VFL Round 11 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Victoria Park (Pies WON 62-60, replay links post 875, page 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

How did you get them with no Link on the Collingwood Site to the Videos?

The links are on the Collingwood homepage now. Just went up...

Possibly we are light on one key forward and have one extra medium defender than we need but on balance the list has excellent balance. I don't think we have too many inside mids. We only have Adams and Greenwood. Dr Goey has shown that he will be more than a grunt player.

Nothing that can't be tweaked in coming drafts and trade periods. Its not the issue you imagine it to be....add Reid grundy and moore to the 22 and there's tons of talls.

I don't think the issue is the KPP types in the current team so much as it's about depth and longer term development. In the short term, while we can maintain a healthy list we'll be fine. But we also need to be looking longer term to replace Cloke and to a lesser extent Reid, Brown and White. Moore, Marsh and Gault do that to an extent but other options would not go astray.

Don't agree regards Gault and that's okay but 6-7 disposals in a half of VFL footy is not solid. That is setting the bar very low. He did however look a lot better in the second half in the ruck and around the ground. Something I only noticed on watching the replay probably because by that stage my bias had kicked in!!

He doesn't play a big man the way he should IMO. Would be disappointed if we kept him on the list. If we are to get / keep a ruckman on the list to support our two young tyros then number 60 ( sorry to those who have told me what his name is 100 times!!). He has go in him, is as skillful and gets to all the contest he should which is another thing Gault does not do. Really like the look of him and he has not been in an elite environment for as long as Gault- same age I think. My question on him is height.

Maybe Kightmare can tell us something about him.

Anyway I am being a hypocrite by discussing a bit player on our list ad nauseum when it is something that bores me about other such posts.

Yet people are suggesting Moore's 6 possessions game was great....

Would have preferred Gault to putting together some improved performances on a consistent basis this season but hasn't yet. Would need to start to show something or he'll become vulnerable at seasons end.

Greenhough is only 192cm so doubtful he'd cut it at senior level in the ruck but you have to love his competitiveness.

Moore threatens and I think that's why people are getting excited.
I don't think he's ready physically, he's clever enough though.
Both he and Gault provided crucial contests when required and they're not included in the stats.
Yeah Moore played a very dangerous, threatening 6 touch game and kicked 3 goals. Also had one mark spoiled by one of his own players inside 50 and had a dodgy bounce prevent him from putting us in front after then slipping Schoenmaker's in the last.

The thing that was really impressive mas that he competed in the air like a KPP but if he missed it or he was spoilt he immediately went into follow up mode on the ground like a small.

When you have 36 pages and counting on a post match thread for a VFL game then you know you have a passionate supporter base. :thumbsu:

I think more people are discovering the joy of the VFL. Being a televised game helps.

I don't think the issue is the KPP types in the current team so much as it's about depth and longer term development. In the short term, while we can maintain a healthy list we'll be fine. But we also need to be looking longer term to replace Cloke and to a lesser extent Reid, Brown and White. Moore, Marsh and Gault do that to an extent but other options would not go astray.

Cant see any of them needing to be replaced any time soon...Reid the possibel exception but I woudlnt be giving up on him prematurely. Cloke is the oldest and hes only 28 and has never had an injury. Sure, for the medium term we should always be on the lookout for key position players. We drafted three of them in 2006 (four if you count Goldsack, being a taller player too) and had a flag four years later....but not before we'd recruited Leigh Brown and Darren Jolly, and brought Tarrant back to the club in 2011! I see it as a priority for the future but not an urgent one.

We also have the possibilty that Witts and Grundy will eventually work in tandem because they have become comeptent forwards.

Yeah Moore played a very dangerous, threatening 6 touch game and kicked 3 goals. Also had one mark spoiled by one of his own players inside 50 and had a dodgy bounce prevent him from putting us in front after then slipping Schoenmaker's in the last.

The thing that was really impressive mas that he competed in the air like a KPP but if he missed it or he was spoilt he immediately went into follow up mode on the ground like a small.

Agree - His Follow Up Work from a Marking Contest was really impressive.

You had to watch the game(Better Live) to get a better idea

I think more people are discovering the joy of the VFL. Being a televised game helps.
I'm certainly looking forward to watching this game, I'll download it in an hour or two. I saw quite a bit of the Sandringham vs. Footscray clash live via the VFL website yesterday, extremely good entertainment. Having a close finish usually helps, but the quality of the football on display was impressive.

The fact that Collingwood are only in 7th place (and weren't even in the 8 going into this round) suggests the VFL is a pretty decent standard competition, as we have a very good amount of talent running around in our reserves team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly what someone who had the links before they officially went up would say!

Haha!

Honestly though, I don't have that kind of pull. If I did, then I wouldn't be wielding it on third-order issues like getting a heads-up on links for VFL replays...;):D:drunk:

Cant see any of them needing to be replaced any time soon...Reid the possibel exception but I woudlnt be giving up on him prematurely. Cloke is the oldest and hes only 28 and has never had an injury. Sure, for the medium term we should always be on the lookout for key position players. We drafted three of them in 2006 (four if you count Goldsack, being a taller player too) and had a flag four years later....but not before we'd recruited Leigh Brown and Darren Jolly, and brought Tarrant back to the club in 2011! I see it as a priority for the future but not an urgent one.

We also have the possibilty that Witts and Grundy will eventually work in tandem because they have become comeptent forwards.

That's right, we drafted 3 in 2006, but it was 4 years before they started to establish themselves in the seniors. If we drafted 1 this year that'd make Cloke 32 before we'd groomed his replacement. I see KPP depth as our most immediate drafting need.

That's right, we drafted 3 in 2006, but it was 4 years before they started to establish themselves in the seniors. If we drafted 1 this year that'd make Cloke 32 before we'd groomed his replacement. I see KPP depth as our most immediate drafting need.

Yeah we've really left ourselves til this year, or maybe next, as Cloke should comfortably play to 33 if he wants to. Luckily Moore partially addresses this issue but we definitely need another to build with him.

With Marsh's marking developing, an exciting option will be to see him play forward again, especially with the glut of defenders.
When he first came over he was explosive but erratic in F50.
His blistering speed and marking, a future forward line could feature Moore and Trav with 3 smalls making a set up very hard to match up on.

I think shaz is taking massive steps forward. Every week i am seeing something that i didnt see the week before.

We have to remember how far back he is coming back from. Realistically, this year was meant to be a write off following a knee reco, and 2014 was a complete write off...so the fact he is playing as well as he is is a big bonus.

What i saw last weekend was the trademark composure he was known for in his under 18 years. He really looked sharp and confident with ball in hand and had time in a hotly contested game.

His tackling has also got better by the week. He really stuck his tackles on saturday.

His marking has been a feature all year, and his 1 on 1 work is great.

What we havent seen is any real drive. He scunges behind the play for easy disposals and isnt really penetrating with his kicks.

He has also trailed his direct opponent too often to warrant a game at senior level.

I think these problems all stem from match fitness and also confidence. They are the missing piece of his game right now.

As he builds his fitness base, he will run to receive more. He was playing on an afl standard opponent in sicily, and he matched him one on one. He just allowed sicily to lead him into the ball a few times. When he is fully fit, he will be right on his opponents hammer. A bit more confidence in his knee and changing direction will also continue to develop.

Following a serious foot injury and a knee reco, you would dare say his pace is still lacking a bit. Another pre season and hopefully his pace comes back.

Most players take a full year to get their sleed back following a knee reco.

I think he will get a game by years end, but that would be a bonus. Im happy with what im seeing now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back