Autopsy Rd 9 Review - Never Go Full Dockery

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we might be a bottom 8 team who occasionally play like a top 8 team.

If we don't make finals JL needs to go as this list is capable of better footy.

Inside fifty was headless chooks with Benny hill music playing all night , dumb decision after dumb decision by hand and foot.

We haven't beaten a top 8 team unfortunately

Forget the result. You guys were a bit inaccurate tonight, that's not going to be the theme every week. You were better than the scoreboard showed tonight.

Sorry to hear about Cam McCarthy, it was a difficult night for your club.

We had to be at our best to win tonight. On a different day, it could've been different result.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

The most infuriating game I have ever sat through live. I thought in general play we matched them. It was just a conversion issue. Soul destroying stuff.

Say all you want about our method going forward and delivery, but we took 12 marks inside 50 and scored 1 goal from them.

We had 26 shots on goal and kicked 4 goals. There were 7 shots which didn't even score.

No.
The forward line is amongst the least experienced. No small forward.
Fyfe, Walters and Tabs the only over 30s.

Need a goal kicking mid, a defender and a small forward.

age profile freo vs syd.jpg

8 players under 50 games and only Fyfe being over 200 games.

Long way to go yet.

Our flaws haven't been fixed. We're not good enough and being this deep into a rebuild, it's not acceptable.

Amiss has honestly been seriously dissapointing this season.

Midfielders have zero confidence forward of center and even less confidence having a shot on goal

We really are in no-mans land just treading water being a team that will regularly take care of the bottom 8 sides by a few goals each game but linger in the 8th-12th bracket.

To be fair ... We took it to a VERY good team everywhere but the scoreboard. Have some major issues to work through - but at least there's a pretty clear place to start?
Can't wait to see us switch 3 defenders over to try counter our scoring issues

Emmett is a gem, but boy does he lack polish. Would send him back to the 2s and force him to prove he can tidy it up before looking at him again. Freddy goes missing too much, need to look at him on a wing. Switta just doesn't kick goals, it's painful. Amiss not himself this year, not sure what it is but he's looking s**t ... Needs to find a way to get his touch back (will be shot for the idea, but maybe a few weeks at Peel to get some confidence could help).

Treacy really the only forward who's consistently at the level this year.

Honestly, whatever. Same issues just dialled up to 50.

There are people in the forwardline who arent AFL players, pure and simple but this was just a comical version of the same issues.

Not much more to take out of it IMO

Agree - we can’t carry those players against the best teams.

A big should have game. Strangest beating ever. The score line says almost fifty points. Yet we should have kicked at least six more. Conservatively.

Even then, it is the same old issue just amplified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most infuriating game I have ever sat through live. I thought in general play we matched them. It was just a conversion issue. Soul destroying stuff.

Say all you want about our method going forward and delivery, but we took 12 marks inside 50 and scored 1 goal from them.

We had 26 shots on goal and kicked 4 goals. There were 7 shots which didn't even score.
Yep, the method wasnt an issue, the application wasnt an issue, the execution wasnt even an issue for 90% of the field but when they are clearly already not 100%, missing the opportunities they missed just kills you. I dont think this is the game for people to hand-wring over. We know there isnt enough forward talent but it was on full show today

Not our night, thought we matched it with them for awhile if you take out the scoreboard.

Taking out Clark from HB was a smart move by Swans. Horse backs his mids to go mono e mono against any other team but their pressure surprised me.

This morning's news has dampened things for me and I'm sure others.

On to next week.

Not making any excuses, and I'm not a clinician but I do work in the space of grief/trauma - the timing of Cam's passing wouldn't have boded well for the match.

There's layers of processing and the first 24-48 hours are some of the most difficult - denial, dissociative, doubt and self-blame. The brain just floods with every thought, possibly and emotion and it just becomes too much.

Sounds dreadful but if he passed at the start of the week, the players would still be grieving but likely in a more stable cognitive space to focus and adjust to the task at hand - that's why you sometimes see incredible victories from grieving teams across different sports, but it's often some time after the passing.

On top of that, the 5 day break and lack of regular preparation wouldn't have helped - all the normal routines in place today would've been thrown completely out of whack.

19 scoring shots on goal and competitive play against the best team in the AFL, there's issues to fix in the forward line but we are still heading in the right direction.

Have a stiff drink, go to bed and look after yourselves and loved ones this weekend.

There was a lot wrong with that game, and yet we still managed three more shots at goal. I really don’t think this game says all that much about us, and definitely not season defining as some are making it out to be.

The no excuses people are harsh. It was a 5 day break and they found out about McCarthy less than 24 hours before hand. As much as you want to play for him and get the win for him you’ve got half a team playing through grief and it clearly showed on guys like Fyfe.

We had 26 shots on goal and Sydney had 24. We missed sitters. Their transition was much better and gave them the edge but the margin is not reflective of the performance

Amiss had gone missing.

Fyfe was a liability. He's not going to be in our first premiership side.

Need to see if Raz is going to be a player.

Emmett's pressure is good but woeful skills.

Keep Simpson in. Let's get games into these players..

I’ve been to work and was told when I walked in that one of my colleagues had died. That was the hardest ******* shift of my life and it’s not like we were all that close. Those boys out there tonight were hurting, you could clearly see that.

Serong was fantastic and I liked Walker's game.
Forwardline was laughable but let's be real even if we kicked with 50% accuracy that was still a 4-5 goal loss. Sydney are top for a reason with the way they punished our mistakes. We made some of those last week but Richmond were too s**t to do anything about it.
Don't wanna be too harsh given today's events but this team will put me on blood pressure meds at this rate.

I'm travelling so I won't be able to catch games live for the next few weeks. After tonight, maybe that's for the better.

No one wants to just kick it at the sticks. Even 20m out!
Interesting fact. Behind post to behind post is 19.2M wide. Can you believe players kick it OOTF and miss shots on goal (goal is 6.4m wide) directly in front?

I think the frustrating part is that many of us that played community footy would slot more than we did tonight

Terrible game. Shocking and sad day for the players and the club as a whole. Hard game to really review.

It's unfortunate that in the 1st Half, we were just a tiny bit off with our overuse of the ball and how we finished costing us. Just getting half of that polished would have changed the trajectory of the game.

Not our night, thought we matched it with them for awhile if you take out the scoreboard.

Taking out Clark from HB was a smart move by Swans. Horse backs his mids to go mono e mono against any other team but their pressure surprised me.

This morning's news has dampened things for me and I'm sure others.

On to next week.
think we were never expected to win this one
was one of the first games I have missed for Freo, so was sad not to be there to support them

a bit concerned about what happens now with some kind of funeral/memorial for Cam, as am sure many of our players would want to attend?

Might have to consider resting some players against St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back