How so?

Too late to get vaxed as it takes a week to kick in. Besides that he needs 2 vaccinations, besides that he can't be vaccinated shortly after contracting covid.
He needs a full course of a recognised vaccine... technically J&J is a full course with one dose. He would have to fly to the States and back to get it done though, as it is recognised but not used in Australia. I wonder if there is a US jurisdiction equipped with vaccination facilities that doesn't require a flight to the contiguous mainland states 🤔 Is there anything closer than Hawaii? Also, what happens if he leaves and comes back, it'd be the same [currently cancelled] visa I think

That's because border force and immigration are incompetent and all for show.
I think it's probably more to do with Novax starting a massive shitstorm by claiming he had a medical exemption on Twitter.

If he'd shut his mouth we probably wouldn't be here.
Shame them anti-vaxxers like to talk so much.

Voracova was sent to the Parks Hotel, but you are right that that was only the result of the Feds having to mop up the mess they made with their 'Gotchya' moment on Novak
True, but not soon as she landed like our friend Djoko. She even played a tournament.

Very obviously some people are treated differently to others, but apparently that's not discrimination any more.

Bad role model in a highly vaxxed nation ? How so?
MAY be used as a potential talisman for the unvaxxed remainder, some of whom have been engaging in "civil unrest", and are currently filling the ICU wards of the hospitals, and who may be encouraged to either not get vaxxed, not get the booster, or not comply with isolation requirements, under the influence of Djokovic's public statements and example.

MAY be used as a potential talisman for the unvaxxed remainder, some of whom have been engaging in "civil unrest", and are currently filling the ICU wards of the hospitals, and who may be encouraged to either not get vaxxed, not get the booster, or not comply with isolation requirements, under the influence of Djokovic's public statements and example.
So we should rile them up even more and make them even angrier and noisier by deporting their poster boy? Or we calm their farm by letting Novak stay until he's out of the tournament. Pretty obvious which route is in the public interest if that's the case

True, but not soon as she landed like our friend Djoko. She even played a tournament.

Very obviously some people are treated differently to others, but apparently that's not discrimination any more.
It's not illegal to discriminate.

It's illegal to discriminate on certain grounds and in certain circumstances, so you can't ban old people from the pub, or refuse to hire someone because their skin is blue. Being a highly decorated sportsperson with an influential public profile is not a protected class, and in any case he has only had his visa cancelled under the same laws as everyone else is subject to. It's not like they made a special law just to keep him out.

So we should rile them up even more and make them even angrier and noisier by deporting their poster boy? Or we calm their farm by letting Novak stay until he's out of the tournament. Pretty obvious which route is in the public interest if that's the case
That would be Djokovic's argument, yes.

"If you deport me I'll make it even worse so you should let me stay" :thumbsupv1:

He needs a full course of a recognised vaccine... technically J&J is a full course with one dose. He would have to fly to the States and back to get it done though, as it is recognised but not used in Australia. I wonder if there is a US jurisdiction equipped with vaccination facilities that doesn't require a flight to the contiguous mainland states 🤔 Is there anything closer than Hawaii? Also, what happens if he leaves and comes back, it'd be the same [currently cancelled] visa I think
The point is moot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isolation requirements changed with capitalism not able to function without workers. The vast majority of not all that are double vaxxed will get the booster ( if the Feds can get their s**t together) the remainers who are unvaxxed and anti vaxxers have taken this position a long long time ago

Novax summoning all possible powers in his fight against the Fed Gov't.

From last night's storm in Canberra ...

210204ac-storm-3squarev2.jpg

Isolation requirements changed with capitalism not able to function without workers. The vast majority of not all that are double vaxxed will get the booster ( if the Feds can get their sh*t together) the remainers who are unvaxxed and anti vaxxers have taken this position a long long time ago
The question isn't about everyone in Australia participating in violent protests, refusing to get vaccinated and flouting isolation rules.

It's whether some people may be influenced to do any those things by his presence in the country.

Some of the newest player comments on this unfortunate distraction from Australia's Grand Slam:

OSAKA: "I think it's an unfortunate situation. Like, he's such a great player and it's kind of sad that some people might remember him in this way. But I also think it's not up to tennis players, it's up to the government how Australia is deciding to handle it."

TSITSIPAS: "It has received a lot of attention, as I said. Not enough tennis has been talked about in the last couple of weeks, which is a shame."

DI MINAUR: "When you're coming in, as well as every other tennis player, if you wanted to come into the country, you had to be double vaccinated. It was up to him, his choices, his judgment."

NADAL: 'Australian Open is much more important than any player. If he's playing finally, okay. If he's not playing, the Australian Open will be great … with or without him."

Maybe they should move the tournament to China next year.
Why, because a science denier doesn’t want to get vaccinated the player’s don’t give a s**t whether the joker plays or not ,or the fans unless you’re Serbian of course , this wont affect this tournament going ahead in the future .

Th
The question isn't about everyone in Australia participating in violent protests, refusing to get vaccinated and flouting isolation rules.

It's whether some people may be influenced to do any those things by his presence in the country.

Those people already exist.

Back