Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gossage just talked in circles making inane comments like below that dont even say anything.

What I’m saying is if you want to make the competition equal, forget about crowd sizes and membership numbers, and worry about equality of the competition.

What does he want to be equal?

The number of Friday night games?
How many games you get against a team who travels to play you?
How many games each team plays at Optus?

Why does he not want crowd or memberships have to be equal?

Another sook that WA teams travel further than any other team because they are on the other side of the fecking continent.

It is not the AFLs job to change Australian geography.

WC should relocate to a less isolated city (Sydney could handle another team) if they want to travel less.
Do you have any issues of gathering of the drunks every year aka AFL gather round?

Less to do with Vic bias, more to do with creating an even bigger story should they have suspended a coach.

it's all about the optics.
I don't know lightening seems to strike us Powell-Pepper, Finlayson 2/2 being made an example of.

Next customer comes along gets a smaller suspension. Baker worse hit 1 week. Pickett about the same 1 week.

Anyway from where we sit it looks like bias.

The AFL as they’re quick to suspend Finlayson for multiple weeks but have no issue leaving Clarko to do as he pleases.

Hard to ignore these double standards that non vic clubs always seem to be on the wrong other end of.

View attachment 1955453
I don't think this perplexing decision has anything to do with Vic bias. It's a bad decision and the AFL needs to explain why Finlayson got 3 weeks and Clarko a slap on the wrist.

Player with impeccable record calls out dreadful mistake he made - 3 weeks which he accepts.

Coach with a dubious record makes a dreadful mistake that could have caused a brawl - tax deduction.

One plays for an interstate Club, the other coaches a Vic Club.

L.Kane was involved in determining the penalties. I believe she should stand down from any decision regarding the NMFC.

Player with impeccable record calls out dreadful mistake he made - 3 weeks which he accepts.

Coach with a dubious record makes a dreadful mistake that could have caused a brawl - tax deduction.

One plays for an interstate Club, the other coaches a Vic Club.

L.Kane was involved in determining the penalties. I believe she should stand down from any decision regarding the NMFC.
Seems a bit out of whack Uncle Horace.

I think the equalisation measures of the AFL are as good as you could hope for.

We've certainly had a huge variety of teams competing in GFs the last two decades, ironically, way more than back in the VFL days when it was just 12 teams, which goes against the argument that adding more teams to the league makes it harder to win a premiership.

I mean, technically it's true, but if you didn't take your chances when the comp was smaller, then boo hoo.

3rd, maybe even a 4th team in WA, and a third in SA would help with equalisation even more, but I'm not saying they could all happen overnight.

Eventually, there'll likely be a 20th team and so 50% of the comps clubs will be non-Victorian.

The one thing I'd love to see change is the GF location.

I don't think Accor or the Gabba is up to scratch, but Adelaide Oval and Optus are worthy GF hosts IMO.

I know the Vic government won't budge, but gees I'd like to see a new GF contract; Melbourne get the GF every two years. Make it a 10 year contract, subject to renewal every decade.

25, 29, 33 hosted by Adelaide, 27, 29, 31, 35 hosted by Perth, Melbourne the rest. Perth get gather round when the GF is in Adelaide, Adelaide get it when GR is in Perth, Brisbane and Sydney alternate GR when the GF is in Melbourne.

Brisbane and Sydney could host some when they have appropriate stadiums.
Be a lot easier for qld politicians to have done the full Gabba rebuild knowing there is gf’s for grabs……

Do you have any issues of gathering of the drunks every year aka AFL gather round?
I think it is a bit of a novelty, that doesn't really serve much of a purpose except give a boost to SA.

Play all the games at the home ground of the 'nominal' home team and you get bigger crowds exposing more people to the game.

But more evidence of Vic Bias I assume.

I think a better option is to revert to a 22 game season and play the first 5 rounds as a Festival of Football including opening round gather round etc but play it like the games during Covid 5 games in 6 weeks and games on every night all at neutral venues inc Darwin & Alice Springs
After the first 5 rounds you then play a 17 game season home and away and you reverse the home team the next year.

No bias on home grounds any more after that. About as fair as a 22 round season could be.

I think a better option is to revert to a 22 game season and play the first 5 rounds as a Festival of Football including opening round gather round etc but play it like the games during Covid 5 games in 6 weeks and games on every night all at neutral venues inc Darwin & Alice Springs
After the first 5 rounds you then play a 17 game season home and away and you reverse the home team the next year.

No bias on home grounds any more after that. About as fair as a 22 round season could be.

With Tasmania, though, it would be the first 5 rounds plus an 18 game season.

So you could have:

Week 1: NSW, ACT and QLD
Week 2: Tasmania
Week 3: Adelaide
Week 4: Top End
Week 5: Perth
Bye
18 game H/A season, reverse fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd support that. Although I saw the SA Premier on TV yesterday and he seems to think that he owns the idea of Gather Round.

An actually fair(ish) fixture!

The AFL as they’re quick to suspend Finlayson for multiple weeks but have no issue leaving Clarko to do as he pleases.

Hard to ignore these double standards that non vic clubs always seem to be on the wrong other end of.

View attachment 1955453

The idea this has something to do with one side being from outside of Victoria is insane.

It’s more Clarko getting away with it cos Clarko.

I've come to the dawning realisation of my own stupidity, in that the answer is staring me in the face.

It's not #VICBIAS (it was when the original expansion happened, but that's embedded now and not changing)

It's #moneybias.

Wherever there is a AFL decision to be made, it's determined by either more money or more influence which will lead to more money down the track.

And I think Gather Round finally proves it. As does the ludicrous "nothing to see here" drugs policy. As does the "evolving to meet community standards and expectations" line (as in, what do the community expect in order for the AFL to extract the maximum $$).

Of course the most accessible football money is in Victoria, so the decisions are most in favour to them. Of course you'd support the Vic clubs rotation of success over last 15 years, it makes the most sense profitability wise.

Im the stupid one for thinking that this might actually still be just a profitable sporting competition, but it only is a competition as far as the money makes sense. Can bend (and have bent) any rule you want if you show the $$$$.

The idea this has something to do with one side being from outside of Victoria is insane.

It’s more Clarko getting away with it cos Clarko.
That could well be true but if you were us and had Powell-Pepper suspended for 4 games for a bump where a guy was tackled into him then saw Peter Wright get the same for an obvious bump/charge (taking him out) while airborne.

Then you see Finlayson get 3 games where somebody received a 2 weeks suspended plus fine for pretty much the same thing.

You just question the integrity of the whole thing.

Last edited:
I've come to the dawning realisation of my own stupidity, in that the answer is staring me in the face.

It's not #VICBIAS (it was when the original expansion happened, but that's embedded now and not changing)

It's #moneybias.

Wherever there is a AFL decision to be made, it's determined by either more money or more influence which will lead to more money down the track.

And I think Gather Round finally proves it. As does the ludicrous "nothing to see here" drugs policy. As does the "evolving to meet community standards and expectations" line (as in, what do the community expect in order for the AFL to extract the maximum $$).

Of course the most accessible football money is in Victoria, so the decisions are most in favour to them. Of course you'd support the Vic clubs rotation of success over last 15 years, it makes the most sense profitability wise.

Im the stupid one for thinking that this might actually still be just a profitable sporting competition, but it only is a competition as far as the money makes sense. Can bend (and have bent) any rule you want if you show the $$$$.
Sa and wa supporters need to not attend if they are not top 4.

I think it is a bit of a novelty, that doesn't really serve much of a purpose except give a boost to SA.

Play all the games at the home ground of the 'nominal' home team and you get bigger crowds exposing more people to the game.

But more evidence of Vic Bias I assume.
what about gather round in Victoria?

a couple of games at Victoria Park?

That could well be true but if you were us and had Powell-Pepper suspended for 4 games for a bump where a guy was tackled into him then saw Peter Wright get the same for an obvious bump/charge (taking him out) while airborne.

Then you see Finlayson get 3 games where somebody received a 2 weeks suspended plus fine for pretty much the same thing.

You just question the integrity of the whole thing.

You shouldn't have ever assumed it had integrity. Gather Round showed SA how it's done. Pay $$$, get advantages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back