Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloof, no. His body language after the game was that of someone numb with relief, as if he’d had a captain cook over the edge of the cliff and been given an unexpected reprieve.

Also, on TV before the game he didn’t make any dumb don’t-care type of comment, as he’s done for weeks in a row.

It was as if this was a completely different person.

Communication to the senior coach from above generally comes via CD as GM Football, and his own body language after the game was cool, calm, professional ... but then, with CD, it invariably is.

Edit: I believe it was CD who had to virtually order Hinkley to give up part of his end of season break to fly overseas for a coaching tutorial, first one ever. The GM Football’s patience with his senior coach would surely have been running out.
CD seems to me to be a very smart operator.

CD seems to me to be a very smart operator.
I really like him. First impression, I liked him. I really hope he stays ... maybe even our next CEO.

You said the atmosphere was dead before the game. Others have said it was more upbeat than usual.

Perhaps you felt it was dead because you’re dead inside.

The crowd was dead until the last 2 minute when we had the game. Everyone knows or should I say don’t know which Port Adelaide will show up. Years of inconsistencies is on Hinkley

The crowd was dead until the last 2 minute when we had the game. Everyone knows or should I say don’t know which Port Adelaide will show up. Years of inconsistencies is on Hinkley
I don"t know where you sit, but it was far from dead around where I am. As soon as it was clear we were up for the fight everyone was into it. Tense, yes, but dead, definitely not.

Mate calm down. I quoted you before you edited your post.

Why do you care if I'm online or not?

You're taking stuff way too personally. Go have a lie down.

Furthermore, Mister DazalenkoUBewty, I've done a brief search of my posts over the last six months and the only thing explicitly negative I've said w/r/t Hinkley (aside from general negative commentary lamenting our lack of winning and a tally of the winless quarters under his regime) was this, posted in the random thoughts thread;

He's dumb as ****

Tuesday morning:
"Yerr narh they've selected small defenders so we'll match them with small forwards..."

Saturday evening:
"Youse have gotta give them full credit, we didn't got forward targets like we should have and they outplayed us but how even is this comp we can't win every game"

Wrong thread but farken

Which, (even if you ignore the context of it in TRRT) on the back of the Hawthorn Tassie debarcle I completely stand by.

Unless you have anything else you can point me to I'd appreciate you dropping your antagonistic posts and personal insults aimed at me.

Unless y'all salty because I didn't delete my response to your post mentioning Broadbent which made you look a bit silly?

And why could these players win clearances so easily? Because their opponents had to be aware that if we won the ball, one of our forwards was the best contested mark in the competition. So they had to stay at least neutral at centre clearances and couldn't go goal side and roll the dice, because if they did their defence would be in trouble. Wines even said that all of the goals they scored were when they could get goal side (which you can do when you're playing counter attack from defensive 50).

That's why Fremantle could towel us up in clearances last week, and we towelled up the best team in the competition this week.

Crediting Dixon's presence with the clearance differential is such a fanciful load of s**t. Dixon isn't a Careyesque force of nature KPF, especially not coming off of a year off.

We also managed to destroy West Coast in the clearances with Ryder and Marshall playing KPF.

We've been the best clearance side in the league across the season despite having Dixon out until last week.

Our clearance work didn't really help us score anyway, it just stopped Geelong from scoring. We had our 2nd lowest score of the year, with Geelong having by far their lowest score.

Hell, based on your assessment of the mentality of Geelong mids at stoppages, I could argue that their mids were hesitant because they knew how badly Hawkins was getting destroyed by Clurey.

Crediting Dixon's presence with the clearance differential is such a fanciful load of ****. Dixon isn't a Careyesque force of nature KPF, especially not coming off of a year off.

We also managed to destroy West Coast in the clearances with Ryder and Marshall playing KPF.

We've been the best clearance side in the league across the season despite having Dixon out until last week.

Our clearance work didn't really help us score anyway, it just stopped Geelong from scoring. We had our 2nd lowest score of the year, with Geelong having by far their lowest score.

Hell, based on your assessment of the mentality of Geelong mids at stoppages, I could argue that their mids were hesitant because they knew how badly Hawkins was getting destroyed by Clurey.

We had Powell-Pepper (3 clearances, averaging 3.2 per game), Rockliff (6 clearances, averaging 6.8 per game) and Drew (3 clearances, averging 2.6 per game) playing against West Coast. That's an extra 12 clearances on top of regular mids Boak (8 clearances), Wines (7 clearances), Sam Gray (4 clearances) and Robbie Gray (3 clearances).

Wanna guess how many clearances we beat West Coast by?

When guys like Powell-Pepper, Rockliff, Drew and Sam Gray are winning clearances against seasoned midfielders, it shouldn't be a surprise. They are all inside or inside/outside midfielders, after all. Winning clearances is what they are supposed to do.

When Karl Amon (6 clearances, average 3.1 per game) and Dan Houston (5 clearances, average 2.0 per game) are winning clearances against seasoned midfielders like Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan and the leading AFLCA player in Kelly, there's more to it than just 'we're a good clearance side'. Amon and Houston might be good players, but they aren't Dangerfield/Selwood/Duncan/Kelly good. Not without help.

And that help was Dixon playing. Even Lycett got more room than he normally does around the ruck contest and could gather 9 clearances (avg 3.7) because we finally had a decent key forward. Stanley is poor, but he's not that poor. Brodie Grundy could only manage 7 clearances against him, and he's the best ruck in the competition, averaging 5.5 clearances per game.

That's why I say bring back Westhoff and Ryder for Amon and Howard. We'll find spots for those two when they come back, but Westhoff and Ryder will also benefit from having a true key forward in the side.

Kern on 360 tonight 'coaches night' - him and Chris Scott for 30 minutes.

For the first time in a while I could actually sit, watch and listen to him without cringing...

Has the penny dropped? I think a few here have mentioned that his demeanor on the weekend was different... he actually sounded different tonight.

Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had Powell-Pepper (3 clearances, averaging 3.2 per game), Rockliff (6 clearances, averaging 6.8 per game) and Drew (3 clearances, averging 2.6 per game) playing against West Coast. That's an extra 12 clearances on top of regular mids Boak (8 clearances), Wines (7 clearances), Sam Gray (4 clearances) and Robbie Gray (3 clearances).

Wanna guess how many clearances we beat West Coast by?

When guys like Powell-Pepper, Rockliff, Drew and Sam Gray are winning clearances against seasoned midfielders, it shouldn't be a surprise. They are all inside or inside/outside midfielders, after all. Winning clearances is what they are supposed to do.

When Karl Amon (6 clearances, average 3.1 per game) and Dan Houston (5 clearances, average 2.0 per game) are winning clearances against seasoned midfielders like Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan and the leading AFLCA player in Kelly, there's more to it than just 'we're a good clearance side'. Amon and Houston might be good players, but they aren't Dangerfield/Selwood/Duncan/Kelly good. Not without help.

And that help was Dixon playing. Even Lycett got more room than he normally does around the ruck contest and could gather 9 clearances (avg 3.7) because we finally had a decent key forward. Stanley is poor, but he's not that poor. Brodie Grundy could only manage 7 clearances against him, and he's the best ruck in the competition, averaging 5.5 clearances per game.

That's why I say bring back Westhoff and Ryder for Amon and Howard. We'll find spots for those two when they come back, but Westhoff and Ryder will also benefit from having a true key forward in the side.

What dribble are you on about ?

Maybe Dan Houston got more than avg clearances because hes playing midfield ?
Maybe Karl got more clearances because both SPP and Rocky aren't in the team and someones gotta do it ?
Maybe Lycett got more clearances BECAUSE HE WAS A STAND ALONE RUCK and spent more time next to the ball ?

Having said that, I completely echo your sentiment that both Ryder and/or Westy would benefit playing 2nd or 3rd banana in the forward line.

Kern on 360 tonight 'coaches night' - him and Chris Scott for 30 minutes.

For the first time in a while I could actually sit, watch and listen to him without cringing...

Has the penny dropped? I think a few here have mentioned that his demeanor on the weekend was different... he actually sounded different tonight.

Time will tell.

A miniature Schofield is Ratatouilleing Ken.

Did you have your ears blocked lol .. Funny, you can even hear Port supporters on the replay during the game.

What dribble are you on about ?

Maybe Dan Houston got more than avg clearances because hes playing midfield ?
Maybe Karl got more clearances because both SPP and Rocky aren't in the team and someones gotta do it ?
Maybe Lycett got more clearances BECAUSE HE WAS A STAND ALONE RUCK and spent more time next to the ball ?

Having said that, I completely echo your sentiment that both Ryder and/or Westy would benefit playing 2nd or 3rd banana in the forward line.

Maybe Houston has been a midfielder for all of two minutes, and he got more clearances than Tim Kelly?
Maybe Amon got as many clearances as Joel Selwood?
Maybe Grundy is a stand alone ruck too, and he got less clearances than Lycett against the same player?

Are we really trying to say that Houston and Amon are better clearance winners than Kelly and Selwood? Or that Lycett is a better clearance winner than Grundy? Come on, man.

Maybe Houston has been a midfielder for all of two minutes, and he got more clearances than Tim Kelly?
Maybe Amon got as many clearances as Joel Selwood?
Maybe Grundy is a stand alone ruck too, and he got less clearances than Lycett against the same player?

Are we really trying to say that Houston and Amon are better clearance winners than Kelly and Selwood? Or that Lycett is a better clearance winner than Grundy? Come on, man.

You've got a sample size of 1 game.

I'm working with our players and their averages. That's a much more useful metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back