Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Fergus Greene

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we think happens with ML back? He's clearing getting more opportunity currently than he will when ML is back, but he'll also have a less talented defender on him. Excited to see how this plays out.

And I agree with the poster who made the comment about the connection w/ Brockman. Great to see them both set up each other up for easy goals today.

What do we think happens with ML back? He's clearing getting more opportunity currently than he will when ML is back, but he'll also have a less talented defender on him. Excited to see how this plays out.

And I agree with the poster who made the comment about the connection w/ Brockman. Great to see them both set up each other up for easy goals today.

I think he might struggle for the first few weeks with ML back in the side.
His position will change and reckon we'll tunnel vision Lewis, but after a few games he'll adapt to the new role and no doubt be a success.

Reckon he finishes the year with 40+ goals, and that would be a monumental achievement.

Was great to see that brocky paid him one back for the sensational over the head tap last week. Need to build that unselfish culture

I thought Brocky was giving him one back for the one earlier in todays game!

He constantly impresses me with the timing of his leap, always takes the ball at the absolute apex of his leap, and fully outstretched, sees him playing well above his height, especially given what looks like such a slight frame (the man has no arse!)

Absolute ripper guy though, always smiling, always got a joke, must be sensational around the club.

He constantly impresses me with the timing of his leap, always takes the ball at the absolute apex of his leap, and fully outstretched, sees him playing well above his height, especially given what looks like such a slight frame (the man has no arse!)

Absolute ripper guy though, always smiling, always got a joke, must be sensational around the club.
There was some really good spoils/hands in marking contests on the weekend that he had no right to get involved in against taller opponents. I'm impressed.

Box Hill fell to a fourth loss on the season on Saturday, going down to an in-form Footscray by 20 points.

Fergus Greene (3 goals, 10 disposals, 4 marks)

"Six shots on goal is a great return against his old mob, which is always nice. He faded out a little bit later in the game, as I've mentioned to kick 3.3, it could've been 4.2. But still it's a nice return from Ferg, he looked dangerous and took some good marks inside 50 and some one-on-one contest marks which was great."

TBH we didn't Fergus any favours in the first half of the year when we were making him play as our defacto key forward (all 187cm and 75kg of him!)

Now we actually have a couple of true key forwards in the team I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes as that clever, mid sized forward ala Gunston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH we didn't Fergus any favours in the first half of the year when we were making him play as our defacto key forward (all 187cm and 75kg of him!)

Now we actually have a couple of true key forwards in the team I wouldn't mind seeing how he goes as that clever, mid sized forward ala Gunston.
His lack of defensive pressure is a big problem for him. You've got to be very good to get away with that.

According to the Hawks
Media, an early interview with Greene with Sicily walking past.

The Captain asked Greene if he would come and do an extra training session with him.

Greene politely declined! I just feel as a mature age recruit desperate for a contract extension I’d be taking my Captain up on his offer.

Even if I could only complete half the session. As it shows I am doing my most to improve and earn a new contract.

I do wonder if his fitness, impacts his second and third efforts at all?

According to the Hawks

The Captain asked Greene if he would come and do an extra training session with him.

Greene politely declined! I just feel as a mature age recruit desperate for a contract extension I’d be taking my Captain up on his offer.

Even if I could only complete half the session. As it shows I am doing my most to improve and earn a new contract.

Its not fitness it is speed and agility. He just doesnt have it. He is plenty fit enough.

From various media content this year it sounds like he brings a lot of good energy to the group and can probably be credited (among others) as keeping morale high when we were getting smashed earlier in the year.

Of course that alone won't save him, but I think if it's a line ball decision on whether or not his footy contribution is needed in 2024 then it might help score him another year.

Don't underestimate the importance of people who make rocking up to work enjoyable when the work itself is becoming unenjoyable.

According to the Hawks

Not having seen the interview my hunch is Sicily would have been asking him in jest for the benefit of the viewers and Greene responded in kind.
p.s. best of luck, Fergus. Very likeable guy and a capable player.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back