Autopsy Rd 5 vs Hawthorn: following this club is astonishingly exhausting

Remove this Banner Ad

No he isn’t
Back to your own board, Twat.

If Tarrant got half the arse rimming from the umpires that Rance does he would be in conversation for best defender of the last 3 decades.

Rance is one of the most over rated, protected species in the comp.

What a win, I was worried in the third and much of the last but we did well to steady and finish them in the last quarter, also that first half was as good as any we’ve played for a long time. Tarrant was amazing and again proved why he’s the best key defender in the game, Brown just keeps dominating and is a joy to watch. Goldstein was great, his ruck work was back to its best today, Cunnington as well was fantastic. Zurhaar, Jed and Turner all were impressive as was Waite and Thompson again. Maj keeps getting better down back and when Ziebell was down forward he was dominant, needs to play there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming the piss up celebrating higgos little one is off

It's games like this that really expose where we are at. And, the positive is, we are better than expected. Much better.

The confidence, running, tackling, defending, attacking all that jazz, seems to be working better than ever.

I always thought we were unable to balance our offensive and defensive structures and was always on the fence with our development.

Our 2014-15 seasons were great, but, we were still one dimensional. Go watch the replays in the losses we suffered in those seasons and you'll see what I mean. Then watch the wins. It's still the 2012-13 North, just a less vulnerable one. We lost leads compulsively.

For obvious reasons, Brad was unable to play his players in a game style that meant we had to run both ways consistently and pressure consistently.

I look at the side today and smile. It seems we have finally cracked it. We just look like a side that can actually compete consistently.

If the side from three or four years ago played today, we would've lost. In fact, throw the boys that have departed back in there and we go down the path of looking for excuses. Previously, if some players weren't performing, we dropped our heads. We didn't do that s**t today. Fought all the way to the end. We weren't down 5 goals or playing terribly, we were playing footy.

That wasn't a win because our senior players were the reasons, that was a win because the whole team did not disintegrate. Yeah they did come at us and got within 4 goals, but did we completely lose it? Absolutely not. It's been a long time since we have done that convincingly.

Think of it like this, forget 2010-2016. This is a proper build towards a premiership. The side that went out today won with two down on the interchange bench. For a younger and less experienced side to do that, it takes remarkable efforts. It takes greatness.

This isn't going to be the same bland side that got us two prelims and left us wanting, it's going to be the step further.

And with more depth in the VFL pushing for a spot, things might be looking very good in the next couple of years. Again, I'm optimistic but still doubtful if we can pull it off. As always.

Watched a completely different side today. Unusual but astonishingly good win.

We are heading in the right direction. I'm happy.

Better team won. Well done. We gave it everything in the third and managed to arrest the onslaught which was encouraging but North's defensive lockdown was very effective in the 4th.

ps Ben Brown is a gun. Potential top 10 in the league player. Youth looks promising also. Seems to be a bit of sunshine on the horizon down at Arden St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back