Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just 63 games and 28 for us really shocked me. Think that speaks to the impact he had. Only here a couple of years and felt like part of the furniture.
Playing in the 2s for a season would have helped with that too

Remember when he got suspended for a month for whacking someone?

So sad to see this but Paddy's health is first priority. Hope he is OK in the longer term. There have been some horrible outcomes for people who have had multiple concussions and his concussion against Port Adelaide seemed so innocuous. He was great for us and loved watching him play. All the best for the future Paddy.
Does his 2024 salary count against our 2024 Total Salary number?

Was so good to see him get that second chance. He was able to show the marking and kicking ability that made him the number one pick. And he got to play with his brother.
Despite the sadness of how his career ended, he would be very happy with his time with you.

Great post well on his way of forging a 5yr career down back for us.

Not to be.

I loved watching him in 2021 in the 2s. You could see what running around and having a kick meant to him.

Aside from his skills he was and remains a class act and a trueBlood.

He probably would have had us top 4 this year including winning the Port game.

Sad to see his career end the way it did. I buried my head in the sand and said he’ll be ok

Hard to ignore this very real issue for contact sports.

Very glad to get the year we did from him. Seems a real
Decent fellow. Hope he doesn’t suffer any future ill
Effects.

Just sort of kept expecting he’d be back. I guess that is an example of how us as fans really know very little about how serious these concussions can be.

He seems so nice and genuine and I’ll always remember when he teared up when asked about how he felt playing with his brother. Bloods legend imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paddy was the number one draft pick, selected by St Kilda as the best tall forward in the 2014 draft, selected ahead of Christian Petracca. He played his first game for St Kilda at 18 years old, stepping in at an hour's notice to fill Nick Reiwoldt's boots, just two days before his 19th birthday. Six weeks later he was knocked out cold in a VFL match, the first of the eight concussions that would eventually destroy his football hopes and shatter his life. He was delisted by StKilda in 2019, still only 23 years old and with a year left to run on his contract. He was broken, his health in tatters, having spiralled downwards from number one draft pick, the very cusp of a dream football career, into a life of pain, mental health torture, depression, fear and uncertainty.

In early 2019, conversations around brain injury were still being spoken in whispers. It was another two years before an inquest into the depression and eventual suicide of Danny Frawley, shone a light on the connection between concusssion/brain trauma and CTE, forcing the AFL into belated action to address their duty of care, for fear of future litigation. Before 2021, few players, clubs or fans were talking openly about the long term risks to players of repeated brain trauma. With his physical and mental health spiralling ever downwards, the suffering that Paddy, and those who cared for him, must have endured is hard to imagine. Paddy was in a very dark place.

If anyone had promised Paddy he'd get his health back, get his life back and be given an opportunity to resurrect his career, as a Blood and as a defender, he'd have jumped for joy. If they'd promised him he'd not only play again at the highest level, but he would play shoulder to shoulder with his brother Tom for a whole glorious season, one that would culminate in a Grand Final together, he'd have cried for joy. The love and care the McCartin brothers have for each other was clear to see. Woe betide anyone who roughed up Tom while Paddy was by his side, or vice versa.

It's terribly disappointing for Paddy, for the Swans and for all Swans fans that he has had to retire. His time as a Blood has been too short. Still, I doubt Paddy found the decision hard to make. There was really no other choice. I hope greater public awareness of sports related brain trauma will mean he won't feel so alone. He'll know he has the full support of the Swans (and the AFL). He'll know every Swans fan will be wishing him well. Hopeully, the care taken by the Swans will see Paddy recover and be able to live a full life. I doubt he'll have many regrets. A premiership would have been nice but he's already defeated his demons and achieved more than anyone thought possible.

On behalf of all Swans fans, I wish Paddy the very best of luck for the future. We'll always remember him as a true Blood.

Paddy was the number one draft pick, selected by St Kilda as the best tall forward in the 2014 draft, selected ahead of Christian Petracca. He played his first game for St Kilda at 18 years old, stepping in at an hour's notice to fill Nick Reiwoldt's boots, just two days before his 19th birthday. Six weeks later he was knocked out cold in a VFL match, the first of the eight concussions that would eventually destroy his football hopes and shatter his life. He was delisted by StKilda in 2019, still only 23 years old and with a year left to run on his contract. He was broken, his health in tatters, having spiralled downwards from number one draft pick, the very cusp of a dream football career, into a life of pain, mental health torture, depression, fear and uncertainty.

In early 2019, conversations around brain injury were still being spoken in whispers. It was another two years before an inquest into the depression and eventual suicide of Danny Frawley, shone a light on the connection between concusssion/brain trauma and CTE, forcing the AFL into belated action to address their duty of care, for fear of future litigation. Before 2021, few players, clubs or fans were talking openly about the long term risks to players of repeated brain trauma. With his physical and mental health spiralling ever downwards, the suffering that Paddy, and those who cared for him, must have endured is hard to imagine. Paddy was in a very dark place.

If anyone had promised Paddy he'd get his health back, get his life back and be given an opportunity to resurrect his career, as a Blood and as a defender, he'd have jumped for joy. If they'd promised him he'd not only play again at the highest level, but he would play shoulder to shoulder with his brother Tom for a whole glorious season, one that would culminate in a Grand Final together, he'd have cried for joy. The love and care the McCartin brothers have for each other was clear to see. Woe betide anyone who roughed up Tom while Paddy was by his side, or vice versa.

It's terribly disappointing for Paddy, for the Swans and for all Swans fans that he has had to retire. His time as a Blood has been too short. Still, I doubt Paddy found the decision hard to make. There was really no other choice. I hope greater public awareness of sports related brain trauma will mean he won't feel so alone. He'll know he has the full support of the Swans (and the AFL). He'll know every Swans fan will be wishing him well. Hopeully, the care taken by the Swans will see Paddy recover and be able to live a full life. I doubt he'll have many regrets. A premiership would have been nice but he's already defeated his demons and achieved more than anyone thought possible.

On behalf of all Swans fans, I wish Paddy the very best of luck for the future. We'll always remember him as a true Blood.
Beautiful words Rubba. I think you've managed to encapsulate the feelings of every Swans and footy fans everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was glad, too, that during the match he flashed up on the screens and got a big cheer which he acknowledged with a shaka. Buddy deserved the lion's share of attention and at the same time it was good to see Paddy get some of the love he deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back