Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

How bad is it? Which part of his leg? Sorry if this old news
don't know, there are a lot of rumors floating around about what kind of break it was

So sorry for him , nasty thing to happen to anyone but especially when it (at least to some degree) ruins all you’ve worked your life to achieve, I hope he can get back on track soon.

Last edited:

Well thats a bit of bad luck. We won't have much of an impact without him. As much as it's an opportunity for others to step up, no one can cover him.

Easier fixture now for 2020, return of Tom, decent draft pick and snag Cogs will see us bolt back up.

If we don't give Grigg a contract we dead seat have rocks in our heads, you watch some of his state league games and he is Tom Mitchell level in the SANFL, we have to be giving him the spot, he walks into our 22 one would think, if not he would be very close.

Might not be a bad idea to have a Mitchell type anyway. That way the Dessie’s can be a replica of the firsts

FFS. Just saw this news.

Well, there goes the 2019 season.

What s**t news.

Its horrible and it sucks and literally the worst thing that could have happened to our club, BUT let me provide you with one example.....

2001 New England Patriots.... nine-year starting QB Drew Bledsoe gets injured via sheared blood vessel in his chest, which almost resulted in his death / Dick Rehbein QB coach for Patriots dies.... Up steps the back up option 6th round draft pick and the relatively unknown Mr Tom Brady.... they win the championship that season and the rest is history.

My point is; out of tragedy comes opportunity..... We may look back on this season and say that was the birth of "insert hawthorn superstar".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t believe it. F*** this is terrible. He is easily the most important player on the list right now that’s close to irreplaceable. The worst part is Mitchell is only 25 and about to entire the prime of his career and was only going to get better. :(

The coaching staff now have 2 months to prepare what the starting midfield might look like come Round 1.

It could mean more midfield minutes for Wingard, or maybe someone like Minchington might be a sneaky chance to push for a spot in the team.

Cousins should be next in line and hopefully he is the one who forces his way into the best 22 this year.

Heck... one more example.....

If I told you West Coast were going to win the flag without Nic Nat and Gaff you would have laughed in my face...

We are Hawthorn FC not Tom Mitchell FC.... 22 men make a team.

Doc confirms tip/fib breaks. But both clean as. No other complications at this stage.

As long as it's super clean, and not compound, or impacted, best case scenario for a horror injury.

Damn, this really puts a dampener on season 2019. Not a great start to the year.

But who knows how it ends up. It's easy to ponder impending doom on the field, but if we can find a player that goes at 70 per cent his output, and get a lift from everyone else in the midfield, things can still work.

We'd be better with him, but you never know. Football can be a funny game sometimes.

Unbelievable that this could happen to a star of the competition. It's a real shame for footy in general that we won't see Tom or Sam Docherty for this entire year.

One thing that may have been mentioned (haven't been through the thread, apologies), is that there is now the opportunity for teams to recruit recently delisted or state league players once someone is seriously injured over the pre season. Don't have all the details, but apparently we have until March to bring somebody new in if we please. I'd assume since we don't have a like for like replacement for Titch (aside from Worps, but he is too young), we would look for another inside mid. I wonder if Michael Barlow would be interested...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back