Official Pre-Season Training Times, Photos and Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Training 19/12/2011 Ate two snags, how many did you eat?

Can anyone tell me who the very skinny kid wearing long sleeves was? He was sprinting with two of our other players the whole time. These are the guys...

6536593855_2a24ba0cbc_b.jpg

(Bigger photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66639657@N05/6536593855/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Pretty sure that was Richo, a very skinny Richo I might add.

Great report OE and thanks to the others for contributing. It's great to come on line and read these training reports, better than anything you can get in the media. Cheers:thumbsu:

Thanks for the reports everyone. Much appreciated.

Anyone take note of how Brad Mangan is traveling?

Just want to pass on that when I went to the first open training session about a month ago I was surprised to note that Harps looked really quite big in the shoulders and solid through the hips. He is going to fill out to be quite an imposing athlete when all is said and done. Think Dustin Martin.

Pretty sure that was Richo, a very skinny Richo I might add.

Early nomination for in trouble for 2012.

It's a way off but the club would already be looking at how to tune up going into the supposed 2012 superdraft. There's not much fat (no pun intend) on the list which leaves Richo dangerously poised.

As a naturally skinny latecomer to AFL who's recently had surgery his path to seniors is going to be tough.

He has to makeup for a partially missed preseason, regain weight just to get back to his low status quo and then turn in some electric performances in the VFL when matchfit just to get noticed.

With recruiting netting McKenzie and Sierakowski who look to be vying for the same spot along with the 'what to do with' positional dilemma re MacMillan and Mullett if everyone starts hitting form, Richo's favoured HB spot looks unattainable.

He has some ability and comes across as a quality bloke but think he might be the Ben Ross of 2012.

It's a way off but the club would already be looking at how to tune up going into the supposed 2012 superdraft. There's not much fat (no pun intend) on the list which leaves Richo dangerously poised.

As a naturally skinny latecomer to AFL who's recently had surgery his path to seniors is going to be tough.

He has to makeup for a partially missed preseason, regain weight just to get back to his low status quo and then turn in some electric performances in the VFL when matchfit just to get noticed.

With recruiting netting McKenzie and Sierakowski who look to be vying for the same spot along with the 'what to do with' positional dilemma re MacMillan and Mullett if everyone starts hitting form, Richo's favoured HB spot looks unattainable.

He has some ability and comes across as a quality bloke but think he might be the Ben Ross of 2012.
If the team performs like we hope it will over the next few years, and the recruitment continues as it has for the past few years, this is a theme we'll see repeated. In fact, it's a good measure of the success of the football department (ladder position and premierships notwithstanding), if guys of decent quality don't just struggle to make the team, but struggle to stay on the list.

Richardson can play midfield.

He's also currently a better footballer than Mullet, Sirra and B-Mac.

Richardson can play midfield.

He's also currently a better footballer than Mullet, Sirra and B-Mac.

This is correct.

But the more important question is, "Will he be a better footballer than Mullet, Sirra and B-Mac?"

I think the answer to that question in Brad Scott's view will determine how many games he plays for the club.

He's a fair chance against the first two (I'm not nearly as bullish about Mullett as most on here), he's absolutely no chance to be against McKenzie imo, Brad's a couple classes above.

McKenzie will play more games in 12' than Richo, you can take that to the bank........

McKenzie will play more games in 12' than Richo, you can take that to the bank........
Ohh, I hope your right.

I have to say everything I've seen of him just oozes class. If he can find space like he does in the videos (we know he has elite agility) then it wont matter that he is underweight.

Cant wait to see him develop.

But the more important question is, "Will he be a better footballer than Mullet, Sirra and B-Mac?"

Yes, Brad is clearly focused on developing a team that he believes will play 'premiership football', and McKenzie, you'd think would be in the plan.

Whether Richo is up to that standard, I don't know. I confess that he came across as having a case of the Urq's about him in 2011. Seemed out of sync with the game.

Interesting comment re Mullet Pykie.

before you sack richo on the evidence that he hasn't bulked up enough, that wasn't him in that pic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is correct.

Thanks Pykie, but I don't really need you point this out.

Getting the ball ain't Richos problem. He needs to hurt.

Thought you guys would find this interesting

Higher ground

North Melbourne began its pre-season on October 25 at an altitude training camp in Utah, USA. The club placed a large emphasis on developing its young list's endurance running. On their return the Roos have aimed to consolidate those gains while working on their skill base. Fast end-to-end ball movement drills have been a feature of the training regime in the lead-up to the Christmas break.

Medical room
Seven players filled the rehabilitation group at the club's last open training session - Daniel Wells (blood clots), Sam Wright (infected foot), Majak Daw and Cam Richardson (both hip), and recent draftees Brad McKenzie (knee), Tom Curran (foot) and Malcolm Lynch (hip). Wright, Daw, McKenzie and Lynch are likely to resume full training shortly after Christmas while Wells, who can do all training sessions bar full contact work, remains on track for an early-season return. Richardson trained away from the main group and will continue to build towards full training ahead of the start of the season. Curran is still on crutches and looks the furthest away from a return.

Summer superstar
It's hard not to notice Nathan Grima at North's pre-season sessions. Now well and truly over the back injury that wrecked his 2011, Grima is consistently at the front of the running groups and his sure ball-handling and pin-point disposal are just as eye-catching. Daniel Wells, who has been restricted to light competitive work, has used the pre-season to build his running power. At the last session of the year he ran down the Kangaroos' middle-distance king Lachie Hansen in the last few strides of an 800m race involving the full list, underlining his gains. Of the younger brigade, Shaun Atley is wowing his teammates with his feats in the gym.

Draftee watch
Brad McKenzie and Tom Curran have settled into AFL life despite being in the club's rehabilitation group before Christmas. South Australian McKenzie is living with the same Oak Park family Ben Cunnington and Shaun Atley stayed with in their first years at the club. He slightly twisted his knee a few days out from the last session for the year and is only being rested as a precaution. He and Curran will now focus on developing their upper-body strength as they head towards their first season in the AFL.

Putting the feet up
Every player has been given a training program to follow over the Christmas period ahead of a return on January 4.

Membership
Legendary Australian rocker Tim Rogers supplies the voice-over for North Melbourne's 'Spirit one and all' membership advertising campaign. Traditionally one of the smaller membership bases, the Roos are at 16,335 members ahead of Christmas, almost 3000 more than at the same time last year and a record for the club. Significantly, North has already secured almost 1500 Tasmanian members, a good sign as they enter a three-year deal to play two-matches per season in Hobart.

NAB Cup schedule
Round one (Friday, February 17): v Hawthorn and Richmond, Etihad Stadium
Round two (Saturday, March 3: v Sydney Swans, Bruce Purser Oval
Round three (Sunday, March 11): v Western Bulldogs, North Ballarat

What they say
"Jack Ziebell seems to have gone to another level again and he's someone that seems to thrive on this sort of stuff. Cruize Garlett - I can't believe the transformation in his body from the end of last season to now. He's gone away and really looked after himself. He came to Utah earlier than we expected just to adapt. He's doing really well and his body shape has really changed. Levi (Greenwood) looks like he's also adapted a lot quicker." - Darren Crocker lists the stand-out performers at last month's pre-season camp in Utah.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/127611/default.aspx

I am looking forward to 2 players in particular that will help us reach the 8 for 2012 and that's Atley and Garlett.

Anyone know if there are any skills/main sessions on this week? Wouldn't mind heading down for a gander.

Cheers OE. Might have to contact the club.

After the time trials tomorrow I'm pretty sure there's a skills session at some point mid-afternoonish.

Cunners was on SEN this morning but I wouldn't rate it as any sort of a quality interview.

- The boys are doing more middle distance and repeat effort running.
- All players pre Utah times have been bettered post Utah.

That's about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back