News Welcome to Hawthorn Tyrone Vickery's cats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why attack the guy personally?
My apologies for all the Vickery fans in here. I'll rewrite my post for all you sensitive souls.

I still can't believe that a room full of people at the Hawthorn bloody Football Club thought it was a good idea to sign this absolute gentleman seat swapper and cat lover who is clearly not close to being an AFL-quality football player.

My apologies for all the Vickery fans in here. I'll rewrite my post for all you sensitive souls.

I still can't believe that a room full of people at the Hawthorn bloody Football Club thought it was a good idea to sign this absolute gentleman seat swapper and cat lover who is clearly not close to being an AFL-quality football player.

Never understood it either. Still don't.

The idea behind having one ruckman and the back-up being a keyforward/ruck, the club had right. They just picked the wrong player for the role....

Look mate, be a dick if you want. You will note that I am in no way a Vickery fan. But when you come on here and call him a "prick" you deserve to be called out. Attack the guy's footballing ability or otherwise but there is no need to stoop to personally insulting him.

Look mate, be a dick if you want. You will note that I am in no way a Vickery fan. But when you come on here and call him a "prick" you deserve to be called out. Attack the guy's footballing ability or otherwise but there is no need to stoop to personally insulting him.

The use of the word prick was a colloquialism, not some deep insight into the personality of a bloke I've never met. Have you never used the word prick, or campaigner, or bastard, to refer to someone, but not necessarily really think they are a prick, a campaigner, or a bastard?

Everyone's a bit sensitive around here at the moment and that's understandable, it's been a tough transition from dominant team to also-ran. But for you pricks to get all hysterical and rush to Tyrone's defense over this is ridiculous. Which one of you is his mum?

Has never been a good contested mark. Ask Richmond supporters.

He has always been a good leading mark but contested he is poor.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I thought he led their contested marks when he was there, I must be recalling incorrectly. Maybe just top inside 50 marks...

I think you're all misinterpreting Vickery as a player, he's not a ruckman. Richmond figured that out and stopped having him attend centre bounces, they sat him forward and he was a good goal kicking option. The problem with the Hawks and Vickery is typified by a couple of things;

1 - We haven't exactly gotten the ball to him forward of centre too often
2 - We've played him something like 60% in the ruck

Yeah he goes missing some games, but he's not alone in that this year or any year. He's a smart player with a good football instinct - him being in the 50 will make our forwards better; we just need to get the ball there. I encourage you all to actually watch Vickery when he's in a marking contest or around goal, he shepherds, he times his leaps to give other forwards one-out opportunities with their defender, he does crafty little blocks and makes sound decisions with ball in hand.

You've got to take him with his flaws, he has a poor tank and isn't the quickest bloke. So sit him FF and get the bloody ball to him, wasn't too many years ago he kicked 5 goals on Phil Davis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're all misinterpreting Vickery as a player, he's not a ruckman. Richmond figured that out and stopped having him attend centre bounces, they sat him forward and he was a good goal kicking option. The problem with the Hawks and Vickery is typified by a couple of things;

1 - We haven't exactly gotten the ball to him forward of centre too often
2 - We've played him something like 60% in the ruck

Yeah he goes missing some games, but he's not alone in that this year or any year. He's a smart player with a good football instinct - him being in the 50 will make our forwards better; we just need to get the ball there. I encourage you all to actually watch Vickery when he's in a marking contest or around goal, he shepherds, he times his leaps to give other forwards one-out opportunities with their defender, he does crafty little blocks and makes sound decisions with ball in hand.

You've got to take him with his flaws, he has a poor tank and isn't the quickest bloke. So sit him FF and get the bloody ball to him, wasn't too many years ago he kicked 5 goals on Phil Davis.

Correct, he is no Ruckman, only a forward then we will see more of Vickery's best

Last edited:
I was in Melbourne last week and talked to a number of old friends & colleagues about footy etc. There was a stack of info that came up about my club but there was also stuff about opposition clubs too.

The snippets about the Hawks were that privately, even though it seemed like a good idea at the time they are starting to regret the recruitment of Vickery (they thought he was a more developed player who could kick straighter) and to a lesser extent O'Meara given the high cost to secure him on top of the constant injury issues.

Can anyone here throw any more light on those thoughts ??

I was in Melbourne last week and talked to a number of old friends & colleagues about footy etc. There was a stack of info that came up about my club but there was also stuff about opposition clubs too.

The snippets about the Hawks were that privately, even though it seemed like a good idea at the time they are starting to regret the recruitment of Vickery (they thought he was a more developed player who could kick straighter) and to a lesser extent O'Meara given the high cost to secure him on top of the constant injury issues.

Sounds a lot like bigfooty.

Insider at the club tells me that the club is very happy with JOM. Talking attitude in particular, ripping young kid, etc. Knee concerns are related to but not the same as previous issues and they are confident that this will be resolved. Needs another pre-season to show his best and has been recruited with the longer term in mind. Has no KPI's for this season and will be judged in three years' time.

Vickery was recruited as cover for Roughead and not Ceglar as widely thought. The club was hedging based on the unknown as to how Roughead would come back from his cancer treatment.

Mitchell - won the players and staff over almost immediately with his work ethic and attitude. Fair to say that he is loved by all and sundry involved with Hawthorn.

Insider at the club tells me that the club is very happy with JOM. Talking attitude in particular, ripping young kid, etc. Knee concerns are related to but not the same as previous issues and they are confident that this will be resolved. Needs another pre-season to show his best and has been recruited with the longer term in mind. Has no KPI's for this season and will be judged in three years' time.

Vickery was recruited as cover for Roughead and not Ceglar as widely thought. The club was hedging based on the unknown as to how Roughead would come back from his cancer treatment.

Mitchell - won the players and staff over almost immediately with his work ethic and attitude. Fair to say that he is loved by all and sundry involved with Hawthorn.

Your comment on Vickery makes a lot of sense and "sort of" goes in hand with the gossip I heard.

The JOM stuff sounds quite fair, I've never read or heard anyone say anything negative about him 'the person', apparently a very decent chap. Its just that there are/were concerns if he doesn't get over the knee issues, the high risk/high reward cost may hurt the Hawks a little more than originally thought.

Anyone who doesn't love Tom Mitchell should GTFO

Vickery is not a ruckman never was and never will be.

Vickery is a really good tall lead up forward, bit like Gunstan, he is an excellent kick for goal.

I reckon Clarko will work him out because unlike Dimma, he is dropping him and making him earn his spot and is not being gifted games.

Vickery is not a ruckman never was and never will be.

Vickery is a really good tall lead up forward, bit like Gunstan, he is an excellent kick for goal.

I reckon Clarko will work him out because unlike Dimma, he is dropping him and making him earn his spot and is not being gifted games.
Not a great year to be a lead up forward. Our midfield is a bit so so and no Brad Hill is a massive loss to talls like TV. I'd like to see how he goes when Jaegar comes back in (for a few games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back