Player Watch Welcome James Blanck. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was great, alot of his draft profile came to sea and you could see the work he's done at BH.

Strengths were listed as reading the play which he did multiple times, closing speed which was on show, his rebounding which i liked, his clean ability to get a good spoil i thought was pretty good bar the unlucky one with Rhylee West in the square.

His composure was great, he had good strength and got through tackles well and didn't look raw at all.

Should play alot of the rest of the year, huge tick!

After seeing him at preseason training earlier this year, I'd quietly been hoping we would draft him. He just looked like a bloke that has all of the tools required to be a an AFL standard KPD and just needed to be in an AFL environment to go to the next level. I reckon he is a long term player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Build that core strength and we have a starting KPD, basically for nothing, great outcome.

All the defenders desperately need some support from the middle now though.

Very good debut. Thrown straight in deep end against a very good forward and midfield getting smashed. Prob got beaten but didn’t look overawed. Moves well, seemed composed with ball and most of all hates losing. Given how attacking the rest of backline is (ex Hardwick) having a guy that can defend complements the group well.

Needs some more core strength but will come being in a professional environment.

I see a quality KPD partnership forming between Blanck and DGB in the future. Their strengths compliment each other very well.

A defensive unit made up of a core of Hardwick, Sicily, Scrimshaw, DGB, Blanck + guys CJ, Day, Impey and others rolling through is damn exciting.

I'm not ready to say they'll better our peak 2012 - 2015 defence like theiaofseed, but it's impossible not to get excited by the possibilities. It will be one of the best defences in league if Blanck and DGB really develop.

Started the game brilliantly and looked at home at this level. So def something to work with here for the future. Couldn’t have been a faster, more physical high pressure contest for a full back to debut in! Kept his composure beautifully all night even when caught out a couple of times.

Ok, job done now it’s time to look at replacing the next 3 in our best 22 that aren’t going to get any better.

Great debut in tough conditions. So composed, accurate kick, seems like a good decision maker, with the physical attributes you'd want in a KPD. So I guess while much of the game was horribly disappointing, this could well be a pretty big step forward in our rebuild. So pleased for him.

Funny thing is after a while I found myself more relaxed when he had the ball than when some of our more seasoned players did!

This was such a promising first game. Looked at home. Sam may have potentially solved what is a glaring weakness moving forward.

Looked composed and not rushed with ball in hand. While not primarily what he would be selected for as our KPD, this aspect of his game felt like a breath of fresh air after Chip and Hartigan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back