Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the sub role has been good for him.
Gets him in the game when its opened out a bit and has allowed him to use his vision and skill .
You can see his confidence building .

Think he has a few 20+ possies and high influence games coming before this season is out

The kid is five minutes into his AFL career, obviously he's going to have moments of lack of awareness, the game moves extremely quick and Sam's game plan is even quicker!!! No more sub for mine. Has quality and composure written all over him.

He was in everything when he came on and constantly offering an option in the centre square. A very good game for a sub with limited minutes.

Zane Littlejohn was full of praise for Mackenzie after Box Hill's Round 17 victory over North Melbourne.

Cam Mackenzie (21 disposals, 4 marks)

"It was a quieter first half for Cam, but he really worked his way into the game in the second half. We allowed him to go forward a little bit in the second half and he showed some great speed, power and work rate. His ability to get out of traffic with his footwork was a real highlight. He's played on some quality players, it was a great exposure for him to play inside and attend a lot of centre bounces. He is testing himself against AFL players which is really good and he'll continue to work on his clearance work and stuff around the contest. When he's got the ball, good things happen."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I said it yesterday in the Box Hill thread. I was only able to watch the last quarter, but Mackenzie turned it on big time when the game was hanging in the balance. He was full of class, finding time and space in traffic and kicking to the advantage of our players. It also shows Mackenzie’s leadership, as he has stepped up and made his impact felt when the game is on the line on numerous occasions now. To people worried about him being out of the side, don't be. He's doing quite well at Box Hill and is showing the traits that make him such a high-potential prospect. I think Zane Littlejohn put it best. "When he's got the ball, good things happen." He's my favourite player of ours, and he could just about be the best young midfielder on our books. I hope he can find his way back into the AFL side before the year's out and that he finishes the year strongly.

VFL Senior Coach Zane Littlejohn assesses the performances of our 15 AFL-listed Hawks from our close win over Richmond.

Cam Mackenzie (27 disposals, 7 tackles, 8 clearances)​

"Cam again spent some time on-ball, part of his development is spending as much time as he can around the stoppage and centre bounce. He finished with eight clearances this week, which is really good. We talked about a balanced performance, and he did that, as a midfielder he had a pretty well-rounded game. Cam is starting to build some great confidence and really develop his stoppage craft, one of the areas he's been trying to improve which he has done so really well."

Not it lets him get better as a mid, which seems to be what's happening. He's not the worst half forward or wing, but he'll be an inside midfielder. Does he take CBAs away from our current midfield group? I can't see where that happens.
I believe you get your best players into the team and let them develop as they play at the highest level.
Clearly he is among our best talents AND can contribute immediately playing in peripheral roles.

VFL Senior Coach Zane Littlejohn assesses the performances of our 15 AFL-listed Hawks from our close win over Richmond.

Cam Mackenzie (27 disposals, 7 tackles, 8 clearances)​

"Cam again spent some time on-ball, part of his development is spending as much time as he can around the stoppage and centre bounce. He finished with eight clearances this week, which is really good. We talked about a balanced performance, and he did that, as a midfielder he had a pretty well-rounded game. Cam is starting to build some great confidence and really develop his stoppage craft, one of the areas he's been trying to improve which he has done so really well."
He plays in the seniors this week. Long had a half and didn't impact at all.

It's just whether he plays as the sub or full time. If its the sub, he might as well keep playing in the VFL.

I believe you get your best players into the team and let them develop as they play at the highest level.
Clearly he is among our best talents AND can contribute immediately playing in peripheral roles.
The problem is he isn't going to get enough CBA at AFL level and we want him to be getting experience in that particular area. He's done the peripheral roles at AFL level and done well but now we want him to build into a CBA mid but atm he is not able to displace our current mids due to their form so playing him at Box Hill is best for his development in that particular role.

I think if he plays another senior games he is disqualified from Box Hill finals. To me he's better off playing another 8-10 games as the main man for BH than 4-5 as a bit part player for the seniors. It's his first year, he's shown enough to say he will be a good/great 10 year player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back