Autopsy Rd 11, 2022 - Loss vs. Saints - Jack's 250th

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll say this for Turner, his ineptness and faux hard-man schtick is the only thing that actually gets an emotion out of me when I watch us lately.

That, and a glimmer of hope watching JHF.

But that is the issue. Regardless of effort and intent, if the game style and set up is majorly flawed, then that effort amounts to nothing.

You can see players slowly drop off as they realise that no matter what effort they present, it will break down because we are not being coached to play a sustainable brand. In fact it’s hard to see any type of brand.

This sits with Noble, you can have as many internal metrics and small gains as you want, but unless you can get the right structures and plan in place all it amounts to is trying to put your fingers in the dam wall and when a ******* truck has driven through it and left a gaping hole.

I can imagine how unenjoyable football is for the players, because as a supporter it’s horrible to watch.

I’m not sure you can call eating a plate of s**t sandwiches nourishment?

You could be right, you could be wrong R. However, like the rest of us, you’re just guessing. We can only hope things start to turn around soon or else there will have to be another clear out and it’s back to square one. I, for one, am not looking forward to that scenario. Lack of confidence is cruelling our skills. This makes the team look look like a real rabble. I really long to see The two Bens back in along with Hall and Comben. Only then will we be able to make a proper assessment - in my view. Of course, this might never happen…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've said this around here a number of times before but I really don't think pace is the issue.

The ball moves quicker than players do. If a team executes their skills cleanly and moves the ball quickly, they look fast even if the players aren't. Things like being one-touch below your knees, making the correct decision quickly, not fumbling and just hitting targets by hand and foot take you a long long way.

I personally think skills and fitness are the two biggest issues, not the players natural athleticism necessarily.
While I do agree with that, still think we are 2-3 players with breakneck speed short

I've said this around here a number of times before but I really don't think pace is the issue.

The ball moves quicker than players do. If a team executes their skills cleanly and moves the ball quickly, they look fast even if the players aren't. Things like being one-touch below your knees, making the correct decision quickly, not fumbling and just hitting targets by hand and foot take you a long long way.

I personally think skills and fitness are the two biggest issues, not the players natural athleticism necessarily.

This. This. And this again. Followed by this.

Pace is important when defending, but as you pointed out, not essential.

I had to oil a squeaky door half way thru the third quarter. That was exciting
Do you use WD40 or do you go for a light oil such as sewing machine oil? I'd rather know about that then read on in this thread...

...but you know what. I'll punish myself.

Last edited:
You could be right, you could be wrong R. However, like the rest of us, you’re just guessing. We can only hope things start to turn around soon or else there will have to be another clear out and it’s back to square one. I, for one, am not looking forward to that scenario. Lack of confidence is cruelling our skills. This makes the team look look like a real rabble. I really long to see The two Bens back in along with Hall and Comben. Only then will we be able to make a proper assessment - in my view. Of course, this might never happen…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
What am I guessing at?

Just have a look on the field, there is your answer.

I’m not proclaiming to know anything special, it’s plain for everyone to see.

I can't get mad or sad or anything, just blank. Finding it impossible to tell how good/bad it is. One of the major problems is inability to assess how much the coaches are using these games for learing lessons vs winning. Press interviews touching on this i think can be completely disregarded. If we have no changes over another 24 months, so a fairly stable best 22 players gaining experience playing together (i.e no coach or gameplan "tweaks"), I have almost no clue where we'd find ourselves. The value of experience is such an enigma, even more so in group activities. My one genie in a bottle type wish would be that the club could somehow max out the itterations that the guys likely to be there in 2yrs can perform together. If there was some startup spruiking an afl simulator so our players could speed up their reps together i'd chip in to help get us the prototypes. They need as many chances to try and fail and learn and then succeed as the club can possibly arrange, out of the public eye is even better early days.

Someone posted a while back along the lines of chuck all the kids together in the 2's to get their reps up together. Not crazy. There are no simulators. The afl is a weird mix of perform/develope particularly for bottom teams. The learning is soo slow when we're mixing players over afl/vfl, and it hurts to see young guys in the 1'sts losing momentum due to senior * ups. There's no way of knowing, even for the clubs, if the mix is right i just hope they're giving it it's due regard. The coach himself mentioned the value to X player to know what Y will do almost instinctively in order to have a faster and more accurate reaction than the oppo, how is he gonna get our list there as fast as possible and how much will he compromise performance right now to do it. And then who's tracking that and..... blah blah blah. another thumping today, and the 2nds fell apart in the last.

Probably a big straw-clutch, but the re-build was set as midfield-first operation, and in those areas we did better statistically than them today.

So we got the ball from stoppages, then messed things up. Things would have been different if there had been less error in our chains - and players had been accurate in front of goal.

I agree with everyone who was saying get Larkey on the ball or in defence as well. Why was a largely disposal-free tall wasted when we were getting butchered?

Was trying to find some positive out of today and yes this was it - we seemed to win an ok amount of stoppages 👍

But the movement out of defence, and the transition into forward line ( and keeping it there) was diabolical.

I know we lost by 50 plus points but the highlight of my day was seeing our great chairwoman Sonja and the great man himself Ben Amarfio immerse themselves with the members and chewing the fat by sitting with the cheersquad.

Two things.
1) Our cheersquad sucks and having to book a seat right next to them to watch the replacement games is shithouse
2) How delusional to think this gesture means or solves anything. Like why? Wtf does it represent. Is it some sort of we are with you gesture, or we understand your pain message? Just ******* lay off the semantics and get back to work by fixing this club. It literally meant nothing. So why do it?
Our gratitude comes from having a football club who week in week out gives the best account of themselves not continually gets pummeled by 8 plus goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greenwood - 7 possessions.

Played 76 mins out of 120 with 7 cba's.

Greenwoods are ideal for boiling, mashing, roasting and frying, they are a very versatile variety with a delicious slightly-sweet flavour. Their even, oval shape and shallow eyes allow for easy preparation.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like I said all the coaches available we choose this dud .

Curtis T - too slow and has put on no size since he joined the club.
Bailey S - not strong enough in 1 on 1 contests.
Kyron - no footy IQ. Makes too many mistakes every week.
Turner = plodder. Offers very little but is in the leadership group.
L. Young - won't be more than a depth player.

We are going into a rebuild with young players (named above and there are more), who are not good enough.

Last time we did this we invested 5 plus years into youngsters- Atley Jmac Dumont etc. Before realising they are not good enough and delisting them.

Will this be a repeat?

Long time lurker first time poster..

I watched from level 3 today and the only positive I could think of was when the game ended. It is getting more difficult to watch every week and any hope you get is out the door come half-time if not earlier.

Effort was there in the first quarter, after that players seemed to be plodding around not knowing where to run, devoid of confidence and looking completely lost.

What are the coaching panel trying to implement? End of last year we looked to take the game on with run and dare and now we have resorted to slow chipping and marking off half back and bombing it long up the line.

All our promising youngsters seem to be regressing, lost in this absolute mess of a game plan.
The lack of pressure we applied on Stkilda is a real concern. How many times did Hill/Sinclair etc run from end to end without being touched.

After a week we were completely rubbished in the media I expected a much better showing from the players. We didn't get it and that leaves me doubting their want to play for Noble.

I watched from level 3 today and the only positive I could think of was when the game ended. It is getting more difficult to watch every week and any hope you get is out the door come half-time if not earlier.

Effort was there in the first quarter, after that players seemed to be plodding around not knowing where to run, devoid of confidence and looking completely lost.

What are the coaching panel trying to implement? End of last year we looked to take the game on with run and dare and now we have resorted to slow chipping and marking off half back and bombing it long up the line.

All our promising youngsters seem to be regressing, lost in this absolute mess of a game plan.
The lack of pressure we applied on Stkilda is a real concern. How many times did Hill/Sinclair etc run from end to end without being touched.

After a week we were completely rubbished in the media I expected a much better showing from the players. We didn't get it and that leaves me doubting their want to play for Noble.
Everyone can see it, but it seems like the club is too scared to address the elephant in the room……… can Noble actually coach?

I can handle the team losing if they are playing something that resembles AFL footy, but getting smashed while playing garbage that actually plays into the hands of an opposition is not my idea of rebuilding.

Welcome.

I was on level 1 and I honestly don’t see lack of effort or commitment or want as the issue.

Time for Perez to have a spell.

9 possessions while playing on a wing, while your opponent runs wild, is just not good enough, regardless of how young or inexperienced he is.

Should be playing HBF.

It’s nonsense playing him on a wing and Bailey back.

We’d conceded the game before the siren imo.

This opposition members bay thing at away games is pretty good.

We got to see Goldy’s mark and goal and his banana for goal up close also.

Feels like it is going to erupt when we actually play well one day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seeing lots of pointing the finger at Noble...

The team is so hamstrung by the lack of mobile tall targets. It is why they tried the ruck experiment in round 1 so we could have a 'get out of jail' exit to the wing. Problem was that those players aren't ready nor can they consistently present a contest. Another obvious problem is that they are rucks not Petries/Waites.

When we had Waite, Petrie Brown and co. we didn't have any forwards good enough to replace them. A big WTF moment from the list management of old, and the one that left.

We also didn't prioritise the fitness conditioning of the types that were good players (Black) and then dicked around with drafting half backs with no good skills and discards with no unique talent. Brilliant.

We had shot ourselves in the foot before Noble even walked in and no wonder we can't score!

Where do we get our goals from? Larkey is too slow to get separation and relies on defenders falling asleep, Zurhaar gets separation but his set shot is either brilliant or horrible. JZ is past his prime and can't kick 4 goals a game for us anymore.

So, I ask again, where do we get our goals from knowing all those deficiencies?

Who is our threatening target?

The team needs someone they can look up and know 'yep I'm gonna kick it to this bloke because he has super glue hands'. Our rucks can't do it for us all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back