VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Just interested to see so many investigations incomplete from the 2023 season, could it be that the lawyers are getting involved, surely HQ would’ve liked to have all those pending and ongoing off the books
They would all be complete. Just pure laziness not to fill in on website. New Board is all for transparency >>> just need the admin to lift their game.

I am disappointed to hear a 10% increase in affiliation fees.

I went down to the Collegians AGM about 6 weeks ago now to hear the treasurer outline that affiliation fees had risen from around $33,000 in 2022 to $46,000 in 2023. If it is true that affiliation fees are going up another 10%, that will be very tough going for all premier clubs, including the ones everyone thinks are well off.

Sadly, year on year, it is getting more and more costly to put a side out on the park, at a variety of levels.

I went down to the Collegians AGM about 6 weeks ago now to hear the treasurer outline that affiliation fees had risen from around $33,000 in 2022 to $46,000 in 2023. If it is true that affiliation fees are going up another 10%, that will be very tough going for all premier clubs, including the ones everyone thinks are well off.

Sadly, year on year, it is getting more and more costly to put a side out on the park, at a variety of levels.
User pays.

You will get on average

3 Field
2-3 Boundary
2 Goalies

in Prem C we get

2 Field
No Boundaries
Lucky to get Goalies

Reserves

We provide all

Under 19’s

Occasionally fieldies.

Women’s

Don’t have them and you did, so additional costs there.

Given we had three teams in finals our annual VAFA was close to $30,000.

Agree Mike. Another thing that makes things tough is the mandated $11 per player registration. Especially when teams need to get fill ins during the middle of seasons. Other competitions have removed this annual player fee. It would make more sense to absorb this cost within the larger affiliation fee ? Maybe the increased affiliation fees is one if the reasons why some clubs have left the VAFA.

Clubs voted it in so WTF. The 10% wasn't announced till the night as far as I'm told. Don't complain just ask why your member voted in favour?

User pays.

You will get on average

3 Field
2-3 Boundary
2 Goalies

in Prem C we get

2 Field
No Boundaries
Lucky to get Goalies

Reserves

We provide all

Under 19’s

Occasionally fieldies.

Women’s

Don’t have them and you did, so additional costs there.

Given we had three teams in finals our annual VAFA was close to $30,000.
Agree that having both our male and female sides in premier helps that we get a full allotment of umpires week in and week out, but we still have to pay for this as a club, and I'd say that unless new sponsors are brought in that it is likely that players will end up wearing the cost of this.

The cost of playing footy as I keep saying is becoming more and more expensive, especially in a time where the cost of living is clamping down on many people, young and old, plus the fact there are clubs throwing silly money at players too.

Agree that having both our male and female sides in premier helps that we get a full allotment of umpires week in and week out, but we still have to pay for this as a club, and I'd say that unless new sponsors are brought in that it is likely that players will end up wearing the cost of this.

The cost of playing footy as I keep saying is becoming more and more expensive, especially in a time where the cost of living is clamping down on many people, young and old, plus the fact there are clubs throwing silly money at players too.

Great point on the costs being passed down to the players. What is the tipping point of yearly subs for players walking away from the game.

All clubs are different and what a player gets for their subs can change, $300, $400, $500 for a season of footy??

This is my first BigFooty post, I am not a Big Footy follower nor interested in the subject matter often posted here but as the new President of the VAFA (Paul Newton) I feel compelled to respond to the numerous offensive, ill informed and nasty posts that have been allowed to be published on this forum. There have been numerous ignorant and totally unwarranted and damaging posts put up by certain faceless keyboard warriors in recent months. You have little or no factual knowledge of what you are often promoting, the end result in targeting the association, its Board and the integrity of our great competition is damaging beyond your comprehension. I demand those of you that have named individuals cease from such harmful inflammatory actions. As the Association's new President I am committed to drive change for the better of the clubs, members and our stakeholders. This will take time but I demand those of you that are here and posting think seriously about what you are saying. I will be available to any of you to speak with, answer your questions and provide factual content. I urge you to get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me. Lets all work together to ensure 2024 sees the VAFA return as a respected caring community.

Last edited:
This is my first BigFooty post, I am not a Big Footy follower nor interested in the subject matter often posted here but as the new President of the VAFA (Paul Newton) I fell compelled to respond to the numerous offensive, ill informed and nasty posts that have been allowed to be published on this forum. There have been numerous ignorant and totally unwarranted and damaging post put up by faceless keyboard warriors in recent months. You have little or no factual knowledge of what you are often promoting, the end result in targeting the association, its Board and the integrity of our great competition is damaging beyond your comprehension. I demand those of you that have named individuals cease form such harmful action. As the Associations new President I WILL drive change for the better of the clubs, members and our stakeholders. This will take time but I demand those of you that are here and posting think seriously about what you are saying. I will be available to any of you to speak with, get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me. Lets all work together to ensure 2024 sees the VAFA return as a respected caring community.
Great post Paul, and welcome to the Big Footy forum.

I for one aren’t interested in the political goings on at board level, but it seems that the Association needs to remember who its most important stakeholders are, and that’s not just the clubs, but the boys and girls, men and women who pull on the boots each and every week.

You could start by rolling back the ridiculous amount of money that the VAFA charges those people to play football, it’s a disgrace and against everything that the VAFA stands for.

The only ones who get paid in the competition are the people at head office, how about they roll their sleeves up and generate revenue from other sources?

Happy 2024, let’s make this one a great year for all concerned.

This is my first BigFooty post, I am not a Big Footy follower nor interested in the subject matter often posted here but as the new President of the VAFA (Paul Newton) I feel compelled to respond to the numerous offensive, ill informed and nasty posts that have been allowed to be published on this forum. iThere have been numerous ignorant and totally unwarranted and damaging posts put up by certain faceless keyboard warriors in recent months. You have little or no factual knowledge of what you are often promoting, the end result in targeting the association, its Board and the integrity of our great competition is damaging beyond your comprehension. I demand those of you that have named individuals cease rom such harmful inflammatory actions. As the Association's new President I am committed to drive change for the better of the clubs, members and our stakeholders. This will take time but I demand those of you that are here and posting think seriously about what you are saying. I will be available to any of you to speak with, answer your questions and provide factual content. I urge you to get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me. Lets all work together to ensure 2024 sees the VAFA return as a respected caring community.
Welcome Paul.

As a long time volunteer, can you somehow have all players seeking a clearance to the VAFA be allocated 6 points automatically. It will then be upto clubs to prove otherwise.

This will make it easy for clubs if they don’t have points problem, they will not need to stress during the week to get players points correct.

This is my first BigFooty post, I am not a Big Footy follower nor interested in the subject matter often posted here but as the new President of the VAFA (Paul Newton) I feel compelled to respond to the numerous offensive, ill informed and nasty posts that have been allowed to be published on this forum. iThere have been numerous ignorant and totally unwarranted and damaging posts put up by certain faceless keyboard warriors in recent months. You have little or no factual knowledge of what you are often promoting, the end result in targeting the association, its Board and the integrity of our great competition is damaging beyond your comprehension. I demand those of you that have named individuals cease rom such harmful inflammatory actions. As the Association's new President I am committed to drive change for the better of the clubs, members and our stakeholders. This will take time but I demand those of you that are here and posting think seriously about what you are saying. I will be available to any of you to speak with, answer your questions and provide factual content. I urge you to get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me. Lets all work together to ensure 2024 sees the VAFA return as a respected caring community.

Hi Paul,

I'm interested in whose idea it was [the admin or the board or both] to increase the affiliation fees for clubs in 2024? Can't believe the clubs allowed it? I agree with Plats that it costing players and clubs heaps [although compared to my son's soccer fees which are double most VAFA club memberships & at age 9 he is not bringing home a big paycheck]. The commercial VAFA staff have to extract the digit b/c it is the only way for them [Staff & Board] to make significant dollars. Please don't respond by saying it's tough after C19 etc because the clubs know it.

It is not working together to increase fees. Also I don't think you can DEMAND [see above] anything but you may ask? It smacks of self importance.

Looking forward to your answers here.

I assume that is you Paul, if so, as VAFA President I expect you to:

* lead a Board that thinks strategically, develops a plan, empowers management to implement the plan and reports progress regularly to all stakeholders. I also expect the Board to use VAFA’s social media and other channels to seek and provide feedback on key issues of concern.

If you are worried about the banter, gossip, half truths and mischief on Big Footy you are working in the tumbleweeds - a waste of your time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that you can report posts at any time for mods to assess and perhaps delete.

Very much this.

I'm wondering whether some responding to the Prez may not have read the room.

Perhaps his purpose was not only to air his frustration/annoyance but more importantly to suggest that the best interests of the VAFA would be for posters to contact him directly rather than pursuing their issues anonymously on a forum.

Think the clues were in the "....I am not a Big Footy follower..." and the "I will be available to any of you to speak with, answer your questions and provide factual content. I urge you to get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me." bits.

Agree with the poster who suggested the use of the word "demand" was not helpful.

Hear hear Barack! (This will give me away to you Newts) congratulations on the new gig and well said mate!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

vcKiOxR.jpg

I'm wondering whether some responding to the Prez may not have read the room.

Perhaps his purpose was not only to air his frustration/annoyance but more importantly to suggest that the best interests of the VAFA would be for posters to contact him directly rather than pursuing their issues anonymously on a forum.

Think the clues were in the "....I am not a Big Footy follower..." and the "I will be available to any of you to speak with, answer your questions and provide factual content. I urge you to get my details from the VAFA website and reach out to me." bits.

Agree with the poster who suggested the use of the word "demand" was not helpful.

I dont think he will respond to anything, he hasn't got off on the right foot with his "demands".

Looks like we have another vafa board member who has seemed to forget already that his job is to answer the clubs & members not the other way around.

Blokes like this are nowhere in the same class as Paul Amy , absolute dud
It looks a clear cut and paste job from each clubs Facebook page. I’d agree Paul would always ring the club to get more specifics to differentiate his article from the socials. The concerns are club nicknames are wrong we don’t have a redbacks in our comp. But we do have razorpigs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back