Recommitted Rory Lobb [trade is off, staying at Fremantle]

Remove this Banner Ad

People in this thread are seeing his big salary and confusing it with a salary dump because they have been all the rage lately

This is not a salary dump. This is a poaching of a player on high salary who would be moving for an equally high salary, it will cost the team poaching him.

He is not going to be worth what we are going to ask which is where this will fall down unless a team rates him higher than we do.

Which is why he wont get traded because i cant see any team willing to pay that price unless they are stupid.

Which is why he wont get traded because i cant see any team willing to pay that price unless they are stupid.
You wouldn't think so, but there is enough noise to make me think Lobb's management has convinced someone they want to get bent over for a 28 yo, occasionally brilliant but more often mediocre ruck/fwd. It never gets to the point where a player has serious interest from clubs without the club having a good understanding of trade price and some willingness to hand it over.

Severely underrated here, even by our own supporters. Took Sydney’s defense apart earlier in the year. He nearly did his acl in the preseason, harsh to judge him off form this year. Similarly last year broke his scapula, and was still involved in a match winning play.

Severely underrated here, even by our own supporters. Took Sydney’s defense apart earlier in the year. He nearly did his acl in the preseason, harsh to judge him off form this year. Similarly last year broke his scapula, and was still involved in a match winning play.
He is 28 years old, no one is judging him off just one year.

He's capable of games like Sydney or Hawthorn but he doesn't do it enough. He's 29 in February, what you see is what you get.

Also not sure how almost doing an injury excuses a season of inconsistent form? He certainly doesn't move like he is carrying a knee.

He's capable of games like Sydney or Hawthorn but he doesn't do it enough. He's 29 in February, what you see is what you get.

Also not sure how almost doing an injury excuses a season of inconsistent form? He certainly doesn't move like he is carrying a knee.

He just had syndesmosis surgery on an ankle injury he was carrying, he had 2 dominant games this year and many reasonable games. His knee injury effected his first few games of this year after returning from a knee injury in record time.

Injury free he’s an incredible player. 207cm, mobile, can pinch hit in the ruck. Would be a step backwards in our rebuild to let him walk for some pick 20s. 19 and 23 will be pushed back several spots.

He just had syndesmosis surgery on an ankle injury he was carrying, he had 2 dominant games this year and many reasonable games. His knee injury effected his first few games of this year after returning from a knee injury in record time.

Injury free he’s an incredible player. 207cm, mobile, can pinch hit in the ruck. Would be a step backwards in our rebuild to let him walk for some pick 20s. 19 and 23 will be pushed back several spots.
So at what point did his injury stop being a problem? It's not like he's played brilliantly since the bye. He's done what he always does. A couple of blinders, some absolute dross and a bunch of ok games.

Define incredible. Stating his attributes is pointless. Give us his output and explain how it is incredible.

I don't care if it sets back the rebuild. He is 29 next year, the rebuild is going to be set back in the next few years anyway as he is going to enter the twilight of his career. Every player has their price and his is definitely less than a couple of late first/early seconds to us at the moment.

Look i totally get you and Freo fans wanting to keep him due to the lack of depth they have with key forwards but the bold is flat out just not true.

Of he leaves for Goldcoast i genuinely reckon we will get 19 and 23 as well as giving up our second. He aint crap like a lot of people think he is! He plays a position that not a lot of people excel in. Forward/ruck. Tell me others in the AFL that absolutely dominate this position.

Of he leaves for Goldcoast i genuinely reckon we will get 19 and 23 as well as giving up our second. He aint crap like a lot of people think he is! He plays a position that not a lot of people excel in. Forward/ruck. Tell me others in the AFL that absolutely dominate this position.
Fold the Suns if they do that

Lobb doesn’t fit the timeline at the Suns
Isn’t going to come in and set the culture at the club
Isn’t going to make them a considerably better team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fold the Suns if they do that

Lobb doesn’t fit the timeline at the Suns
Isn’t going to come in and set the culture at the club
Isn’t going to make them a considerably better team.
You dont think there forward like will be better with lobb? He probably has another 6 years left. There current ruck is Zac Smith. Ofcoarse he makes them a better team! Give me another forward/ruck who they should target then? Also try tell me a forward/ruck who actually dominates

You dont think there forward like will be better with lobb? He probably has another 6 years left. There current ruck is Zac Smith. Ofcoarse he makes them a better team! Give me another forward/ruck who they should target then? Also try tell me a forward/ruck who actually dominates
Witts is the Suns Ruck when fit

I am also not saying Lobb doesn’t make them better, I am saying he doesn’t make them significantly better.

The Suns have had to regularly over pay players to get them to come/stay. Doing it again with with Lobb and also giving up multiple picks is not going to fix them going forward.

The reason most ruck/forwards don’t dominate is because most good talls have a main role. A ruckman who dominates and can pinch hit forward. Or a gun key forward who pinch hits as a ruck.

If Lobb was good enough to be a gun ruck or forward he would play majority of game time in that role.

ps I highly doubt Lobb is playing until around 35

Last edited:
Lobb would probably look very good at any club where the service was pristine most weeks. It's one of the reason he doesn't do it every week here. Needs the delivery in a specific way and if you do it he is basically unstoppable. Clearly doesn't get that at Freo and wouldn't at GC unless they improve enormously. Would help B.King though.

Personally, I think the only way you could justify trading for him is if you're in your window.

Witts is the Suns Ruck when fit

I am also not saying Lobb doesn’t make them better, I am saying he doesn’t make them significantly better.

The Suns have had to regularly over pay players to get them to come/stay. Doing it again with with Lobb and also giving up multiple picks is not going to fix them going forward.

The reason most ruck/forwards don’t dominate is because most good talls have a main role. A ruckman who dominates and can pinch hit forward. Or a gun key forward who pinch hits as a ruck.

If Lobb was good enough to be a gun ruck or forward he would play majority of game time in that role.

ps I highly doubt Lobb is playing until around 35
A lot of key forwards actually play till this age though! Plus getting talent into GC isnt easy cause they dont wanna go. Retaining talent is also hard.

the trade i suggested values Lobb at a Pick 16 odd

A lot of key forwards actually play till this age though! Plus getting talent into GC isnt easy cause they dont wanna go. Retaining talent is also hard.

the trade i suggested values Lobb at a Pick 16 odd
Plenty also don’t, not sure we can just assume he is playing until 35. At the very least not any where near his peak.

no doubt getting talent is a challenge, paying overs for average players isn’t fixing anything though.

Plenty also don’t, not sure we can just assume he is playing until 35. At the very least not any where near his peak.

no doubt getting talent is a challenge, paying overs for average players isn’t fixing anything though.
Im happy to keep him as a freo supporter. I think as our delivery inside 50 gets better so will he. Young sides tend to just blast it

I think Lobb is still worth a 2nd rounder if he was out of contract. He’s still an decent AFL footballer on average and his position is hard to fill.

Suns would have made plenty worse trades then 19 + 23 for Lobb and 28
Obviously the Weller trade comes to mind but that one from 2019, pick 11 for 27 straight swap was ridiculous.

I know they liked sharp but no other club would ever do that trade no matter how much they rated the payer.

GC truly are the spoilt rich kid with daddy’s credit card when it comes to spending draft capital.
They know dad(AFL) will always have their back

Hence I hope we cash in on their incompetence again

He has 2-3 years left imo..Tops.
Also if Freo want to get rid of his massive cap eating contract, they would have to settle for unders.

He has 2-3 years left imo..Tops.
Also if Freo want to get rid of his massive cap eating contract, they would have to settle for unders.
We don't though, which is the point.
He and his manager want to EXTEND that contract past the remaining two years.
It will be overs, or he stays.

We don't though, which is the point.
He and his manager want to EXTEND that contract past the remaining two years.
It will be overs, or he stays.
I think this is what it will come down to. Do we want to get rid of his contract? The only reason we should need to get rid of his contract is if we have someone big coming in and most Freo supporters dont like the idea of that so you'd hope not.

If we want to get rid of his contract we'd probably accept something stupid like a 3rd, if we dont give a s**t about his contract (and we shouldnt) then its hard to see him going anywhere because a team isnt going to pay what required unless they are tired of working in the AFL industry and want to go out with a bang

All this just means this threads goes absolutely nowhere over the next couple of months

I’d be upset if we traded him for 19 and 23. That would feel like a loss. Both those picks are drifting back a few slots. More likely to be 23 and 27.

He’s worth more than that. I also think he’ll play for years to come. He entered the afl at 21? He’s not been around that long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back