VFL Round 11 - Collingwood vs Box Hill at Victoria Park (Pies WON 62-60, replay links post 875, page 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

If this were five years ago and I were still living in Juc I probably could have sorted that one out Rob. What's the surf like?

Its 6' tonight....but sposed to build tomorrow....sposed to be big
Sounding pretty big in the dark

Yuhuh listen anyone angry over a bloke with a tight calf needs their head read, IMO.

Wasting your time, likely one of those nasty troll types who's rejoined this month under yet another alias.

Wasting your time, likely one of those nasty troll types who's rejoined this month under yet another alias.
Seriously? You just made yourself look a fool posting without knowing the situation so you fall back on a twelve year olds troll taunt?

Grow up :p

Looking at Stats and Watching the game can be 2 entirley different things

That's convenient when the stats don't support your position.

Must have been a ghost that kicked him in the calf.

Towards the end of the third quarter he ran off for what seemed like a normal break. After 2-3 minutes he went back on after receiving no treatment from the trainers at all, so all seemed good.

He then came on, ran towards the backline, turned around and ran off, never to come back on again.

Did he kick himself?

Could have happened before he came off the first time. I don't see why we need to jump at shadows.

Brad Dick was very good and would be very handy now. Just a shame his body was made of glass. Dual sided with very good speed and goal sense. Not Hines fault he had a shocking run with injuries.

Rusling anyone?

Seriously? You just made yourself look a fool posting without knowing the situation so you fall back on a twelve year olds troll taunt?

Grow up :p

Yawn!

No, you have scans to make absolutely certain you know what is going on and in the best case scenario rule out any injury. Players have scans all the time yet still manage to run out for the next game. Hardly strengthens your point.
The calf injury (from a kick) has already been confirmed dopey :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get really confused when people look at the possession count then use that to decide who were the best and worst players. No offence, but doing that just shows a lack of football knowledge.

Moore kicked 1/3 of our goals and directly set up a 4th. He was playing deep forward all game and all game our kicks into the forward 50 went to the boundary line or to the advantage of a box hill player. He pretty much had to use individual brilliance to get a goal and on 2 occasions he did that.

I don't think I've seen a post from anyone who saw the game that would say Gault played better. If you can't see that Gault is a spud I have to question your rating of players, he won't be on the list in 2016.
Maybe you should re read my post before you shoot off at the mouth. Nowhere did I say Moore played poorly or that Gualt played fantastically. I was making a general observation regarding bias that exists against or for certain players.
Gault and Moore was just an example to illustrate my point. People were saying Gault was hardly seen and did nothing when in fact he had 16 disposal and took 8 marks. He also had a handful of tackles.
I don't use statistics as the only measure to rate a player. If I did that then half the full backs in the league would be spuds. But I don't go calling players spuds based on bias. And what I definitely don't do is call any of our young players spuds. You talk as if your some sort of expert on football yet your too stupid to realize that some players take longer to develop. Especially KPF. Calling young players spuds is disgraceful.

Was he aiming at a KPF? Hard to say it's a miss if that's not what they were after.

I know. It wasn't an entirely fair comment. That said, I do think we have loaded up on inside midfielders during a period we had a need to bring on a developing key forward. For the sake of list balance that is something I am critical of Hine regarding. It's an issue many have seen coming for a while.

I know. It wasn't an entirely fair comment. That said, I do think we have loaded up on inside midfielders during a period we had a need to bring on a developing key forward. For the sake of list balance that is something I am critical of Hine regarding. It's an issue many have seen coming for a while.

I've wondered for years ...

... When Hine does his family shopping does he buy three different breakfast cereals, two different milks, and four different types of apples ...

... Then the next time he buys four different types of bread, and five different types of soft cheese?

He might not be buying all the food groups each shop, but over time he ends up with a yummy well balanced diet

All the people who want Shaz to play in the seniors soon need to read this post, it's spot on.

Our seniors game plan is almost ENTIRELY based on pressuring the ball carrier all over the ground, to put it kindly Sharenberg's pressure on the ball carrier is non-existent. Almost every time there was a ball in dispute in front of him he would jog behind his opponent after it, then slow down as his opponent picked it up, then put on a half hearted smother... pretty much just concede his opponent would get it and kick it from the start. This is in stark contract to how the boys like Williams Toovey Goldsack ect play in the seniors, where they chase every ball like their life depends on it.

I have to assume this attitude is due to lack of faith in his knee, he still doesn't want to go hard at contests. I really hope that's the case because that is something that will be fixed with time.

The defensive Scharenberg is just fine at the moment, good in a 1 on 1 aerial contest but gets chopped up on the lead and doesn't pressure his opponent at all.

The offensive Scharenberg has terrific composure, decision making and foot skills... but he pretty much only gets the ball when his teammates go get it and give it to him. Virtually never takes the game on in an aggressive manner at the moment.

There are plenty of exciting tools to work with that you simply can't teach, but his foot and knee injuries are obviously still very much on his mind... he is still WAY below what he can produce at his best and needs a lot more VFL time.

I still have faith he will be an A grade player, and I'm putting the poor parts of his game mainly down to his injures, I'm expecting him to improve lots in 2016... and when he does then we can think about giving him some AFL time.

Would it be fair to say what happens at around 1 min is an example? He was slightly late on that occasion but clearly didnt want to attack the ball

Maybe you should re read my post before you shoot off at the mouth. Nowhere did I say Moore played poorly or that Gualt played fantastically. I was making a general observation regarding bias that exists against or for certain players.
Gault and Moore was just an example to illustrate my point. People were saying Gault was hardly seen and did nothing when in fact he had 16 disposal and took 8 marks. He also had a handful of tackles.
I don't use statistics as the only measure to rate a player. If I did that then half the full backs in the league would be spuds. But I don't go calling players spuds based on bias. And what I definitely don't do is call any of our young players spuds. You talk as if your some sort of expert on football yet your too stupid to realize that some players take longer to develop. Especially KPF. Calling young players spuds is disgraceful.

I agree with the bias that people have when watching certain players. I personally look for Gault to fall over every time he goes near it for instance. Still did it in this game but not as often as my bias thought he had.

Gault had a very poor 1st half when quite a few comments were made (6-7 non descript touches) and a good 2nd half when in the ruck.

Moore was probably the opposite. Started well and not much in the 2nd half. In his next game I will look for how often he plays from behind as it was doing my head in. Not sure whether it was the disposal to him or a trait he needs to work on.

We all have bias for or against some players based on how we think the game should be played, expectations based on our hope that they are good player etc etc. When the bias is acknowledged it is easier to catch yourself reacting to it then when continually defending it because one is unaware of it.

If I was Ben Reid I'd be getting scans every time I left the bloody house.
He has an MRI machine being installed in his house as we speak, just to save travel time.:drunk:

God I hope he's alright, what I saw standing near the bench didn't look good, I really do hope he only got a kick to the calf and he plays at some level this weekend, even if it's VFL again.

Those first 2 and 1/2 quarters were vintage Ben Reid, intercepting marks, hitting targets 50 metres away that no one else on our list can hit, he would make us so much better, no matter what position he played.

I've been sold on Levi returning too, he did enough, wasn't great and he turned it over a few times but he ran the game out and was in the play in that tough last term.

With REeid reckon we may well have an answer early in the week. if he is training he is hopefully good to go. If he isn't on the track I would be suspicious we wont see him again for a while. He does look really ready to go if he is fit.

He has an MRI machine being installed in his house as we speak, just to save travel time.:drunk:

God I hope he's alright, what I saw standing near the bench didn't look good, I really do hope he only got a kick to the calf and he plays at some level this weekend, even if it's VFL again.

Those first 2 and 1/2 quarters were vintage Ben Reid, intercepting marks, hitting targets 50 metres away that no one else on our list can hit, he would make us so much better, no matter what position he played.

I've been sold on Levi returning too, he did enough, wasn't great and he turned it over a few times but he ran the game out and was in the play in that tough last term.

What was your take on the Reid 'injury' mattys? Do you think there is something to it? Or a bit of hysteria?

I agree with the bias that people have when watching certain players. I personally look for Gault to fall over every time he goes near it for instance. Still did it in this game but not as often as my bias thought he had.

Gault had a very poor 1st half when quite a few comments were made (6-7 non descript touches) and a good 2nd half when in the ruck.

Moore was probably the opposite. Started well and not much in the 2nd half. In his next game I will look for how often he plays from behind as it was doing my head in. Not sure whether it was the disposal to him or a trait he needs to work on.

We all have bias for or against some players based on how we think the game should be played, expectations based on our hope that they are good player etc etc. When the bias is acknowledged it is easier to catch yourself reacting to it then when continually defending it because one is unaware of it.

I reckon Gault was solid from the start on Saturday. I read a few comments at half time that he wasnt which at the time differed from what I was thinking. watched the replay yday and his first Q was good, involved, hitting the contest well, some reasonable ruckwork and ground ball involvements. Didnt star but a good game ovrall.

I do agree we sometimes see what we are looking for. I am pretty ambivalent about Gault but he is worth continuing with and I suspect will be on the list in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back