Autopsy Round 12, 2023 : Hawks on smoko for the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we can understate how fired up Port came out in this game. I've watched their previous couple of games and they came out of the blocks with way more intensity than they have been recently. Pressure way up, tackling way up, sprinting efforts way up.

On face value they took us way more seriously than they took Richmond. We wilted under the pressure of what a fired up and finals bound team is capable of, but we won't in the future.

I question why DGB wasn’t brought in for Sicily. It seemed like a straight swap to me. He would have done much better.
Agree with this. Need to be like for like replacements. Seamus went down, Bailey gets a chance. Frost or Sicily go down, DGB should get a chance. If Weddle or Impey go down then CJ/Scrim get their chance. Etc.

In Clarko's first year, 2005, we played Port at Footy Park in round 13, coming in with 3 wins, same as this year after 12, albeit with a much better percentage than this year. We got hammered by 117 points.

The next year was eerily similar to today, 15 goals to 2 at half time. But we lost that by 96 points. Two years later we won the flag.

An interstate game for a young team against a premiership prospect is always a tough gig.

This team showed a lot of grit to fight back the way they did. Strange, but there was a lot to like about this game. This group of players, despite some horror quarters, has something about them that suggests they are going to be right up there in 2 or 3 years.

I don't think we can understate how fired up Port came out in this game. I've watched their previous couple of games and they came out of the blocks with way more intensity than they have been recently. Pressure way up, tackling way up, sprinting efforts way up.

On face value they took us way more seriously than they took Richmond. We wilted under the pressure of what a fired up and finals bound team is capable of, but we won't in the future.
They played like it was the first week of finals. Honestly despite the thrashing it was a good thing for us to experience.

That’s what the best teams can do. And that’s where we need to be. It was a taste of finals without making it.

Standing up in the 2nd half was important. Now we need to carry that into next week against the lions.

In Clarko's first year, 2005, we played Port at Footy Park in round 13, coming in with 3 wins, same as this year after 12, albeit with a much better percentage than this year. We got hammered by 117 points.

The next year was eerily similar to today, 15 goals to 2 at half time. But we lost that by 96 points. Two years later we won the flag.

An interstate game for a young team against a premiership prospect is always a tough gig.

This team showed a lot of grit to fight back the way they did. Strange, but there was a lot to like about this game. This group of players, despite some horror quarters, has something about them that suggests they are going to be right up there in 2 or 3 years.
And there would have been bigfooty posters typing furiously on their Netspace browser that Franklin and Hodge were spuds that need to be sent to the magoos

We kicked more goals in a losing side compared to the Dees in a winning side who only managed 8.13 to us 14.12
Totally different game.

We also conceded 17 more goals than Melbourne did.

That’s our main deficiency and it’s kinda important. 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s also not forget that in 2014 we shoved a dagger straight into their hearts on prelim final night. That was their only real shot at winning a flag in almost 20yrs. I can understand why they come to play against us.

And there would have been bigfooty posters typing furiously on their Netspace browser that Franklin and Hodge were spuds that need to be sent to the magoos
That would have happened, I’m certain of it. Some things never change, some people will never be able to see beyond the end of their own noses.
Now it’s Nash, Impey, Worps, Reeves, Meek, Blanck, Bramble……………

Frost the Frustrating. He moved out of defense and Port stopped scoring.

Jokes aside, I get why he is there and appreciate the effort he puts in week in and week out but we need someone to move past him and take his position soon.

Weddle the Weapon. Thank you who ever had the idea to go hard for the kid, you are the best.

I think Moore needs more midfield rotation so he can be more damaging and more involved.

Second half was very impressive, people will say Port put the cue in the rack which if that’s the case, that’s also why they won’t win a premiership this year, need to be ruthless.
frost is a laughing stock all the flog commentators laugh at the crap things he does it's a shame hes in the team we need a Brian Lake or gibbo

Let’s also not forget that in 2014 we shoved a dagger straight into their hearts on prelim final night. That was their only real shot at winning a flag in almost 20yrs. I can understand why they come to play against us.
I actually did forget that, and I dare say, so might many others.

If Ken Hinkley used the 2014 PF loss as motivation this week (when only Wines actually played in that game) I will give you my left testicle.

I unfortunately missed the second half, sounds like the best part…
What happened or what were some of the key differences? All I saw was us fall over, look slow and really struggle with sloppy disposals
Day was moved back and Frost moved forward, this made our defense lot stronger and Weddle got got on top of his opponents.
Moore moved to the centre which helped with us gaining control of middle, Moore got 4 second half centre bounce clearances.
MacDonald was moved to the midfield in the final quarter for 10 disposals and 2 clearances

Few positives but the game was over in the space of 10 minutes. 2nd half we fought it out after Port went down to 1st gear.

No team plays 2 rucks that don't contribute foward like we do Sam needs to decide which of the 2 is the sole ruck and bring in Ramma

Out: Reeves/Meek In: Ramma
Out: Bramble In: Ward
Out: Scrimshaw In: Sicily
Out: Frost In: DGB
Out: BMac In: Mitchell

frost is a laughing stock all the flog commentators laugh at the crap things he does it's a shame hes in the team we need a Brian Lake or gibbo
I've watched Frosty closely the past few weeks, and I absolutely love his endeavor but his disposal is quite painful to watch; simple kicks and handballs invariably end up in opponent's hands. It's actually quite baffling considering he has a footy in his hand for a profession.

Few positives but the game was over in the space of 10 minutes. 2nd half we fought it out after Port went down to 1st gear.

No team plays 2 rucks that don't contribute foward like we do Sam needs to decide which of the 2 is the sole ruck and bring in Ramma

Out: Reeves/Meek In: Ramma
Out: Bramble In: Ward
Out: Scrimshaw In: Sicily
Out: Frost In: DGB
Out: BMac In: Mitchell

Ramma has a future, but currently struggles bigtime against any half decent mature ruck

Positives.
1. Port didn't kick 200.
2. Port didn't kick their record score.
3. Port didn't win by 100.
4. Luke Bruest.
Negatives
The Entire 1st half...what was that crap...no effort, no heart.
Just stood there and let Port do what they wanted to....the lack of Effort was akin to the Eagles performance against us.
We won the 2nd half...big frigging deal.

No tackles for Duke but he did suplex the big ruck that was killing us who ended up getting subbed off - that counts for something surely?
Tactical sub only (though a measure of how bad the tactics were that port then got smashed from that point)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back