Discussion Pre-Season Match Chat; SC scores in stickied thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what others do here.

Since switching to defence 4 seasons ago, Sicily lowest average is 94. Hewett's highest season average in his 8 year career is 88, with a next best of 78. Sicily is priced low due to his ACL. Hewett is priced low because he averaged 73 last season. I get he has switched clubs and roles, but he's played mid before and I worry it will be another Zac Williams or countless others before him. At least Sicily has done it before and done so consistently. Hewett seems much more of a maybe.

If Hartigan is named round 1, Sicily is locked in for me, brain fades and all.

Exactly, last season the no.6 defender was Crisp at 104.9. Sicily is definitely capable of that and has done it before, at worst he probably averages 90-95 and he’s a luxury upgrade. I can see Hewitt improving his average but I don’t see him getting to 105, and if he drops to an 80 average which he may well do, then you’re forfeiting 25 points a week to other sides.

Obviously there’s the injury factor but I think if you pick Hewett you’re likely going to need to spend a trade on him anyway.

I don't see what others do here.

Since switching to defence 4 seasons ago, Sicily lowest average is 94. Hewett's highest season average in his 8 year career is 88, with a next best of 78. Sicily is priced low due to his ACL. Hewett is priced low because he averaged 73 last season. I get he has switched clubs and roles, but he's played mid before and I worry it will be another Zac Williams or countless others before him. At least Sicily has done it before and done so consistently. Hewett seems much more of a maybe.

If Hartigan is named round 1, Sicily is locked in for me, brain fades and all.

Sir please stop talking people out of picking Hewett

Hmm with the talk of Walsh walking around fine and an early return (maybe round two) i may have to chop down a 200k and grab one of the 500k options. Walsh out was the only reason i looked at Hewitt in the first place.

I’d prefer Sic but I’m tying to squeeze every dollar out of my team and I just can’t make 3 prem defenders and Sic work.
With 35 trades I’m viewing Hewett as a luxury stepping stone. I know he’s too expensive as a stepping stone but I’m hoping for a strong start and to jump off him quick. Happy to “waste” one trade on him if he gets solid points early.

If he gets off to a hot start how do you quantify then trading him? Makes no sense.

CBAs, TOG and kick-ins from this week.
Kick-ins (play on): Jake Lloyd 6 (6), Nick Blakey 3 (3).

Seagull GIF by CRDI. Ajuntament de Girona

If he gets off to a hot start how do you quantify then trading him? Makes no sense.
Yes this is the issue with every mid-pricer though, picking the right time to jump off. Easy in hindsight but in reality if Hewett's knocking out 90's and the odd 100 no one will trade him. He would need to spud a bit, and then he drops in price so you've gained nothing.

Yes this is the issue with every mid-pricer though, picking the right time to jump off. Easy in hindsight but in reality if Hewett's knocking out 90's and the odd 100 no one will trade him. He would need to spud a bit, and then he drops in price so you've gained nothing.

Yeah but most mid pricers aren’t 400k. Hewett is basically the price of a fallen defender premo. He isn’t making you much cash and if he is he’s likely averaging 100+

Tagging.
Walsh comes back and he would have too be an option.
Historically as a mid that has been what has dropped his average.

I said strong start not hot. If he’s scoring really well I’ll obviously keep him for as long as is viable. I’m just saying I’m going into it with my eyes open that he’s very likely a trade at some point probably without making the magic $100k. I expect his scores to regress a bit when Walsh comes back which sounds like round 3 at the earliest and then he’ll have to get up to speed.

Yeah but most mid pricers aren’t 400k. Hewett is basically the price of a fallen defender premo. He isn’t making you much cash and if he is he’s likely averaging 100+
Yeah I think Hewett is your D6 if you start him. I'm in the camp that 90-95 is fine at D6 as long as he is your D6, if another premo defender you start spuds you're in trouble.
Tagging.
Walsh comes back and he would have too be an option.
Historically as a mid that has been what has dropped his average.
I would need to research it, but I don't think that's true. Pretty sure he scores quite well tagging. I don't think he's been brought in to tag, but we'll see I guess.

I said strong start not hot. If he’s scoring really well I’ll obviously keep him for as long as is viable. I’m just saying I’m going into it with my eyes open that he’s very likely a trade at some point probably without making the magic $100k. I expect his scores to regress a bit when Walsh comes back which sounds like round 3 at the earliest and then he’ll have to get up to speed.

Same deal, a strong start indicates he's likely to be averaging 90-95+, which at that point in time there is zero chance you jump off him as he isn't hurting you. On the flip side, if you do trade him it's because he hasn't done enough and he hasn't made you cash and he was a nothing pick.

400k is too much to sit there and gamble a wasted trade on a maybe. Go cheaper for the same effect or spend 50k more and lock in Sicily for the entire year imo

If you believe he can be a D6 keeper than select him that's fine, I just see no reason whatsoever to jump on him hoping for a strong start and cash made because you either won't trade or you will because he's been average.

Yeah I think Hewett is your D6 if you start him. I'm in the camp that 90-95 is fine at D6 as long as he is your D6, if another premo defender you start spuds you're in trouble.

I would need to research it, but I don't think that's true. Pretty sure he scores quite well tagging. I don't think he's been brought in to tag, but we'll see I guess.
He hasn't tagged for the last 2-3 years.
His last high scoring year (2019) when he got a 88 average he got a decent amount of 100s. (6)
His averaged dropped down with some very low scores. 9 below 80.

Same deal, a strong start indicates he's likely to be averaging 90-95+, which at that point in time there is zero chance you jump off him as he isn't hurting you. On the flip side, if you do trade him it's because he hasn't done enough and he hasn't made you cash and he was a nothing pick.

400k is too much to sit there and gamble a wasted trade on a maybe. Go cheaper for the same effect or spend 50k more and lock in Sicily for the entire year imo

If you believe he can be a D6 keeper than select him that's fine, I just see no reason whatsoever to jump on him hoping for a strong start and cash made because you either won't trade or you will because he's been average.
I haven’t looked into what he needs to score etc I’ll be honest. I’ve acknowledged I don’t love it but at some point you have to look at the overall points scoring potential of your team. He should score fine. Is he my ideal D6 no far from it.
Who do you think is cheaper that will give me the same effect at D4?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t looked into what he needs to score etc I’ll be honest. I’ve acknowledged I don’t love it but at some point you have to look at the overall points scoring potential of your team. He should score fine. Is he my ideal D6 no far from it.
If he reverts to type from the last couple of years we are looking at good rookie scores.
70s average.
That is the risk.

I think Chapman from Freo is a great start. Locked into my team after Kiddy Coleman went and did a hammy. 125k cheaper and will make the cash you need, in no way a keeper but good JS and scoring potential.

Carlton didn't get Hewett to tag. They already had Curnow for that. Everything he's done in preseason, from training to matches, indicates he and the team are attacking. I see him averaging 100+ while Walsh is out and 90-95 when Walsh is full speed. Year average of 92-97. Great value at 400k when so few rookies are available there.

I think Chapman from Freo is a great start. Locked into my team after Kiddy Coleman went and did a hammy. 125k cheaper and will make the cash you need, in no way a keeper but good JS and scoring potential.
Chapman is the only other I’ve considered. I have a few $200k players already though. They’re not renowned for working out.

Chapman is the only other I’ve considered. I have a few $200k players already though. They’re not renowned for working out.
It is tough when you are left with not quite enough for a real premo and unsure on who is going to break out.
Anyone in your price range is risky I reckon. That is why they are cheap.
I would say taking Chapman and him failing would be better than taking a 400k type and they fail.
Back your gut. We have pretty much all the info we are going to get now.
If you think Hewett is going Premo then he is a must have at his price.
I remember last year trying to convince peeps preseason to take Aliir over Young.
Predicting the future is hard.

Don’t see the appeal with Chapman. Only played 6 games with two scores over 80 how can you be confident that he will average 80+ in a backline that already has Ryan, Young etc.

86 on the weekend just gone and 80+ in the first round of unofficial matches. Freo love him, and the only reason he didn't play all year last year was he got injured and missed the rest of the season.

I reckon he can seriously punch into the 75-85 bracket which is enough to get to 400k with great JS.

We all would have had Coleman there, stupid hamstring.

For me it's Short/Davies vs Rowell/Hewett and it's no contest there.

Sorry for my bias but the winner for mine of the weekend was Nick Martin. 16 touches and 50sc from 43% game time. That's 100 sc from a full game....for a 100k player. Jelly would have needed to get 500 points from his 500k price tag to get equal bang for your buck if you get my logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back