VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Pardon my ignorance but are there any long term Board members still on the Board?

If so, they should be thanked for their service & then make a dignified exit - need to give the new President and other relatively newly appointed Board members clear air - that’s the only way to get unity, make change & move forward constructively
Pardon my ignorance but are there any long term Board members still on the Board?

If so, they should be thanked for their service & then make a dignified exit - need to give the new President and other relatively newly appointed Board members clear air - that’s the only way to get unity, make change & move forward constructively
Longest serving would be Mr Amad who will be auto removed at the end of 2024 due to the new constitution which says you can only serve 3 terms in a row or 9 years in a row something like that. If you are correct and Dunell gone will the new board offer him an appointment as second prize? This IMO would be a massive backward step in light of the released emails. Who got the 2 year board position?

I've heard Newton (President), Nicole Hall, Vicky Durston and Martin Kelliher were elected.

Not sure on who got the 2 year stint vs 3 year stint.

Amad goes next year and hopefully Habel with him.

Adults are back in charge now.

I think they'll bring in a Finance person to be treasurer to replace Ewart

I've heard Newton (President), Nicole Hall, Vicky Durston and Martin Kelliher were elected.

2 former club presidents there in Newton and Kelliher

From the VAFA website this afternoon.

The VAFA wishes to advise that following the 2023 Annual General Meeting AGM held on Tuesday 12 December 2023, Paul Newton was elected by the Board as the Association’s new President.

Newton’s appointment follows the completion of outgoing President’s George Voyage’s full term as a Board member under the new VAFA constitution.

Paul Newton commented “I am honoured to be elected by the Board as President of the VAFA. I appreciate the trust that the members instilled in me to obtain a Board position which enabled me to nominate for President, and further grateful for my fellow directors for voting me as their President.

“It has clearly been a challenging time for the Board recently and our immediate priority is to re-establish the trust and respect of our Clubs and members.

“I’m excited to work with our CEO Jason Reddick and his wonderful management team to see our football competition continue to grow in 2024 and work with all clubs to ensure their success.

“I wish to acknowledge all the immediate past Board members for their commitment and energy and in particular George Voyage for his 16 years as a VAFA Director including the last 5 years as President.

“In closing I wish all our VAFA community a merry and safe festive season with your families.”

The following Board members were returned at the AGM: Paul Newton, Vicki Durston and Nicole Hall (three-year terms), whilst Martin Kelliher was newly elected to the Board (two-year term).

The VAFA would like to take the opportunity to thank outgoing Board members Frank Dunell (Vice President) and Ben Verney (Treasurer) who were unsuccessful in re-election, whilst also acknowledging Molina Asthana and Tony Boyce for nominating for the Board, both of whom were also unsuccessful on the night.

At the conclusion of the VAFA AGM, a Special General Meeting (SGM) was held to consider a member’s motion to remove Alistair Ewart as a Board member of the VAFA. The members voted in favour of the motion. The VAFA Board would like to recognise Alastair Ewart for his service to the Board across his two-year tenure.

The VAFA Board for 2024:

Paul Newton (President)
Anthony Amad
Ivan Delac
Sarah Delbosc
Vicki Durston
Tim Habel
Nicole Hall
Martin Kelliher
There is currently one casual vacancy, and two appointed positions yet to be filled.

8 people went for the 3 yr which Newton, Durston & Kelliher got in.

Only 7 nominated for the 2 year which Hall got in.

Dunell didn't nominate for the 2 year, Many say he believed he was a certainty to be the 1st voted on & president

8 people went for the 3 yr which Newton, Durston & Kelliher got in.

Only 7 nominated for the 2 year which Hall got in.

Dunell didn't nominate for the 2 year, Many say he believed he was a certainty to be the 1st voted on & president
Can someone if they have time put the experience of all of the board . Maybe one for the media team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One would think that after the absolute hammering the Tim Habel regime took at last week’s Annual General Meeting, the noise would dissipate. But unsurprisingly, the posts continue on here. Relieving to see the back of Ewart, comprehensively voted out, and none of Habel’s crew voted on. Fair to say he’s looking shaky and word is his Presidency pitch was extremely underwhelming. Did he secretly record it? 12 months remaining and then it’s bye bye. My prayers have been answered! Onwards and upwards for our great Association.

One would think that after the absolute hammering the Tim Habel regime took at last week’s Annual General Meeting, the noise would dissipate. But unsurprisingly, the posts continue on here. Relieving to see the back of Ewart, comprehensively voted out, and none of Habel’s crew voted on. Fair to say he’s looking shaky and word is his Presidency pitch was extremely underwhelming. Did he secretly record it? 12 months remaining and then it’s bye bye. My prayers have been answered! Onwards and upwards for our great Association.
With a name like yours you could have got on the board! Seriously got some hate for Habel? From clubland he brought in the overdue new affiliation fee model that was approved by clubs. This user pay for umpires is as fair as it can be I think. Clearly you get the board leaks from the Amad/Dunell camp and they are also in tatters. Part of the challenge for Issac is to stop the leaks and put appointments in with some diversity. Rumour has it two elderly lobbyists will get their reward by being asked to sit on Issac's left and right. A grade clubs so no diversity and easy to see through.

Just by the way elections are just that. Appointments are not to fill up spots with bum chums. If they have a brain the lawyer should offered a spot to potentially stop the $$$ drain.

Also clever of the clubs to vote in a 10% affiliation fee increase cunningly disguised by J R Ewing! Just imagine the treasurer's face in the upper echelons of Premier >>>>>>>> We got the people on the board and also an affiliation fee increase? As one poster said recently >>>> Clubs aren't stupid -------- No not at all.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Geez i'd hate to get your opinion on Habel if he was the one that cost the clubs $84k,

Think your on your own here with your personal attack on him

Habel and co (which included Dunnell & Ewart) pitched a big game on stability and responsible change at the last election. They treated Matthews and others with disdain and a lack of class. Habel's comments during the online AGM were particularly poor (at best a serious lack of EQ).

They delivered very little and Dunnell & Ewart have been held to account by the clubs.

Habel has another 12 months on the board to turn opinions around. If he does he'll be fine, if he doesn't he'll go.

All this A/B clubs vs Division Clubs is absolute rubbish. It suits some parties to create a divide (populist rubbish) for their own interests. The clubs didn't look divided when they voted.

I have no issue with Premier clubs paying more. For the record most A Grade clubs (who didn't play finals) were forking out an extra $15k this year. Did D4 clubs get to pay $15k less?

The principle was sound but the roll out was pathetic in detail and a nightmare to work out. Thanks Tim!

Yes they did, saved more than $15k from the year before.

Habel and co (which included Dunnell & Ewart) pitched a big game on stability and responsible change at the last election. They treated Matthews and others with disdain and a lack of class. Habel's comments during the online AGM were particularly poor (at best a serious lack of EQ).

They delivered very little and Dunnell & Ewart have been held to account by the clubs.

Habel has another 12 months on the board to turn opinions around. If he does he'll be fine, if he doesn't he'll go.

All this A/B clubs vs Division Clubs is absolute rubbish. It suits some parties to create a divide (populist rubbish) for their own interests. The clubs didn't look divided when they voted.

An insider is spreading the word that one VP is livid that he’s not the head honcho ,might be another one gonski .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's interesting because Tim's published model had the savings much lower for D4 clubs.
Gee Buddy, Affiliation fees didn't even add up to $15k in 2022 for D 4. You have to look at it in 2 parts. The affiliation fee + umpire fees which are being renegotiated now. D4 were lucky to get two fields so of course they were winners under the user pay model. Are you suggesting a change of some description? If not just remember clubs aren't stupid?

Seeing you were there given your post saying the clubs weren't divided when they voted why did you vote for a 10% affiliation fee rise?

Let’s all get one thing correct it’s user pay not a grade pay & d4 don’t. Last I checked OX have 10+ sides. Should they have to fork out extra when 7 of those sides only get 1 ump or none? Yes their seniors should have to pay for 7 umpires but their u/19 4ths or under 23 8ths that get 1 fat bloke who refuses to leave the centre square should they be forking out for that?

The vafa doesn’t stop a to d4

Let’s all get one thing correct it’s user pay not a grade pay & d4 don’t. Last I checked OX have 10+ sides. Should they have to fork out extra when 7 of those sides only get 1 ump or none? Yes their seniors should have to pay for 7 umpires but their u/19 4ths or under 23 8ths that get 1 fat bloke who refuses to leave the centre square should they be forking out for that?

The vafa doesn’t stop a to d4
I think you will find that the 1 fat bloke is becoming more and more common across all grades. Some of the lower grade senior umpires looked well and truely past their used by dates.

The club appointed 2's umpires often did a better job (those that didn't blatantly cheat).

I think you will find that the 1 fat bloke is becoming more and more common across all grades. Some of the lower grade senior umpires looked well and truely past their used by dates.

The club appointed 2's umpires often did a better job (those that didn't blatantly cheat).

Yeah I agree that we have a massive shortage of umpires & growth of women's footy has only made it even harder, But I am talking about the user pays system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back