Review West Coast vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 1 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting with all the discussion of the value of inside 50s (which I consider pretty meaningless outside a spanking), and thanks to Janus of marks inside 50 (which I would've though pretty valuable.
I don't have a good segue to this but remember a few years back West Coast's defenders were just unbeatable and no-one but no-one could lob it in and hope their forwards would win. But we went over with a plan to kick in many scraggy ground balls instead so their intercept kings couldn't work their evil magic. And it worked a treat with us winning a game we shouldn't have won. No-one, including us, has done it again. Once Allen, Barras and McGovern started dominating the air in this game I wondered why we didn't just try that again. Plenty of inside 50s but stuff-all marks to anyone.

I think it was pissing with rain all that game.

Tactically we need a left footer on one of the wings. Bonner & Bergman for mine. Dursma has been meh for some time, seems to get lost alot and doesnt set up correctly like the other two. Going to be interesting to see how selection goes for the Freo game.
You have raised a good point about the left/right foot aspect.

If only Port skills develop…. Maybe one of those three will be the sub? But maybe that should be Bonner as I think the others have show more in the pre-season so far?

It seems like Duursma and Bergman currently have the wing spots. Has Farrell turned a corner or is it just that he suits being in defence as the ball finds him more? When at half forward or on the wing he seemed to struggle to find enough of it. If he could figure out running patters and how to get into good positions he could be a great winger with his penetrating left foot.

It seems like Duursma and Bergman currently have the wing spots. Has Farrell turned a corner or is it just that he suits being in defence as the ball finds him more? When at half forward or on the wing he seemed to struggle to find enough of it. If he could figure out running patters and how to get into good positions he could be a great winger with his penetrating left foot.
I believe you want your best ball users in defence, the easiest way to defend is retain possession. Jonas and DBJ? Farrell has shown at times ability to play midfield minutes, but personally I would have his strengths off Half Back or in a Back Pocket.

Imagine having McKenzie, Burgoyne, Farrell, Aliir, Houston delivering the footy further up the field.
Bugger forward half pressure, we be having set shots 30 meters out dead in front.

Analyse our forward entry stats all you like but there is no statistic or measure that holistically explains our poor inside 50 conversion rates.

It should be obvious to anyone's eyes that our continued lack of forward structure and system continues to be our Achilles heel.

What a friggen waste of talent and energy

Analyse our forward entry stats all you like but there is no statistic or measure that holistically explains our poor inside 50 conversion rates.

It should be obvious to anyone's eyes that our continued lack of forward structure and system continues to be our Achilles heel.

What a friggen waste of talent and energy
It may be our intent for forward half stoppage, kick deep to pocket, opposed to other teams actually scoring?

I think we need to focus on getting more goals from our mids. Rozee can definitely put them through and Wines is actually one of our better snap shots on goal. If we can score more running onto and over 50 it will break down the oppositions defence and free up some of our forwards. When we were at our best around 2014, I felt we score from the centre.

You have raised a good point about the left/right foot aspect.

If only Port skills develop…. Maybe one of those three will be the sub? But maybe that should be Bonner as I think the others have show more in the pre-season so far?
its likely Bonner as he can play wing or HB. I guess we will see how they set up v Fro?

Were we really treated to a revelation that the premiership team often has the most or thereabouts inside50’s?
Nah, just that one of the grand finalists is always in the top 4 for i50's or something. Which is an electrifying stat and entirely justifies stinkleys focus on low quality repeat entries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back