St Kilda's slide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Worse off than the Dogs, who already have some elite midfield talent into the club. Steven is the only young Saint who comes close.

Don't worry, we'll be poaching some midfield talent just like the bombers did come season's end - and no, we won't be injecting them with banned substances either :eek:

Terry Wallace on the radio gave a timeframe of 7-8 years for the Saints to be contenders again. Probably not unrealistic.

Terry Wallace on the radio gave a timeframe of 7-8 years for the Saints to be contenders again. Probably not unrealistic.

Good chance they'll overtake our record time between flags.

Good chance they'll overtake our record time between flags.

Bit of an overreaction. We have had the longest streak of teams at the moment with a positive win loss record. This year has been poor, but we have been up for a very long time.

I'd like to think it will be more like a Geelong type scenario. Oh so close to winning in the late eighties, nineties but kept coming up against fantastic teams. The heartbreak only made their club stronger, they re-built and came back again harder than ever since the early 2000s with a new breed.

We re-load now over the next few drafts with higher picks, our veterans teach the youngsters how to work hard, and from 2017 we are back in contention. We are far from a basket-case and have learned a lot from our time at the top that will help us in the coming years.

Maister is Injured and our other options are Siposs who is out of form and White who is not ready for AFL footy yet and we are getting him to 200 games.

Also a lack of a key defender is hurting us big time. I am pleased with our mids that are coming through but they need more development and pre season to get a fitness base and better at their skills.

We are probably in for a long haul rebuild and won't contend for a flag probably to 2017 and what we are seeing right now is a combination of Poor Drafting and Development 2004-2010 and going full tilt for a flag which did not pay off.

Its mid 2013 now and you expect to see the Saints push for the Flag by 2017... your kidding me right?

Your young midfield has potential but thats the only positive, Im more concerned with your ageing KPPs. Riewoldt and Sam Fisher have 2-3 years left and you need guys to replace them when they will retire.

Freos 2008 Squad was Much, much worse than the saints. Freo had to get rid of many old guys: Peter Bell, Shaun McManus, Mark Johnson, Matt Carr, Josh Carr, Jeff Farmer and had to trade Rob Warnock in 2008 alone. Freo had to go 2 years of culling to get somewhere.

The biggest Positive is that the Saints can take advantage of the Free agency rules. Saints can lure some experienced players on 2-3 year deals while the kids develop.

2005, 2006, 2007 Sydney won this honour. It didn't seem to matter on BF then so why should it now.

Firstly can you prove your claims?

Secondly even if can prove your claims.it doesn't make St Kilda's treatment by the umpires the last few years any better.

Its mid 2013 now and you expect to see the Saints push for the Flag by 2017... your kidding me right?

Your young midfield has potential but thats the only positive, Im more concerned with your ageing KPPs. Riewoldt and Sam Fisher have 2-3 years left and you need guys to replace them when they will retire.

Freos 2008 Squad was Much, much worse than the saints. Freo had to get rid of many old guys: Peter Bell, Shaun McManus, Mark Johnson, Matt Carr, Josh Carr, Jeff Farmer and had to trade Rob Warnock in 2008 alone. Freo had to go 2 years of culling to get somewhere.

The biggest Positive is that the Saints can take advantage of the Free agency rules. Saints can lure some experienced players on 2-3 year deals while the kids develop.

Note the use of the word 'probably'. It's a hopeful assessment, and 4 years is a long time to turn things around in footy, there are countless examples of that.

I don't mind how we've gone about things this year, 6 debutants so far with other sub 50 gamers getting valuable match experience. We can't overload the side with youth as they need to learn from playing alongside our older guys.

And we absolutely need to address the KPP hole. Strong forwards have it too easy against our backline as it is now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you blame lack of list management as well? Will you blame the umpires if your mob lose to freo this weekend?

I'd tather not argue with primary school kids.

Go see Despicable Me 2 and leave us adults in peace.

Firstly can you prove your claims?

Secondly even if can prove your claims.it doesn't make St Kilda's treatment by the umpires the last few years any better.

Firstly, from the same website you linked to.

Secondly, it does put your claim of ridicule into perspective. In fact many of your brethren ignored those figures at the time, and came up with excuses as to why.

is it on?

It's been threatening for a long time, but with an unbalanced list that has seemingly all the quality at the wrong end of their careers, is this the start of a long walk in the wilderness for the Saints?

Obviously they are missing Goddard badly. But that's not the only problem. Their list is universally acknowledged as being out of kilter - the administrations actions themselves demonstrate this. Yes, there is some quality coming through the ranks. But is it enough? Sadly, I don't think it is.

You can't take too much away from one game, but when you see the way the Dogs put in today, and the way the Saints have performed, I for one think I may have got them the wrong way around on my ladder.

A long period of being up without ultimate success. Where to here from the Saints?
Good Lord, A Lance Uppercut thread without being "Where Are Richmond At", Apologies if it's been brought up but the Saints window is now shut IMHO, they have gotten closer to the holy grail than the Tiges but have fallen agonisilingly close. As my old mans team I wish them all the best but not at the expense of Richmond

Apparently it's all Ross Lyons fault. He couldn't coach the team, develop the players, recruit, trade, attract members, get sponsors and to top it off he made them move. Yep, no one else at St Kilda made any decisions, at any time, the whole time Ross Lyon was at St Kilda. It's all Ross' fault.

What is it with Freo supporters? Are they all cynical, slimy, smart arses, or just the ones that come on to Big Footy? Contrast this to Richmond supporters before and after this match, who want to talk football.

Deserves a bump. St Kilda seem to be in the no man's land of trying to play their best list while rebuilding at the same time. I watched them closely and while they have some good youngsters, guys like Kosi still get a game which is worrying.

Kosi has long since been up to a game. But due to injuries and a desire by club and supporters to have Kosi get the last three games, he has played. He has been and continues to be a great clubman. He is on 199, so one game to go.

As a Richmond supporter, you give any credence to his views at all? Amazing.

I'm still amazed that Watters is getting a pass.

The bloke clearly wasn't ready to be a senior coach. In fact I would go as far to say he's as out of his depth as Watson was when he took over. His bemoaning of the list after every insipid performance tells me he has no idea. He certainly learned one thing from Malthouse - the art of deflection.

Simple question to those giving him a pass due to recruiting: Where do you think the club would be sitting today if Lyon was still coach?

I'm not suggesting we'd be top 4 but I can guarantee we wouldn't be playing the insipid style of football we're now seeing most weeks.

I'm still amazed that Watters is getting a pass.

The bloke clearly wasn't ready to be a senior coach. In fact I would go as far to say he's as out of his depth as Watson was when he took over. His bemoaning of the list after every insipid performance tells me he has no idea. He certainly learned one thing from Malthouse - the art of deflection.

Simple question to those giving him a pass due to recruiting: Where do you think the club would be sitting today if Lyon was still coach?

I'm not suggesting we'd be top 4 but I can guarantee we wouldn't be playing the insipid style of football we're now seeing most weeks.

Your fall would only be slower under Lyon.

They truly have a horrible list.

2 years time Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Hayes, Fisher Jones will be all retired or close to.

They literally have no exciting kid currently playing well at AFL level bar Jack Steven. Need to spend a couple of years in the bottom 3 to draft some future superstars.

Ross Lyon left the Saints on the precipice and while the team went over the cliff he went to Perth!
The Saints demise can be traced back to his time there and while Geelong and Hawthorn have maintained their recruiting and replaced ageing stars the Saints relied too heavily on it's A listers who have not received the support required from a new influx of players. The transition has not run smoothly at all, this is largely due to Lyon's reluctance to play youth.

The Saints are up the creek without a paddle, they had a weak last 6 even in 2009, what was going on at the recruiting and development level down there? Watters will get the blame and eventually the chop, that's what football clubs do, but the Saints joyless season in 2013 began after the 2010 Grand Final!

Freo fans had better brace themselves as their ageing stars McPharlin and Pavlich turn 32 this year and Sandilands turns 31, both the big Pav and Sandy are not coming back bigger and better than ever and all 3 are not the future of the Dockers, so i hope fans have an eye on who professor 'genius' has coming through the ranks to replace these chaps full time maybe as early as next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back