Autopsy Round 21, 2023 : Hawks roast the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

What made the win even sweeter was Collingwood we’re pushing, they wanted it badly and didn’t like how we were up and about.

Sam Mitchell has always loved playing Collingwood, may that continue. I know coaches build systems but it almost feels like Sam is creating something more organic, a lot more variation in our playing style that can’t just be a system but maybe I’m wrong.

Having multiple key talls really allows our smalls and Lewis to take ownership over the game and the space they want, plus watching bruest with Ryan and kozi, he really is our most valuable player in the front half (not even for the scoring he brings), may be the smartest small forward the game has seen.

Just finished another rewatch.

We don't need Frosty in the starting 22 unless it's cover for injuries, our back 6 looks so much more stable when he's not playing. As much as he is a heart and soul player and a leader, the younger guys have arrived and it's their time now.

Kosi looks a million dollars in this second ruck/third tall role that Sam made for him, hopefully it's not just a one-off and he can continue to build his confidence.

Our Irish experiment worked.

The mid-season draft is the best AFL invention in the last 50 years.

WhatI know coaches build systems but it almost feels like Sam is creating something more organic, a lot more variation in our playing style that can’t just be a system but maybe I’m wrong.

Definitely think there's something to this organic style we're building on top of the system Sam has in place.

Seems like we're backing players to do things that aren't 'safe' in the Clarko sense of ball control.

Whether that be intentionally looking for Sicily to break a tackle when launching an attack off the half back flank, or kicking to a leading player in the position A rebound zone for defenders when the 50 is crowded, the guys are trusting each other's strengths more. Guys like WIngard are encouraged to create and not play as safe.

We played our best midfield after every goal too, which didn't hurt. Kosi stepped up in the ruck to help that group also, and Reeves is already top tier at centre bounces (and he also played better around the ground this week).

Incredible win, we'd have to be close to the best 16th placed side in the history of AFL at a guess. Not something you want to hang your hat on, but it's indicative of the upside in this team. Even when we've only brought it for a quarter, our best has been good enough to win all year (had we managed to sustain it).

Anyone notice the very brief acknowledgment between hawks and t.mitchell at the end of the match?
To be fair they all live in Melbourne and for all we know Mitchell has been catching up with a fair few of them through out the year. It's not like he's interstate and this is the first time most of them have seen him sine he left.

If Daicos wants to try playing full forward he can deal with colliding with a full back.

Had no business going down there. If that was McStay leading out at full forward it would have been a nothing event and they'd get up.

I don't understand why Collingwood didn't either just keep Daicos on the ball and have him do what Sam Mitchell used to do when tagged just drag his tagged into the ruckmans tap zone and cause congestion. Daicos should have been trying to get in Day and Newcombe's way.

The other alternative is put Daicos half back and have him follow wingard or Moore or even Bruest would mean those guys wouldn't have space and Collingwood could swap and change who is the loose rebounder. The risk there is that Finn would be beating Daicos in the air and for strength most times so Daicos could have ended up with 4 kicked on him and even further embarrassed.

Pies coach trying something. Worth a go but didn't come off. Trying to shake the Maginness tag is hard.

Maybe Collingwood should’ve just tried to get the W but instead they likely went in half a$$ed and now they’re in a wold of hurt because when you go into any contest that way you usually end up with injuries and they now seem to have payed the ultimate price. The f**ked around and now they’re finding out that there’s a new upstart in town that is the Mighty Fighting Hawks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Lewis on the run or Harry from 50 to respond to their two quick goals! Mate, it was ON!

Usually don’t carry on much at the footy but the Harry one post all the fighting I was fired up and gave about 15 blokes around me the sit down for all the rubbish they were spewing.

This was a great four quarter effort by our boys but we still have a long way to go to play well consistently. Our best football is exciting and many of the young players have a great future but a top four team will bring a consistent performance to almost every game.
I love watching our guys at the moment but they will be much more predictable when we fill the obvious gaps in our list and the young guys get another preseason and a few more games experience.
I have no doubt our best is yet to come.

Has Brock been playing hard or half at it, of late. I'd suggest the later and that he may have kind of checked out already. Twins, family and home would have the most logical decision squared away.

I didn’t see him at the game with the other listed players sitting near us but that does not mean he was not there somewhere?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone that had watched hawthorn the last season or even 2 relatively close sly knew quite well that T.Mitchell was probably slightly holding back our young kids from progressing purely because he demands midfield time.

He is a good player in the right team no doubt about it. Prime Tom Mitchell is a ball hunter accumulator and we know if he played games on his terms he would certainly be getting close to 40 most weeks. Modern coaching is going a different direction though and I suspect this contributes more to his form slump than anything.

Blame Blanck being a massive unit. You play full forward, you get the big guys

You play forward, sometimes you’ll get hit from all directions, like forwards do.

The Blanck hit is a non-issue. Slightly late, didn’t get him high and and didn’t even go through with it. No 50 and Collingwood players didn’t seem to care, Blanck just got up and strolled off.

Even Daicos was matter of fact about it. I thought his response/behaviour on the bench was pretty mature tbh, given how his day panned out.

Like v brisbane in mcg we seem to match up well

Knowing collingwoods 4th quarter track record v our last two goalless 4th quarters I was very pleasantly surprised.

2 injured on the bench for the pies probably helped

What made the win even sweeter was Collingwood we’re pushing, they wanted it badly and didn’t like how we were up and about.

Sam Mitchell has always loved playing Collingwood, may that continue. I know coaches build systems but it almost feels like Sam is creating something more organic, a lot more variation in our playing style that can’t just be a system but maybe I’m wrong.

Having multiple key talls really allows our smalls and Lewis to take ownership over the game and the space they want, plus watching bruest with Ryan and kozi, he really is our most valuable player in the front half (not even for the scoring he brings), may be the smartest small forward the game has seen.

Systems not that different. Also another side story is apparently Sammy was first choice for the job mccrae has now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back