Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that might work and could be a route to confirm Cerra with 6 29 35 values him around 2 - Freo that can split 6 or 8 and bundle 29 & 35 to get the right WA kids. Just not sure Blues would do it.

6 29 AND 35 is way way too much. That's almost Judd level. Cerra has done what exactly to justify three picks?

6 plus 25 for Cerra and a 3rd ls more like it.

It's not the physical tools he lacks, it's the mental part of the game you'll have to try and unlock.

It's both really.

He's not particularly big, and has no real inclination to crack in and win the hard ball. The issue is on the outside he's equally as deficient - almost exclusively takes conservative options, isn't quick, doesn't get much of it, doesn't have the fitness to run all day and outwork opponents eg Langdon or Hunter.

Wont discount him becoming a handy role player, which is basically what he was at Carlton, but the reality is he just isn't that good at football despite having a high footy IQ and general feel for the game. It counts for nought if you can only get properly involved in a couple of games a year when the opposition lets you run amok.

Keen to see how he goes at another club. Always felt like he'd be in Victoria temporarily, and he'd get back to WA eventually.

I think that might work and could be a route to confirm Cerra with 6 29 35 values him around 2 - Freo than can split 6 or 8 and bundle 29 & 35 to get the right WA kids. Just not sure Blues would do it.
Was thinking Blues would keep one of the second rounders to be honest

6 29 AND 35 is way way too much. That's almost Judd level. Cerra has done what exactly to justify three picks?

6 & 25 for Cerra & 3rd rounder

So what do they get for SPS? Think my answer was more a 3 way between Eagles - Carlton - Fremantle

Freo Get - 6 & 29 & 35 Give - Cerra & 2022 3rd Values Cerra @ 3 leaves then with 6,8,27,29 & 35 so ample space to do deals to lock in best WA kids

Eagles get - 25 & SPS Give - 29 & 35 Values SPS around pick 40

Carlton Get - Cerra & 2022 3rd Give - 6 & 25 & SPS Carlton get their man

The deals get done, everybody moves on.

PS - I would do that deal for Freo, I would do that deal for WC ... Carlton the stumbling block if I'm the new coaching staff (unless you gave me an extra 1 year on the contract so maybe 4 instead of 3 etc ) . But its not up to me its up to the players.

Maybe 27 & 35 gets me Dogs pick @ 18 .... Now dockers have 6, 8, 18, 29 and still got room for more trades (I'd definitely be talking with Brisbane & maybe Port) .

Last edited:
Time for Carlton to move on from these types of players so we just take whatever we can get and move forward

Yeah and he is contracted so you might have to move him on plus keep his salary. WCE have all the power unless Carlton want to keep him - no big loss to Eagles.

Time for Carlton to move on from these types of players so we just take whatever we can get and move forward
Decisions need to be made on Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy, LOB, Fisher and Cuningham.

I’d be surprised if more than two of these are on the Carlton list by the end of 2022.

Decisions need to be made on Dow, Setterfield, Kennedy, LOB, Fisher and Cuningham.

I’d be surprised if more than two of these are on the Carlton list by the end of 2022.

Most of these guys are contracted.

Kennedy was arguably our second best mid this year but could leave off his own volition, Cuningham will probably be re-rookied.

Doubt we’d move the others on given they’ve all showed varying degrees of ability and would want to see the effect a new coaching group has.

SPS is uncontracted, none of his salary will be on our books next year.

Thank-you - I thought he had a year left. But will take your word. So the Eagles only have to trade in good faith - which can happen. But yeah his value drops.

Oh well - poor Carlton poor Freo. Such is life.

Doubt we’d move the others on given they’ve all showed varying degrees of ability and would want to see the effect a new coaching group has.
I think Kennedy will get one more but don’t think he’s the answer as a mid in a finals side.

Setterfield and LOB should be moved this off-season. Lucky that they have contracts.

Dow may need another club to realise his full potential and he may want to take the chance this year.

Agree they can’t cut Cuningham this year but next year will be his seventh in the system and he’s sporadic at best. I’m not sure his type takes you forward.

Similar with Fisher but he’s a bit younger. I see more with the latter but am unsure of his best position.

I can’t see more than two of those lasting beyond 2022. The days of looking at a couple of good games and hoping a player comes good need to be behind the blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really care what he gets traded for I'm just glad he's going to a team that knows how to manage players. Listened to about 30 seconds of Adam Simpson's interview talking about him and he already has more of a clue of how to get the best out of SPS than Teague did in 3 years. Hes an absolutely elite talent and I'm looking forward to seeing him shine

Don't really care what he gets traded for I'm just glad he's going to a team that knows how to manage players. Listened to about 30 seconds of Adam Simpson's interview talking about him and he already has more of a clue of how to get the best out of SPS than Teague did in 3 years. Hes an absolutely elite talent and I'm looking forward to seeing him shine
Elite talent....lol. Had years to show it and never did. Maybe the Eagles can teach him to tackle, chase, put his body on the line, show desperation, build a tank etc....good luck with that

Elite talent....lol. Had years to show it and never did. Maybe the Eagles can teach him to tackle, chase, put his body on the line, show desperation, build a tank etc....good luck with that
Theres a difference between elite talent and elite player. All those things you mention are mindset issues as he's shown the ability to do all of them, he just doesnt do them consistently. As I said, I'm looking forward to seeing him play for a better club than Carlton has been the last few years. Strong clubs have better development than we do

West Coast can definitely get someone to build their tank. The rest we've shown to be pretty s**t at.

Theres a difference between elite talent and elite player. All those things you mention are mindset issues as he's shown the ability to do all of them, he just doesnt do them consistently. As I said, I'm looking forward to seeing him play for a better club than Carlton has been the last few years. Strong clubs have better development than we do
It all comes down to the players mind set and work ethic and and SPS clearly has been poor at Carlton and can't see that changing no matter what club he us at

It all comes down to the players mind set and work ethic and and SPS clearly has been poor at Carlton and can't see that changing no matter what club he us at
Dont disagree, but I think WCE will have a lot better systems in place to get the best out of him.

He's definitely worth a first round pick, with a fringe player back to WCE.

Deal should get done in the first few days of trade week

SPS has a lot of upside, and will improve any teams list
Mate if you're holding any hope of getting West Coast's pick 10 for SPS, you are going to be extremely dissapointed. Eagles' highest draft pick in years, desperately need to draft a young kid with scope to become a top shelf mid. This pick is sacrosanct. SPS after 5 years in the system is a mile from a top shelf mid. After 5 years we stop thinking much about upside and start looking at output. His output shows he is a fringe player on a downward trajectory. If the reason he hasn't delivered on his potential to-date is because of Carlton's development then sadly the Eagles (or any club) will not be able to undo 5 years of poor development - those years are lost and history shows rarely (if ever?) does a player reach their supposed potential after this.
Even picks 29 and 35 I wouldn't part with. If that meant missing out altogether on him, so be it, I'd be happy to go to the draft with those picks in the hope of securing someone who at best will be a 4th or 5th string mid.

Mate if you're holding any hope of getting West Coast's pick 10 for SPS, you are going to be extremely dissapointed. Eagles' highest draft pick in years, desperately need to draft a young kid with scope to become a top shelf mid. This pick is sacrosanct. SPS after 5 years in the system is a mile from a top shelf mid. After 5 years we stop thinking much about upside and start looking at output. His output shows he is a fringe player on a downward trajectory. If the reason he hasn't delivered on his potential to-date is because of Carlton's development then sadly the Eagles (or any club) will not be able to undo 5 years of poor development - those years are lost and history shows rarely (if ever?) does a player reach their supposed potential after this.
Even picks 29 and 35 I wouldn't part with. If that meant missing out altogether on him, so be it, I'd be happy to go to the draft with those picks in the hope of securing someone who at best will be a 4th or 5th string mid.

Carlton FC true colours starting to shine - Freo want to deal with them.

Maybe best we leave Carlton & Freo to argue all week and the rest of us get the deals done, get the players where they want to go & get on with the footy.

With the exception of having a tank, they were literally the attributes that got him drafted in the first place. He was an agent of chaos and you stripped it from him.

I think we will be more than active this trade period as looking from afar we need to refine the rebuild.

I think we nailed KPP our spine is as good as I have seen in years but midfield quality will need to refined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back