RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
I think 2022 will be the end of one era at Tigerland and the start of another.

Based on the current list, who do you predict is in Richmond's best 22 in 2022?

Do you think they will still be a top 4 side?

My guess is:
B Grimes, Bolta, Short
HB Vlastuin, Broad (Astbury?), Naish
C Caddy, Prestia, Pickett
HF Stack, Chol, Lambert
F Castagna, Lynch, Bolton
Foll Soldo, Martin, Graham
IC Ross, Rioli, Nankervis, Baker

Retired: Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Edwards, Houli
Moved on/retired: Broad/Astbury

My guess is:
B Grimes, Bolta, Short
HF Stack, Chol, Lambert

Not sure why but gut feel is the following will be off the list: Balta (unfortunately), Broad, Caddy, Short, Chol.
Naish doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, put him foll.
Add a second Rioli to the midfield! George still fwd.
Soldo and/or Nank will be out of the side for CCJ.
I agree Astbury, Rance, Houli, Edwards will be retired.
Riewoldt will still be HF, Cotchin will be HB.

Still Top 4.

Not sure why but gut feel is the following will be off the list: Balta (unfortunately), Broad, Caddy, Short, Chol.
Naish doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, put him foll.
Add a second Rioli to the midfield! George still fwd.
Soldo and/or Nank will be out of the side for CCJ.
I agree Astbury, Rance, Houli, Edwards will be retired.
Riewoldt will still be HF, Cotchin will be HB.

Still Top 4.
I feel like Balta is not a natural footballer, but that he could develop and become a good player far more at Richmond than at other clubs, in the same was as a Broad or Astbury would not have developed into as good players without the Richmond system and players like Rance and Grimes around them. I'd like to keep Balta and build him up as a backman in the Tiges' system, as I don't think we'd get much value for him in trade. Similarly, I reckon Chol can learn a lot from Jack and Lynchy and develop, but might not bring much if put on the market. Conversely, I reckon CCJ is a natural footballer, and I reckon we could get some value for him in a trade, as he would do very well wherever he went. You're probably right about Jack as he just loves his footy, but I have a feeling Cotch won't linger on.

I
Is this a troll thread or I’m not reading posts right?

Also if RCD isn’t getting a game by 2022 then I know nothing about football.
Agree TI, and I don’t think you want to be trading CCJ. Would be interested in people’s takes on how we squeeze him into the team?
Soldo and Nank aren’t getting dropped, so is it the injury wait? Maybe as a pure forward if Lynch or Jack are sore?

I must be in the minority after reading this thread. I think Balta is a great prospect. He is a supreme athlete who just needs superior football intelligence, which will no doubt come with experience. He has arguably the highest ceiling of all our kids. The beauty of our list is that he probably has another year or two before he needs to get a wriggle on with his development. I anticipate he will break out in the VFL next year then will become a best 22 regular in 2021.

At the end of the day, he’s a 19 year old KPP. Some of the criticism of him on here is incredibly harsh. I actually think he’s ahead of the eight ball in terms of his development. Looked more than capable at the highest level throughout the year then fatigued as the season went on.

I agree RCD is more than likely. It's probably unlikely Short and Baker will both remain in team longterm. We'll have plenty of insiders with Graham, RCD and Ross but will need to develop an attacking half-back as Houli retires. Ross is a beautiful long kick so he might be able to rotate through there. With Balta, Chol, Nank, Soldo and CCJ all aged 25 and we should look at trading one of them.

I must be in the minority after reading this thread. I think Balta is a great prospect.
I agree Balta is a great prospect - I think the best way to develop his football intelligence is in the backline. With out system I reckon Balta will develop more with the Tiges than if he was with another team, to a much greater extent than CCJ, which is why I reckon CCJ is the best trade bait, or else maybe Chol, who I'm sure would also attract a few suitors.

Is this a troll thread or I’m not reading posts right?

Also if RCD isn’t getting a game by 2022 then I know nothing about football.
Its funny in a way. In everything we do most people just cant see past those who have won a flag.

If we dont find players and also grow players then it goes like this. this is currently the best 22 give or take one or two.in 2022 they all turn the following ages.

Grimes 31 - Astbury 31yo - Vlastuin 28yo

Houli 33yo - Rance 33yo - Broad 28yo

Pickett 30yo - Martin 31yo - Edwards 34yo

Rioli 25yo - Riewoldt 34yo - Lambert 31yo

Castagna 26yo - Lynch 30yo - Balta 23yo

Nankervis 28yo - Cotchin 32yo - Prestia 30yo

Caddy 30yo - Graham 24yo -Bolton 24yo - Short 26yo - Soldo 26yo - Baker 24yo Stack 22 yo

It sort of makes you sit up and realise the amount of work, evolving and development that needs to be done.

Unlike the Cats & Pies who are heavily midfield based. all our player salaries are rightfully invested in the spine, its the best in the AFL.

Rance, Grimes/Astbury, Martin/Cotchin/Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch.

Surround that talented spine with high footy IQ guys like Edwards, Houli, Vlastuin, Lambert and Caddy, add the X factor of Rioli, Stack, Bolton and Pickett, plus work-horses like Nank, Soldo, Graham, Castagna and Broad how are we not going b2b?

B-22

Grimes - Rance - Broad
Houli - Astbury - Vlastuin
Caddy - Prestia - Pickett
Lambert - Riewoldt - Edwards
Rioli - Lynch - Castagna
Nank - Cotchin - Martin
Graham - Bolton - Stack - Soldo

In: Rance, Stack, Graham
Out: Short, Baker, Ellis

Unlike the Cats & Pies who are heavily midfield based. all our player salaries are rightfully invested in the spine, its the best in the AFL.

Rance, Grimes/Astbury, Martin/Cotchin/Prestia, Riewoldt, Lynch.

Surround that talented spine with high footy IQ guys like Edwards, Houli, Vlastuin, Lambert and Caddy, add the X factor of Rioli, Stack, Bolton and Pickett, plus work-horses like Nank, Soldo, Graham, Castagna and Broad how are we not going b2b?

B-22

Grimes - Rance - Broad
Caddy - Prestia - Pickett
Lambert - Riewoldt - Edwards
Rioli - Lynch - Castagna
Nank - Cotchin - Martin

In: Rance, Stack, Graham
Out: Short, Baker, Ellis
Nice! I would make only one tiny adjustment to utilise Lambert's gut running...

Grimes - Rance - Broad
Caddy - Prestia - Lambert
Pickett- Riewoldt - Edwards
Rioli - Lynch - Castagna
Nank - Cotchin - Martin

My guess is:
B Grimes, Bolta, Short
HF Stack, Chol, Lambert

Hopefully we can get another flag out of 2020 - 2021 because as harsh as it sounds, you'd want club champions retiring by end of 2021 to get a good start on the next 6-8 year plan from 2022. This is the best chance of another era late 20's.
We can try and do a Hawthorn/Geelong and stay in the hunt after our era, but personally I'd rather strip it back as soon as possible. It's a fine line though.
If their bodies are right, some potential retirees may get an extra year to help develop the next generation.

This is a stab in the dark 2022 because you don't know who's going to emerge or decline between now and then and what gems we'll get in the draft.

Castagna Lynch Balta
Rioli ? Martin
Pickett Graham (c) Bolton
Short ? Baker
Grimes ? Vlaustin

Nankervis RCD Ross

Soldo Broad Lambert Stack ? ? ?

Creating a side based on those who are under 24 we get the following:

B: Short(23) Miller(20) Garthwaite(21)

HB: Menadue(23) Balta(19) Baker(21)

C: Naish(20) Ross(19) Stack(19)

HF: Rioli(22) Chol(22) Castagna(23)

F: Bolton(20) CCJ(20) Higgins(20)

R: Soldo(23) RCD(19) Graham(21)

INT: Markov(23) Butler(23) Moore(23) DES(21) English(19) Turner(18)

Add to that group picks 19 38 39 & 41, plus a couple of rookies and we're in a pretty good position to build for sustained success, even with the likelihood that Butler Menadue & Moore are moved on this year.

Its funny in a way. In everything we do most people just cant see past those who have won a flag.

If we dont find players and also grow players then it goes like this. this is currently the best 22 give or take one or two.in 2022 they all turn the following ages.

Grimes 31 - Astbury 31yo - Vlastuin 28yo

Houli 33yo - Rance 33yo - Broad 28yo

Pickett 30yo - Martin 31yo - Edwards 34yo

Rioli 25yo - Riewoldt 34yo - Lambert 31yo

Castagna 26yo - Lynch 30yo - Balta 23yo

Nankervis 28yo - Cotchin 32yo - Prestia 30yo

Caddy 30yo - Graham 24yo -Bolton 24yo - Short 26yo - Soldo 26yo - Baker 24yo Stack 22 yo

It sort of makes you sit up and realise the amount of work, evolving and development that needs to be done.

Houli -
Edwards -
Riewoldt -
Rance -
Cotchin -

everyone is under 28year/7month outside of those 5. currently

I reckon Martin, Lambert, Pickett, Grimes etc. might have a bit of footy left in them? the list looks quite healthy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure we will draft and trade a lot of players by 2022

In football terms its a life time away. Richmond have some ageing player but by and large the list looks pretty well spread talent/age wise.

Another few Lynch or Prestia types via free agency or trades would be welcome too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back