Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a successful return for Serong in the VFL today against Southport.

12 disposals - 5 marks - 2 goals - 1 behind
Thought he was good. Is an upgrade on Greene on potential. Once he strings some games together getting some consistent form up we could have the 3rd tall option we need for the future.

I think this guy has a lot of potential. He's good in the air and can lead.
Played well today and took advantage of his opportunities - needs a string of games from here.

In the 20 minutes I watched of the game, he didn’t really do much. But I will go back and watch the full match. Based on the opinions here, it seemed he had a good game. Either way, it's just good to see him back out there playing football.
Every 1 on 1 he was involved in he either halved it or won the contest. Moves very well for a 6ft 4 guy and has good hands. Just needs continuity and in a few weeks he should be playing 1s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL player by player RD11​

Jai Serong (16 disposals, 4 marks)

“Jai actually played in defence and he did a really good job. He had some really good moments with his contest and his ability to impact the aerial contest was great. What was really exciting for Jai was his ability to run and overlap and use the ball calmly and with great composure as well. He’ll get another opportunity to play in defence this week and we’ll see where that leads. He should be really proud and really happy with how his performance went as a defender this week.”

“Jai actually played in defence and he did a really good job. He had some really good moments with his contest and his ability to impact the aerial contest was great. What was really exciting for Jai was his ability to run and overlap and use the ball calmly and with great composure as well. He’ll get another opportunity to play in defence this week and we’ll see where that leads. He should be really proud and really happy with how his performance went as a defender this week.”
Club sees him as someone who is a good user of the ball, makes sense to try him down back

I find it odd that he comes back. Plays well up forward and we move him back to see what comes of it…

Playing him in defence is baffling. We have several players that play that role, but no third tall forwards. Makes absolutely no sense.
Was my reaction too. I wonder if it was to accomodate Morris going up forward. Either way, Box Hill should regain Jeka, and they'll get Brandon Ryan in so we'll find out this week if there was anything more to it than plugging holes. Good to see Jai back playing well though.

Frwd or gtfo. But seriously, we NEED frwds , we have enough options down back like developing a pick 6!!!
İf frwds can't Frwd , then good night and good luck. I know I'm going a bit over the top but I don't wanna know about a 6'3 mobile Frwd going in defence ....not again. Maybe, it was to get him into the game a bit more but I feel this kid has some good traits as third tall up Frwd.

Playing him in defence is baffling. We have several players that play that role, but no third tall forwards. Makes absolutely no sense.
We have Ryan, Jeka, Thorpe, Greene, Ramma, Serong up forward someone has to go back or play somewhere else because we can't have all of them in the forward line.

I still think he will be a forward for us but its just giving him a taste down back while we have other options forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back