FTA-TV Survivor Season 39: Island of the Idols

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a good edit this week. But I hope that's all it was - an edit. Cos otherwise it's mind-numbingly stupid of Aaron to string people along to not vote with them. There's no benefit to it.

Yes the editing always plays some tricks, but it seems this time he actually strung them along right until the vote. He asked “are we good” right before the votes were read out, so looks like the others thought he was on board to vote out Elaine all along.

So many times I thought things were starting to head south in this episode, and then suddenly there was always a really surprising and satisfying pay-off. Jamal the obvious example, I liked how he ended up putting so much stock in an apology. Nevertheless he remains too self-absorbed to be any good at Survivor, even small stuff like the way a person collects tribal immunity can be revealing.

Aaron still hasn't gotten over the Ronnie blindside, perhaps understandably and wisely so, but he took the wrong lesson from it. Instead of trying to think 3 votes ahead, that guy shouldn't be trying to think at all (not this early in the game). His deceptive actions can be put down to a paranoid player running scared--probably talked himself into believing somebody on the other side was a chance to play an idol if he didn't string them along.

Think old mate having to apologise for his “white privilege” was a bit over the top.
I thought Jack apologised for making a dumb comment, by choice rather than having to. But your interpretation of what happened illustrates why Jamal took a huge risk in broaching the subject at all. You just never know how people will react to this stuff. Could've easily ended in Jack thinking "I guess Jamal hates me now, so I'm gonna have to vote him out".

A random example from complete obscurity: Yul Kwon, if he was made to feel uncomfortable on the island by somebody telling racially insensitive jokes, would rather embrace his position of discomfort than to project it on to somebody else and potentially jeopardise a working relationship. Most people don't have such a level of ice in their veins, but I think that's what it usually takes to be the Sole Survivor.

And btw I'm pretty sure Jamal went out there to win a million dollars first and foremost, which is why I'm viewing it all through the relatively trivial game-oriented lens.

RIP Rudy. Quite amazing he played Survivor at the age of 72 then again at 75

The way Jeff sent him off in All-Stars always struck a chord with me, probably even more powerful now.

How could you not love Rudy. 91-year-old former Navy SEAL, hanging with kids a quarter of his age, a hero in anybody's book. I know I didn't want him to go, and yet eventually everybody has to. Which is exactly what makes life what it is... complicated.

Geez Karishma is giving me the irrits. She is just so bad at everything Survivor, why is she still there!

Mind you had to laugh the 2nd last episode at the food reward challenge where she was all “oh, we’re definitely going to have to win this one” and then gave her best impersonation of a dead weight while Nora did her best not to suffer a ruptured aneurysm dragging her around. Then the same episode during the immunity challenge while lagging behind the rest of the field like the last place runner of the Melbourne Cup, Jeff said what everyone was thinking “Karishma struggling here”, to which she replied “no I’m not” though no one believed her.

The look of Jason and co’s faces when Elaine brought out the vote blocker was priceless. Went from smug to stone faced as fear set in, and then the whining began. Credit to Aaron for playing them along the whole time making them believe he would flip. Don’t necessarily see it as a bad thing, he’s proved his trust to his current alliance and can work on that.

boohoo someone got voted out
everyone seems to be whinging this episode
more for anti-Jamal
shut up Noura
Oh. That’s who Janet is.
So similar to Luke’s adnvantage, but has to be used on themselves, instead of anyone.
I seriously don’t know whom they are talking about half the time.
Yay, a challenge in the rain. Don’t see this often enough. Now its sunny, wtf.
Karisma did something. Wow.
Jamal just could get that piece in.
Good play by Kellee if this idea doesnt fall back on her. Also, can’t be outed before FTC. Needs to also vote with majority tonight. Better to go for Jack over Jamal, because not everyone gets along with Jamal, and can be persuaded to vote him out later.
No one wants to make eye contact with you Noura because your annoying.
Kellee makes a good point on gender alliances in Survivor. A guys alliance doesn’t get the best response compared to a girls alliance.
#metoo . * off. Don’t jump on the bandwagon.
Time to vote. Lets see what happens.
boom!!!
And then Jamal plays his, wait for Noura. Shoulda chosen Jamal.
Kellee played that well.
And Jack is first to the jury.
Nice tribute to Rudy. RIP.
Merge next episode. Looks like Karismas going to go deep. Plus 2 tribals next week.

boohoo someone got voted out
everyone seems to be whinging this episode
more for anti-Jamal
shut up Noura
Oh. That’s who Janet is.
So similar to Luke’s adnvantage, but has to be used on themselves, instead of anyone.
I seriously don’t know whom they are talking about half the time.
Yay, a challenge in the rain. Don’t see this often enough. Now its sunny, wtf.
Karisma did something. Wow.
Jamal just could get that piece in.
Good play by Kellee if this idea doesnt fall back on her. Also, can’t be outed before FTC. Needs to also vote with majority tonight. Better to go for Jack over Jamal, because not everyone gets along with Jamal, and can be persuaded to vote him out later.
No one wants to make eye contact with you Noura because your annoying.
Kellee makes a good point on gender alliances in Survivor. A guys alliance doesn’t get the best response compared to a girls alliance.
#metoo . fu** off. Don’t jump on the bandwagon.
Time to vote. Lets see what happens.
boom!!!
And then Jamal plays his, wait for Noura. Shoulda chosen Jamal.
Kellee played that well.
And Jack is first to the jury.
Nice tribute to Rudy. RIP.
Merge next episode. Looks like Karismas going to go deep. Plus 2 tribals next week.
Jamal playing the Idol for anyone but himself in that situation is one of the dumbest plays. Saving Noura was so not worth it.

I really loved the play from Kellee though. albeit from the little we saw, she didnt seem to have any super close Allies, and Dean might have been the deepest connection she made. You don't want to go to the Merge without any close Allies or big plays IMO.

Jamal playing the Idol for anyone but himself in that situation is one of the dumbest plays. Saving Noura was so not worth it.

I really loved the play from Kellee though. albeit from the little we saw, she didnt seem to have any super close Allies, and Dean might have been the deepest connection she made. You don't want to go to the Merge without any close Allies or big plays IMO.
it worked out in the end for Jamal. Giving Noura the idol brings in an Ally, plus a shield for the merge.

Kellee reactions during the TC were perfect. Didn’t give anything away.

And both Jamal and Dean played idol, neither of them have gone to IotI. Will someone think of where they came from, and realise that someone was working with Dean, and that Jamal found it on the beach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked that ep - I think Kellee is my favourite person on the show. She's super likeable, and that was a baller move.

The issue is that someone (Noura maybe) said straight away "why didn't he play it last time." I wonder if it becomes obvious where Dean got the idol from.

I knew watching it that I'd be in a minority, but I really liked the tribal as well. Firstly, it was different. Secondly, I've always thought the same thing about the suggestion of a women's alliance almost every season. We've had, what, two genuine women's alliances ever based on gender? It has to be seen as patronising that women will put all bonds and values and human connections aside and focus solely on gender. It's the kind of thing that small men think because they're afraid that women will work out that we've screwed them forever and they'll align to take over the world.

I don't think Kellee wins, cos she doesn't have enough close alliances, but she was good value tonight.

Wait. Noura voted Jack and Kellee voted Dean?

How did Kellee get that to happen? Or is Noura just doing her own thing??

Wait. Noura voted Jack and Kellee voted Dean?

How did Kellee get that to happen? Or is Noura just doing her own thing??
Kellee suggested that she'd have to get her to do that during the interview where she apparently thought of giving Dean the HII, as insurance in case Dean turned around and voted for her

Obviously didn't show it because it would have ruined any surprise

Noura voting Jack is going to have some fallout. Will be interested to see how Kelly navigates her way through from here without this coming back to bite her. Presumably she’d have to stay close to Dean to prevent him from spilling the beans.

Also I found it odd that they edited out the usual Jeff line at the challenge “Lairo getting your first look at the new Vokai tribe.....” That usually sparks a reaction.

I knew watching it that I'd be in a minority, but I really liked the tribal as well. Firstly, it was different. Secondly, I've always thought the same thing about the suggestion of a women's alliance almost every season. We've had, what, two genuine women's alliances ever based on gender? It has to be seen as patronising that women will put all bonds and values and human connections aside and focus solely on gender. It's the kind of thing that small men think because they're afraid that women will work out that we've screwed them forever and they'll align to take over the world.
I get that, but just because it's only worked twice doesn't mean it doesn't get mentioned by female players or even happen at some point. There was a women's alliance in this very season, and one of the people sitting at that TC was part of it.

Male contestants would be foolish to not consider the possibility of a women's alliance, just as it would be foolish to not consider that other people with similarities might ally

I get that, but just because it's only worked twice doesn't mean it doesn't get mentioned by female players or even happen at some point. There was a women's alliance in this very season, and one of the people sitting at that TC was part of it.

Male contestants would be foolish to not consider the possibility of a women's alliance, just as it would be foolish to not consider that other people with similarities might ally

It's confirmation bias. In the same way as a M/F Couple gets split up immediately after Rob/Amber in ALL stars, both men and women are paranoid about an All Women's Alliance after Micronesia.

I think Kellee's point is valid, but it's undercut by the fact that this group does actually seem like they want to build a Womens alliance.

Noura voting Jack is going to have some fallout. Will be interested to see how Kelly navigates her way through from here without this coming back to bite her. Presumably she’d have to stay close to Dean to prevent him from spilling the beans.

Also I found it odd that they edited out the usual Jeff line at the challenge “Lairo getting your first look at the new Vokai tribe.....” That usually sparks a reaction.

I wondered that too, but figured they probably had a reward challenge that didn't make the edit.

Once again, everything Jamal does is wrong. It's uncanny. Just because there's merit in suspecting a women's alliance, doesn't mean you oughtta blurt it out at tribal council. Twist that knife later by suggesting it on the down-low to somebody like Aaron.

Janet and co. reacted perfectly: deny and deflect. After all, as a dangerously insane human being repeatedly said on his own female-dominated season, the game is afoot.

US Survivor used to have more good looking people, this is like Island of the Uglies.
I'm not saying Les Moonves is definitely guilty of certain accusations leveled at him, but it's interesting how Survivor casting took a u-turn after he left CBS.

As an aside, if you squint just a little bit, IoI Special Guest Stars Parvati and Adam Gentry look a lot like Eliza Dushku and Michael Weatherly.

I wondered that too, but figured they probably had a reward challenge that didn't make the edit.

I’m guessing with how much time was devoted to that tribal council, there was a fair bit squeezed out of the edit. Anyway, was just an observation as Jason and co have plenty of friends on the other tribe so was curious to see their reaction with him voted out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back