Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course there should be an investigation. GWS let a 27-year-old A grader go for nothing. Had that have been Hawthorn, I would have yelling for the head of the medical team to be booted.

AFL has spent a fortune on GWS, if that was my investment I would be looking at heads to roll.

Of course there should be an investigation. GWS let a 27-year-old A grader go for nothing. Had that have been Hawthorn, I would have yelling for the head of the medical team to be booted.

AFL has spent a fortune on GWS, if that was my investment I would be looking at heads to roll.
orange font?

All of that of course.

I still think there's an element of us having to manage the exits carefully. We also have to consider the playing group that will remain. If they see guys being treated badly it had the potential to damage our player retention ongoing.

We had no choice as to the club to negotiate a trade with, Scully chose you guys and that left us seeking the best trade we could get.

Any serious suggestion the trade was wrong would get AFLPA's back up anyway I think.

I agree with pretty much everything you say here. It would've been really interesting to see how all this played out if Scully wasn't injured and was just seeking a trade. I know not all of you believe this but after Hawthorn had pulled out of the Shiel negotiations and we had secured Wingard there were rumours that we were willing to give up a future 1st rounder for Scully. It was then reported that we saw the doctors report and how much of an unknown it was going to be in getting him back on the park at that point in time. It seems we were always pretty confident in getting him right whereas as you mentioned above it was always highly important for GWS to manage any player exits carefully as to be seen to be treating anyone badly which good clubs do. You only have to look at how other teams like the Suns have handled themselves in this area and in some cases not thorough there own fault have come out looking like buffoons by letting things get ugly.

We didn't have GWS at gun point. They traded him of their own volition.

Our club took a calculated risk that they could get him back to at least close to his best footy within a reasonable time period.

Likewise GWS weighed up their options and deemed moving on a seriously injured player with a significant salary cap burden for little in trade was a good move for them. In fact it was the most logical move for them at the time. It helped them extract full value from Essendon for Shiel and it gave them great salary cap relief for their battle to keep Coniglio and Kelly this year.

We didn't have GWS at gun point. They traded him of their own volition.

Our club took a calculated risk that they could get him back to at least close to his best footy within a reasonable time period.

Likewise GWS weighed up their options and deemed moving on a seriously injured player with a significant salary cap burden for little in trade was a good move for them. In fact it was the most logical move for them at the time. It helped them extract full value from Essendon for Shiel and it gave them great salary cap relief for their battle to keep Coniglio and Kelly this year.

Which will make it all the sweeter when we pinch Coniglio off them, for nothing more than cap space.

Let’s be honest, they’ll end up doing one now. There’s too much public noise.

But what have we done wrong? I just can’t see it.

Let’s be honest, they’ll end up doing one now. There’s too much public noise.

But what have we done wrong? I just can’t see it.
So far all we've done wrong is almost get him back on the park.

The messaging is much too positive for a 4th round Pick

I reckon half the braying mules hawing "Investigation" have little idea what an investigation is, or what the trade guidelines are. Its OK, tonight will probably throw up problems with the 50m protected area or runners so they'll move onto braying about that. If the Crows roll us pretty easily this'll drop off the radar. The half wits are only screaming investigation because Scully looks ahead of where people thought he'd be and there's not much else to talk about. Yet.

Why would there be an investigation?
I think it's pretty obvious it was a salary dump, and my guess is they wanted to bring back in as little salary as possible, to create as much room for Kelly and Coniglio this year.

If they received in a first rounder or player, would that reduce the amount of space they had? I think the 'uncertainty' around his ankle was just wrapping up why they didn't want to take as much back?

The only investigation there should be is if they did think his ankle was that bad and accepted that return based on that. Then there should be an investigation into their medical department and what they are doing.

The AFL should investigate themselves for offering us pick 18 as compensation for Buddy Franklin.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far all we've done wrong is almost get him back on the park.

The messaging is much too positive for a 4th round Pick

Nothing to see.

In the end Scully was open to be traded to Hawthorn.

The Giants actually thought by clearing Scullys money would enable them to keep Shiel but it was too late and Shiel had by then decided he was coming back to Melbourne.

If one player has to be moved and it’s either Shiel or an injured Scully who is your choice?

This all came very late in the trade period and by clearing both these players money now has them in the prime position to keep Coniglio and Kelly.

If there is an investigation, it should be into GWS's TPP management. That is the major factor that led to the Scully trade, the ankle injury was just the cream on top.

I listened to Dave Matthews about this. His response was interesting. “We knew 3 years back where we would be now in regards to our cap but we were all in for a premiership while we had the chance”

Scully went from 1 mill a season to 500k a season to help but the likes of Kelly Hopper Shiel Whitfield Cameron and Greene all got massive pay rises as they came out of contract.

Would be hard to let go of any of those mentioned above while you are making prelims and believe the first Flag is not far off.

I listened to Dave Matthews about this. His response was interesting. “We knew 3 years back where we would be now in regards to our cap but we were all in for a premiership while we had the chance”

Scully went from 1 mill a season to 500k a season to help but the likes of Kelly Hopper Shiel Whitfield Cameron and Greene all got massive pay rises as they came out of contract.

Would be hard to let go of any of those mentioned above while you are making prelims and believe the first Flag is not far off.
That's it.

We undoubtedly went balls out for an early flag to establish ourselves. We've had to reverse course a bit to prevent it coming badly unstuck.

We really have been set up differently to other startups and have no precedent to follow. The Suns have hit a different wall first, player development and retention in my view.

Our player retention and development has been much better, so we crashed into the salary cap wall first.

It's all basically growing pains for a new club.

Yeah, it was an "All in" strategy, which ultimately didn't deliver. I can see the reasoning at the time, but it ultimately didn't deliver. Im sure the AFL signed off on it too. So who's to blame? Surely there are repercussions? Or are the repercussions losing high priced assets like Scully for unders?

..But what have we done wrong? I just can’t see it.

It's not about Hawthorn doing something wrong. It is about how those GWS pumpkins are running that club. GWS had an asset which they sold for way unders. This nonsense that HFC has miracle workers that no other club has access to is ridiculous.

Get ready for the investigation guys/gals cause the melts have begun :)

View attachment 637725
Hahahaha

Im assuming that is Tim McGrath as in the old ranger from the 80s and KRock?

He was the best part about listening to the K Rock broadcasts of each flag, he is so incredibly bitter towards Hawthorn. Pathologically so.

This tweet makes me smile.

Yeah, it was an "All in" strategy, which ultimately didn't deliver. I can see the reasoning at the time, but it ultimately didn't deliver. Im sure the AFL signed off on it too. So who's to blame? Surely there are repercussions? Or are the repercussions losing high priced assets like Scully for unders?

Why should someone be to blame though?

They went all in, which IMO was the way to go. Plenty of clubs have done this in the past and plenty will do it in the future.

I really like the GWS setup, I don't think they could of done anything better in the way they set up a new club in a hostile territory.

The players they brought in at the start were ideal. Blokes like Ward, Brogan, Cornes, MacDonald and Mummy were either super leaders, super tough, or both. They didn't chase they star players like Ablett, just built the team with the right sort of players.

They still play the right style and still have plenty of tough campaigners.

I've always said you need talent to contend but you need c**** to salute, they had the talent and the c**** so going all in was the way to go. It just didn't work out.

It's not about Hawthorn doing something wrong. It is about how those GWS pumpkins are running that club. GWS had an asset which they sold for way unders. This nonsense that HFC has miracle workers that no other club has access to is ridiculous.

Putting myself in aGWS fans shoes, I personally dont think they have done tto much wrong. Tehir retention is better than the other startup.

When you get as many talented kids as they got early, its inevitable some will get squeezed out. They've always done pretty well with what they have got for their departures. Scully is an outlier

If this were StKilda, Gold Coast or Freo no one would care to much how cheap they got him. Scribes, commentators and opposition supporters hyperventilate when top flight teams seem to be gaining an edge, in this case the hawks, they fear us and this kind of faux outrage only proves it.

When you are making prelims there are no tomorrow’s. Nobody is to blame. They did the right thing and have lost a few out the other side.

They still have the list to contend for a flag without Scully Lobb Setterfield and Shiel.

Time will tell but as I have mentioned before I am hearing Cogs and Kelly will stay at the Giants so maybe these two were priority 1 and 2 all along!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back