VFL Round 11 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Victoria Park (Pies WON 62-60, replay links post 875, page 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

What was your take on the Reid 'injury' mattys? Do you think there is something to it? Or a bit of hysteria?
It seemed like he "felt something" as he ran back onto the ground after being off for 2-3 minutes, just as a standard rest. He ran onto the ground, turned around after running about 40 metres and jogged back off, never to be seen again. Then the physio was working on his calf, make of that what you will.

I really don't have a clue what he's done, but it's definitely his calf and has to rule him out of playing vs the Hawks as once again he didn't complete a full VFL game.

Except in this case he's right. Moore's game was far better than the stats make it out to be imo.
Yeah Moore had a real impact on the game. As a junior he never seemed a big possession winner and I suspect that is what we will get from him at least early on. The possessions he gets are pretty good though.

It seemed like he "felt something" as he ran back onto the ground after being off for 2-3 minutes, just as a standard rest. He ran onto the ground, turned around after running about 40 metres and jogged back off, never to be seen again. Then the physio was working on his calf, make of that what you will.

I really don't have a clue what he's done, but it's definitely his calf and has to rule him out of playing vs the Hawks as once again he didn't complete a full VFL game.
That doesnt sound great. He was clearly then heading back to the action when something changed. If he had a knock or cramp he wanted to test I suspect hw would have done that around the boundary

Hopefully he is just being hyper vigilent and what he felt doesnt turn out to be much. He must be very wary of even the slightest twinge

The calf injury (from a kick) has already been confirmed dopey :p

You just continue to prove your lack of basic comprehension... onto ignore for you... ciao

He was also stretching on the boundary, which is a good sign. There's no way he'd be doing that if he had tweaked his calf. No ice or restricted movement after the game was a good sign too.

I know. It wasn't an entirely fair comment. That said, I do think we have loaded up on inside midfielders during a period we had a need to bring on a developing key forward. For the sake of list balance that is something I am critical of Hine regarding. It's an issue many have seen coming for a while.

Don't disagree although you'd imagine they thought they were better placed in the KPP stakes until they lost Keeffe.

Except in this case he's right. Moore's game was far better than the stats make it out to be imo.

Don't disagree that a players performance can be more than the stats tell us, been making exactly that point in relation to Blair. But that doesn't elevate his game to being a worthy inclusion among the bests. And "far better" is a bit of a stretch.

Don't disagree that a players performance can be more than the stats tell us, been making exactly that point in relation to Blair. But that doesn't elevate his game to being a worthy inclusion among the bests. And "far better" is a bit of a stretch.
I disagree that it's a stretch, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I do agree he probably wasn't quite in the bests though either.

I disagree that it's a stretch, but you're welcome to your opinion.

I do agree he probably wasn't quite in the bests though either.

And that was the point of my earlier post suggesting Manteit likely more worthy of inclusion in the bests than Moore.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how much we elevate Moore's performance. I though he was good, worked hard, but wasn't able to impact for large parts of the game.

I reckon Gault was solid from the start on Saturday. I read a few comments at half time that he wasnt which at the time differed from what I was thinking. watched the replay yday and his first Q was good, involved, hitting the contest well, some reasonable ruckwork and ground ball involvements. Didnt star but a good game ovrall.

I do agree we sometimes see what we are looking for. I am pretty ambivalent about Gault but he is worth continuing with and I suspect will be on the list in 2016.

Don't agree regards Gault and that's okay but 6-7 disposals in a half of VFL footy is not solid. That is setting the bar very low. He did however look a lot better in the second half in the ruck and around the ground. Something I only noticed on watching the replay probably because by that stage my bias had kicked in!!

He doesn't play a big man the way he should IMO. Would be disappointed if we kept him on the list. If we are to get / keep a ruckman on the list to support our two young tyros then number 60 ( sorry to those who have told me what his name is 100 times!!). He has go in him, is as skillful and gets to all the contest he should which is another thing Gault does not do. Really like the look of him and he has not been in an elite environment for as long as Gault- same age I think. My question on him is height.

Maybe Kightmare can tell us something about him.

Anyway I am being a hypocrite by discussing a bit player on our list ad nauseum when it is something that bores me about other such posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Moore had a real impact on the game. As a junior he never seemed a big possession winner and I suspect that is what we will get from him at least early on. The possessions he gets are pretty good though.

Yeah never remember getting massive numbers but theu are Highly Impactful

Ditto in bold

At the time it wouldn't have shocked me if Hine took Lennon in lieu of The Bont (in the draft thread at the time I actually stated I thought we'd go w Lennon)

Yeah we were keen on the Bont at the time. I think the Dogs knew we were into him big time and he bolted over the last few weeks/ month to go at 4. If we were to have picked up Bont at 5 then there's every chance we may have landed your man Lennon at 10 giving us the big bodied mid (Bont) and the utility that could also eventually play mid (Lennon). I Had Lennon at around pick 12/13.

I agree with the bias that people have when watching certain players. I personally look for Gault to fall over every time he goes near it for instance. Still did it in this game but not as often as my bias thought he had.

Gault had a very poor 1st half when quite a few comments were made (6-7 non descript touches) and a good 2nd half when in the ruck.

Moore was probably the opposite. Started well and not much in the 2nd half. In his next game I will look for how often he plays from behind as it was doing my head in. Not sure whether it was the disposal to him or a trait he needs to work on.

We all have bias for or against some players based on how we think the game should be played, expectations based on our hope that they are good player etc etc. When the bias is acknowledged it is easier to catch yourself reacting to it then when continually defending it because one is unaware of it.

What I saw at TAC Cup he did play in Front and don't remember him coming behind Much.

Watch his Highlight Package and the TAC Cup GF and even U-18 Games

I know. It wasn't an entirely fair comment. That said, I do think we have loaded up on inside midfielders during a period we had a need to bring on a developing key forward. For the sake of list balance that is something I am critical of Hine regarding. It's an issue many have seen coming for a while.

Possibly we are light on one key forward and have one extra medium defender than we need but on balance the list has excellent balance. I don't think we have too many inside mids. We only have Adams and Greenwood. Dr Goey has shown that he will be more than a grunt player.

Nothing that can't be tweaked in coming drafts and trade periods. Its not the issue you imagine it to be....add Reid grundy and moore to the 22 and there's tons of talls.

Geezuz, few of you blokes have a bad nights sleep last night did you?

Can anyone tell me (without being a grumpy prick) if the reason the vfl replay isn't up on the Collingwood website is because it was on fta tv this week or for some other reason?

Geezuz, few of you blokes have a bad nights sleep last night did you?

Can anyone tell me (without being a grumpy prick) if the reason the vfl replay isn't up on the Collingwood website is because it was on fta tv this week or for some other reason?

It be out this Afternoon and There is a Torrent for it as well

Will Greenwood come in this week?

His performance didn't warrant it and I doubt he has the match fitness yet.

I think he should earn a spot rather than being gifted one, he is no different to any other player. Hopefully he is dominate next week in the VFL

His performance didn't warrant it and I doubt he has the match fitness yet.

I think he should earn a spot rather than being gifted one, he is no different to any other player. Hopefully he is dominate next week in the VFL

I think he is the kind of player who adapts to the level he is playing at but your right he might need another week in the VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back