Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm stunned by his work rate up the wing and half back. I'd pigeon holed him as more of an opportunist. I thought it was a fantastic debut.

Didn't average double digit touches in his seasons at Collingwood and never had pressure/tackle numbers. So I picked him as a guy who would disappear if he wasn't among the goals. If he can strengthen as a classy connector half forward like Moore then he's a massive steal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May I post in your forum?

Very happy Jack has such a good start, really smart hard working player. On paper he shouldn't be that effective (light and not that quick) but he's a footballer and in a league of athletes he beats 95% of them for brains.

We saw a lots of silly criticism about his onfield stuff because he looks like a cheeky idiot, it was never a problem at the Pies. He forced his way into a premiership side in good form and he will do a lot for you.

I get annoyed when people say he's a flash in the pan or selfish, he's a really good team player and works endlessly. I had a look at your replay and as usual he's making position, shepherding, dummy leading, all the boring team stuff. He can be nullified by allocating a stopper but that shows he's a threat teams and they have to take someone out of the zone to deal with him. Has kicked 4s and a 5 in the past and will do it again, and can play as a back of the square mid.

Just keep a bit of a leash on him off field, there will be incidents. Thats literally the only knock.

May I post in your forum?

Very happy Jack has such a good start, really smart hard working player. On paper he shouldn't be that effective (light and not that quick) but he's a footballer and in a league of athletes he beats 95% of them for brains.

We saw a lots of silly criticism about his onfield stuff because he looks like a cheeky idiot, it was never a problem at the Pies. He forced his way into a premiership side in good form and he will do a lot for you.

I get annoyed when people say he's a flash in the pan or selfish, he's a really good team player and works endlessly. I had a look at your replay and as usual he's making position, shepherding, dummy leading, all the boring team stuff. He can be nullified by allocating a stopper but that shows he's a threat teams and they have to take someone out of the zone to deal with him. Has kicked 4s and a 5 in the past and will do it again, and can play as a back of the square mid.

Just keep a bit of a leash on him off field, there will be incidents. Thats literally the only knock.
Thanks for that. :thumbsu: I think we're all pretty impressed with Jack and very happy about getting him here.

You touch on something which rings true, for me at least - I hadn't expected him to be such a hard worker or so multi dimensional - I just hadn't followed him that closely I guess. Anyway, it's great to have him at the Hawks. Clever, hardworking players with a high footy iq are worth their weight in gold. And I reckon we needed a bit of that cheekiness on field.

Hopefully he'll continue to mature with us and off field incidents will happen less often as he gets older or not be too serious but we'll see I guess.

Last edited:
So… Ginni got 3 head high tackles / hits that were legit free kicks and at least 1 other that he “played for” but did not touch his head.

The problem is that he “plays” for the free kick and umpires look for it. As soon as they see the arm rise to the neck and across the body, whether it affected the tackle or not, they call play on. And I agree. I greatly dislike staging for free kicks.

That arm lift is pure trash! I hated it when he did it for the Pies and hate it even more now.

I don’t mind that he did not get the legit free kicks as he needs to do better. He should stop looking for the free kicks and get those that are deserved, which in today’s count was 3

Moore gets legit free kicks and Watson will get even more. If Ginni keeps doing that sh!t he may tarr our smalls, in the umpires eyes, with his brush.

Ginni has the talent to be an excellent player. He should lean on that and not the cheap tricks..

Last edited:
To counterbalance the above:

1/ I have been super impressed with Ginni so far. He’s way more than I imagined we’d been getting. Loving how he’s getting involved all over the field, as well as the spark and passion he brings to the team. So glad to have him on board.

2/ The umpires should umpire to the rules, not to the players. There’s enough complexity in trying to apply the rules that exist, let alone apply them differently to different players. While I don’t like any playing for frees, I want them called when they’re legitimately there, regardless of who is receiving them.

So… Ginni got 3 head high tackles / hits that were legit free kicks and at least 1 other that he “played for” but did not touch his head.

The problem is that he “plays” for the free kick and umpires look for it. As soon as they see the arm rise to the neck and across the body, whether it affected the tackle or not, they call play on. And I agree. I greatly dislike staging for free kicks.

That arm lift is pure trash! I hated it when he did it for the Pies and hate it even more now.

I don’t mind that he did not get the legit free kicks as he needs to do better. He should stop looking for the free kicks and get those that are deserved, which in today’s count was 3

Moore gets legit free kicks and Watson will get even more. If Ginni keeps doing that sh!t he may tarr our smalls, in the umpires eyes, with his brush.

Ginni has the talent to be an excellent player. He should lean on that and not the cheap tricks..
There was one instance where the Geelong bloke cloth lined him wwf style and no free kick ….he didn’t play for anything it was a poor tackle

The umpiring lead by umpire Leigh fisher was disgraceful and influenced the game …it was it is they where very poor

From Mitch:

Mitchell said Hawthorn will contact the football operations department at the AFL this week if they believe Jack Ginnivan is being umpired differently after the high profile recruit wasn't paid several free kicks for head high contact.

"I know there has been a lot of talk about it," he said.

"Coaching, you don't go back and look at it, but if he is, there is a process to get in touch with the AFL. If we re-watch it and have a look and think he is having unfair treatment, then I will get in touch with the AFL this week and get them to have a look at it. I haven't seen any vision or looked at that at this point."

It annoys me that the club has recruited this whole debate. Ginnivan is a good footballer and umpired incorrectly yes, but it feels like we've willingly signed up to be part of footy's worst culture war. Unless you're an AFL darling that makes the competition money it feels like you only have so much campaign capital with umpires to exhaust and we're wasting a lot when we don't need it during years of non-contention.

A critical issue with umpiring is that they do umpire the player rather than the game on its merits. This has been a VFL/AFL culture issue since I've been going to the football.It is a part of their culture. On top of the high tackles on Ginnivan, he also applied a couple of great tackles on his opponents which would be holding the ball any day of the week yet they refused to reward him for his hard work. Consider how Selwood was kissed on the backside for his entire career ducking at every opportunity. How many critical free kicks did he get awarded in close games against us over the years by ducking or raising his arm. Plenty.

So, throw this major cultural problem combined with what is the most incompetent officiating in any sport in the world and we have a completely messed up competition. The AFL would be such a better competition without them. Rather than making the game better and fairer they basically mock it.

There were 3 blatant ones he should have got. A few he staged for and were rightfully ignored.

Just hope the latter isn’t an excuse to not pay the obvious ones. Every small fwd stages for frees - ginni shouldn’t be treated differently.

hopefully the ledger gets squared against the pies!

Last edited:
He’s a really talented player who has been one of our best this year. Already a fan favourite

His umpiring treatment is a joke but he also needs to learn not look for the frees. He won’t get them
To his credit he doesnt complain regardless of how he is treated by the umpires.
But what is infuriating is the soft head high that will then be paid 2 mins late to the opposition who dive with their head into our stationary player.

That riles me no end. They are okay with protecting someone's head in these situations based on a cautious approach and giving that player the benefit of the doubt. Where is the fairness.

What is even worse, by extension, Watson copped a few legitiamte high tackles and he wasn't given anything either.

All we previously heard from the Selwood Protection Crew (ie umpiring department) was about how he challenged the tackler to make sure he got tackled correctly. Goal posts shifted now.

There are many other small forwards who play for free kicks in others sides, none who get umpired so differently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back