Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saw an article from August suggesting linkages with suburban leagues. Not too sure about that though.
Gee you would be in miffed if you were a skinny interstate rookie running off to play in suburbia on your own or with one or two other players for a whole season? Have been wondering how this would play out for a while.

Ned Ryerson

Future Captain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee you would be in miffed if you were a skinny interstate rookie running off to play in suburbia on your own or with one or two other players for a whole season? Have been wondering how this would play out for a while.
Yeah it would be awful. Plus suburban grounds would run the risk of not being at the level of the VFL ones (although they are not all pristine of course) and there may be the odd suburban hero who might try and snipe a few kids who are on an AFL list out of jealousy (extreme scenario of course). It's a poor show all round by the AFL/AFL Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MrPremiership

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apart from Lachie Langford and the Irish boys, we haven't had many listed players play regularly for the Dev Squad (JML, Jarred Hardisty) of late.

It's more a blow for the Box Hill listed blokes who will have fewer opportunities to play VFL. They are the ones more likely to head to the suburban level.

CoagVex

Senior List
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmm ok so a few then which is surprising.
I guess they're noe being thrown to the wolves, and if they make it will have served a tough apprenticeship which could actually hold them in better stead

Goldhawk

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Beaconsfield JFC Melbourne Storm
Maybe Hawthorn should have a team play in the EDFL ( Eastern District Football League ) at least that way they could keep all the players together. Food for thought for next season.

Last edited:

houdinihuddo

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I remember it was Lisle because he gave his premiership medal to one of the players that he replaced. Can't remember who it was though.
Tom Kickett who played most games during the season. A lovely gesture by Jordie who played a very good game. Current players to start in the development team include Bruest, Duryea, Heatherley and Langford. Menagola played in a premiership team.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Yeah it would be awful. Plus suburban grounds would run the risk of not being at the level of the VFL ones (although they are not all pristine of course) and there may be the odd suburban hero who might try and snipe a few kids who are on an AFL list out of jealousy (extreme scenario of course). It's a poor show all round by the AFL/AFL Victoria.
Agreed.

If I was the Clarko, I would call up my good mates Bevo and Bolts and a few others and get the VFL and AFL players not making the VFL teams together into two sides and have a game each week at Waverley.

Top Bottom