Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Rance?

Yes, he played the Lonergan role vs Hawthorn perfectly (intercept the hoofs into the forward line - when will Clarko learn ffs), but really, I'd have their wingmen in the votes over Rance.

Cotchin was BOG, Mitchell 2, Houli 1.

Houli was awful what were you watching, I loved him getting the ball because it was about the only time they turned it over.

Hype is a huge part of Brownlow voting is hype his name came up very early in the season so there's a big chance 50/50 voting will fall his way.
Umpires also have access to stats sheet before voting I believe. That (his amazing stats) plus the hype, plus going close last year (now being recognised) should see him poll very well this year.

The scary thing is he seems to have all the time in the world.

The special thing about Tom Mitchell has is that he is so quick getting ball to foot, and doing something with it.
He can get the ball away as opponents are trying to close him down.

Plus his ability to always be at the fall of the ball.

The biggest improvement is metres gained, last year it was his greatest criticism, would predominantly go backwards
in a effort to set up play. Big tick to the kid for that.

Another thing that is evident is his gut running has improved, there was a play on Sunday
where he handballed to Smith and then 15 metres up the ground got it back from Smith.
Pretty fair effort in my book.

The biggest improvement is metres gained, last year it was his greatest criticism, would predominantly go backwards
in a effort to set up play. Big tick to the kid for that.

Another thing that is evident is his gut running has improved, there was a play on Sunday
where he handballed to Smith and then 15 metres up the ground got it back from Smith.
Pretty fair effort in my book.
From memory his fitness at the start of last year was impacted by a hip complaint from 2016
You could see how much better he was running in the second half of last year, it's no accident that our win loss ratio improved with his ability to impact for four quarters

He's taken his fitness to another level this year and he's entering his prime years, reckon he is still trending up

His kicking has improved too. Wasn't too impressed last year being my first year of watching him closely, but definitely seems more reliable this year especially kicking for goal.

The thing which stood out for me recently was the set shot in the 2nd QTR vs Geelong from just inside 50 on an angle. I thought it was very much a 50/50, he absolutely nailed it like it was never in doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be getting more disposals in the forward half.

Also seems to have much more time when he has the ball, instead of having to quickly get rid of it.

Guess that's due to being in a better side and spending 1 year gelling with the midfield group

Was last weeks' game the first time in Mitchell's career that he was heavily tagged?

24 disposals and 12 clearances...did pretty well. Would have been a good experience for him.
AFL Footy app has him at 24 disposals, 14 clearances, with 5 Inside 50s.

Great going, for a guy being tagged; however, I think there was more to it than that. Like his namesake in the 2013 GF, Mitchell sacrificed part of his game to free up his mates & take His opponent away from the ball.

Many on here have alluded to & chuckled at the fact that Jones - perhaps their best or most consistent hard ball getting mid - only had 20 possies on the day. Effectively, Mitchell absolutely torched him at the stoppages, then dragged him away from the contest, freeing it up for Shiels & JO’M to run riot.

A selfish player (see: Holy Trinity) may have stayed at the contest, still got his 30+, but hampered the team game. Not Mitchell - of any recent Hawthorn team.

Absolute star & brilliant team player in 1.

Great article.

Huge if he's only on $600-$700k
all reports before trade period was that it was a $2.75m over 5 year deal (550k per year).

Was offered only 280k per year over 5 years at the Swans initially during the bye, and only 180k per year at the end of the season. No wonder he walked.

all reports before trade period was that it was a $2.75m over 5 year deal (550k per year).

Was offered only 280k per year over 5 years at the Swans initially during the bye, and only 180k per year at the end of the season. No wonder he walked.
That's incredible

Source please? I would love to post this on our board if true, it will quieten a few people

Remove this Banner Ad

Back