Autopsy Round 2 vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Neale ****** us in the middle
Rich got off the leash and would hurt us late when the game opened up

The new rules suited Brisbane and they were always going to end up on top.

Bit like an experienced Chess player going up against an inferior opponent.
Ups and downs and will relinquish the lead momentarily. Eventually will come out triumphant.

They have more cohesion with their side and the coach knows what he’s doing.
Sometimes that’s all it takes.

Interesting that Scott said in the presser that Brisbane had to adjust to quell Hall. And yet Neale...

Interesting that Scott said in the presser that Brisbane had to adjust to quell Hall. And yet Neale...
Could have instructed Tyson to sit on him and not worry about the ball
Anything. We don’t have any defensive options with Jed and Jacobs out
But something had to be done

Ups and downs and will relinquish the lead momentarily. Eventually will come out triumphant.

Won't make you feel any better but one of our assistant coaches said on radio that we were 'surprised' a defensive forward didn't do a job on Rich.

Won't make you feel any better but one of our assistant coaches said on radio that we were 'surprised' a defensive forward didn't do a job on Rich.
You can put a minder on Rich and get away with it for a half.
But even the most causal of supporters could see he was going to hurt us as the game opened up and players fatigued.
The ball he was getting wasn’t just in the back half and he started getting more forward as the match progressed.
His shot on goal was so obvious I was half hoping it didn’t hit the post so as to send a message. Nothing happened

From a footballer watcher I was also surprised, he was used to springboard a lot of your attacks and was left to run unchecked.

From a Brad Scott watcher I wasn’t surprised in the least, the guy has NFI tactical nous and doesn’t deviate from his plan.

That’s why smart coaches have his measure. He is predictable and stubborn.

From a footballer watcher I was also surprised, he was used to springboard a lot of your attacks and was left to run unchecked.

From a Brad Scott watcher I wasn’t surprised in the least, the guy has NFI tactical nous and doesn’t deviate from his plan.

That’s why smart coaches have his measure. He is predictable and stubborn.

You can put a minder on Rich and get away with it for a half.
But even the most causal of supporters could see he was going to hurt us as the game opened up and players fatigued.
The ball he was getting wasn’t just in the back half and he started getting more forward as the match progressed.
His shot on goal was so obvious I was half hoping it didn’t hit the post so as to send a message. Nothing happened

It was a weird one because Richy has always been susceptible to a tag - that's why he got moved out of the midfield a few years ago (his ACL injury also contributed to it). He's harder to completely lock down in the back half but still can be kept quiet, though he does build into the game as tazaa says.

Not sure you necessarily have the right sort of defensive forward to do the job either, but I don't know your players particularly well!

I'd love to see us take on Brisbane at chess. Could imagine Scott moving the pawns one by one before a misguided move sees the opposition Queen cut through us like a knife through hot butter.

And that's the real Round 2 match.

We led for over 80% of the game! If not for our midfield debacle, we would have won by 40+. However, if my aunt had balls, she be my uncle...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could have instructed Tyson to sit on him and not worry about the ball
Anything. We don’t have any defensive options with Jed and Jacobs out
But something had to be done

That's a list management issue. We had a role player like Mountford on the list already who had the tank and concentration to sit on a bloke. We knew Jacobs had a history of missing games. Even just rookie listing Mountford would've given us an insurance option for a defensively minded mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a list management issue. We had a role player like Mountford on the list already who had the tank and concentration to sit on a bloke. We knew Jacobs had a history of missing games. Even just rookie listing Mountford would've given us an insurance option for a defensively minded mid.

50 grand extra for Levi Greenwood would have paid off nicely in the first two rounds of this seasons, and several more matches since he left.

Pure ****ing idiocy.

50 grand extra for Levi Greenwood would have paid off nicely in the first two rounds of this seasons, and several more matches since he left.

Pure ****ing idiocy.

It's very modern North Melbourne to **** up something we've already got.

In 2014 our midfield was nicely balanced and building well. Cunnington, NDS and Wells the inside/outside class. Swallow the fighter in congestion. Greenwood the fighter around the ground. Ziebell adding a bit of effective collision because he wasn't expected to be the #1 mid. But it needed all of the elements to fit together to work which was why a few of us were miffed when the club underrated Greenwood's contribution so much at the time.

He wasn't a superstar and had his weaknesses but the eye test told me when he played well, the midfield usually played well and we usually won.

We spent that cash on Higgins.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt it was an either/either scenario. We offered Greenwood 1 year on low coin then somehow managed to jump up to 3 years on good coin when other clubs came knocking. We made public comments like "he loves the club" clearly thinking we had him in the pocket on the cheap.

I doubt it was an either/either scenario. We offered Greenwood 1 year on low coin then somehow managed to jump up to 3 years on good coin when other clubs came knocking. We made public comments like "he loves the club" clearly thinking we had him in the pocket on the cheap.

A 25 year old who had just finished runner up in the B&F wanted an extra year at modest coin.

Moronic.

A 25 year old who had just finished runner up in the B&F wanted an extra year at modest coin.

Moronic.

.................and what did we do with the pick we got for a runner up in the best & fairest?

He's out at Werribee now.

1554156817674.png

The DUMBEST trade of the 2010's period.

I'd love to see us take on Brisbane at chess. Could imagine Scott moving the pawns one by one before a misguided move sees the opposition Queen cut through us like a knife through hot butter.

And that's the real Round 2 match.
Bingo
The defensive forward thing is pretty funny when you consider we play half forwards that don't actually do much in an offensive sense either.
I was going to nominate Turner and Atley to our Brisbane counterpart as options to do a defensive job but was fearful they were trying to do one on Sunday and it was ineffective. Also its embarrassing to describe their contribution as forwards.
We led for over 80% of the game! If not for our midfield debacle, we would have won by 40+. However, if my aunt had balls, she be my uncle...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The game was always destined for Brisbane to come out on top considering the amount of ball they won out of the middle and the inside 50 count
We were trying to hold on for as long as possible

I was going to nominate Turner and Atley to our Brisbane counterpart as options to do a defensive job but was fearful they were trying to do one on Sunday and it was ineffective. Also its embarrassing to describe their contribution as forwards.

We routinely get cut up by rebounding defenders, so it does question the actual role Turner is playing.

Atley is at least a decent score-assist player. Unfortunately they kicked 24 goals COMBINED in 2018 which is pretty damning when you consider we don't actually have a small/medium forward kicking goals (unless you count Ziebell, who to me is more of a lead-up player).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back