Traded Sam Weideman [Traded with #54 and #72 to Essendon for #37]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox.

Wouldn’t make sense to trade out a 25 year old Weideman to try upgrade to a 31 year old Mason Cox.

Only time it would make sense is if Weiderman was part of a trade package to bring in an elite key forward such as King brothers, McKay, Naughton etc.

Trading him out to just replace him as a depth ruck/forward makes no sense to the dees, better off just keeping him there and hoping he comes good and can play a Mcstay role or try his hand as a key defender.

Wouldn’t make sense to trade out a 25 year old Weideman to try upgrade to a 31 year old Mason Cox.

Only time it would make sense is if Weiderman was part of a trade package to bring in an elite key forward such as King brothers, McKay, Naughton etc.

Trading him out to just replace him as a depth ruck/forward makes no sense to the dees, better off just keeping him there and hoping he comes good and can play a Mcstay role or try his hand as a key defender.

You asked who was a better 10 game a year ruck forward.

I don't see the point of keeping a player who isn't going to make it at AFL level on a list but each to their own.

I am curious why you are in this thread if you don’t think he can make it at afl level?

His a depth player, what’s the point of trading him out and having an even worse player come in for those 10 matches a year when needed? Every list needs depth/role players.

As mentioned, only makes sense to trade him as to if his part of a package for a genuine A grade forward.

Can someone please just take him?

He seems to be a great bloke, and there's definitely some ability still there, but he's just never going to get it done at Melbourne. Would be best for both him and the club to part ways.

Can someone please just take him?

He seems to be a great bloke, and there's definitely some ability still there, but he's just never going to get it done at Melbourne. Would be best for both him and the club to part ways.

I disagree. Makes no sense for MfC to offload him for a dinky 3rd rounder which will result in us just drafting another fringe tall player whose had less development.

It’s not like we are going to get any upgrade while we are in our premiership window through trading him.

Last edited:
I am curious why you are in this thread if you don’t think he can make it at afl level?

His a depth player, what’s the point of trading him out and having an even worse player come in for those 10 matches a year when needed? Every list needs depth/role players.

As mentioned, only makes sense to trade him as to if his part of a package for a genuine A grade forward.

Because this is a football discussion forum where posters give their opinion on players and their value.

I disagree. Makes no sense for MfC to offload him for a dinky 3rd rounder which will result in us just drafting another fringe tall player whose had less development.

It’s not like we are going to get any upgrade while we are in our premiership window through trading him.
But you know what you're getting from him at Melbourne. He's been on the list for seven years and has kicked 59 goals in that time.

His development stalled 3-4 years ago, and he hasn't showed anything in that time to suggest that he'll be even best-22 worthy at his peak. I'd rather take a punt on a third-rounder that could potentially turn into something more valuable, but it's even worth it just for freeing up some cap space tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you know what you're getting from him at Melbourne. He's been on the list for seven years and has kicked 59 goals in that time.

His development stalled 3-4 years ago, and he hasn't showed anything in that time to suggest that he'll be even best-22 worthy at his peak. I'd rather take a punt on a third-rounder that could potentially turn into something more valuable, but it's even worth it just for freeing up some cap space tbh.

Not in our window. A 3rd round tall would be useless on premiership tilt.

Weed can come in and go into the ruck or up forward if Gawn/Grundy both go down.

Not in our window. A 3rd round tall would be useless on premiership tilt.

Weed can come in and go into the ruck or up forward if Gawn/Grundy both go down.
Like he did against Adelaide where we lost the hitouts 57-13? You're better off bringing in a state league ruckman as a backup in that case.

Again, like the guy. But he doesn't have the competitiveness or confidence to make it as a KPF. He's too small and not strong enough to play in the ruck consistently, and unlike Jackson for instance, his size deficiency isn't balanced out by freakish athleticism or skills below his knees.

Sounds like some would keep him as depth, where some would rather pickup a green kid at a pick in the 50s or a state league player without AFL experience instead.

Either way there’s been no rumours or reports of him wanting to leave or of the dees wanting to trade him so it’s all kinda moot anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back