Review West Coast vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 1 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant beleive I'm saying this but i agree with Janus

Just watched the first half for the first time

Wasnt that bad, a few concerns but better than the suns the year before

I mean we arent winning any finals but we are not bottom 4

Is there any stats for this game we can check?

Im glad Rozee confirmed that we dominated the inside 50’s, because I wasn’t sure if it was just my port bias but it really did seem to me that we had the ball camped in our front half but just couldn’t score and west coast were punishing us on the counter attack. (I think we lost many games to west coast this way circa 2015-18).

But as others have mentioned doesn’t this make the fact we lost even worse, to have 25 more inside 50’s against a side that won 2 games last year and still lose.

I was very surprised to hear that Bassett took positives out of the game.

I’m really scratching my head about where we are at. Are we not expecting much this year, how can we be happy with that? Or are west coast going to do a 2010-11 or 14-15 like jump again this year so losing to them at their training facilities in a scratchy isn’t as bad as I’m making it out to be.

I went into the game thinking anything less than a 6-7 goal win would be disappointing.

I had top 4 in sights but the performance and commentary from the club has left me completely confused.

Hopefully next week gives me more clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why does this club rate time in forward half, and ineffective inside 50 entries so highly?

It means absolutely nothing if it doesn't result in goals and a winning score.

Im glad Rozee confirmed that we dominated the inside 50’s, because I wasn’t sure if it was just my port bias but it really did seem to me that we had the ball camped in our front half but just couldn’t score and west coast were punishing us on the counter attack. (I think we lost many games to west coast this way circa 2015-18).

But as others have mentioned doesn’t this make the fact we lost even worse, to have 25 more inside 50’s against a side that won 2 games last year and still lose.

I’m really scratching my head about where we are at. Are we not expecting much this year, how can we be happy with that? Or are west coast going to do a 2010-11 or 14-15 like jump again this year so losing to them at their training facilities in a scratchy isn’t as bad as I’m making it out to be.

I went into the game thinking anything less than a 6-7 goal win would be disappointing.

I had top 4 in sights but the performance and commentary from the club has left me completely confused.

We are not finishing top 4.

We might scrape into the finals if everything goes our way.

Teams are going to be lining up to kick goals against our defence as we are still suspect to quick ball movement by the opposition.

We will beat up on the ordinary teams like we always do but will struggle against the better teams.

I wasn’t sure if it was just my port bias but it really did seem to me that we had the ball camped in our front half but just couldn’t score and west coast were punishing us on the counter attack. (I think we lost many games to west coast this way circa 2015-18).
This is exactly what brings about the response on this forum.

What we saw wasn't just 'trial form' it was a consistent display of the same issues we've had for years.

RossFC is spot on, we rate time in forward half as so darn important, but we're impotent up forward, we struggle to score, and we over rate our defence on the back of this boring forward press style. The congestion our game style creates makes it bloody hard to score but opens us up the other way.

I remain extremely concerned about our gameplan. Our defence is horrendous and totally hides behind a shitty game plan, we conceded shots with ease, and all the midfield dominance means nothing when our structure forward of the ball is such a mess.

What a weird thing to say. Barring when injured Lycett's been fantastic since he came to us (and a premiership winner beforehand). Unsurprisingly one of our best in the West Coast hit-out.
He has been serviceable ... That's all! He tries hard, and he uses his strong physical presence, but he is a 2nd-rate ruckman. That being said, I thought Lycett was very good last week ... And unlike you, I was very surprised! Question is, how long will it last? He is a big man, carrying around a big weight. Like previous years, his game will deteriorate as the months go by.

Why they gave up on Hayes so quickly last year, I will never know! Threw away a great opportunity to speed up his development. If one of Hayes or Visentini isnt ready to take over the mantle by years end, we are screwed in the ruck department.

You lost, it was only a match sim, get over it..😉
Hello? Its not losing this meaningless game thats bothering us .... It's you!

gordon ramsay cooking GIF by Fox TV

You lost, it was only a match sim, get over it..😉
We get it, your B grade team of professional duckers won what? 2 games? last year i imagine it’s been a big weekend celebrating the scratch match on your home ground with all the excitement of guests from “over east”. It’s time for you to head back to where you came from, bye Felicia

Why does this club rate time in forward half, and ineffective inside 50 entries so highly?

I 100% agree.

I get the theory, if the ball is in your forward 50, it prevents the opposition scoring. But isn’t the game to score? So don’t you want the ball to go through the goals first time? And the efficient that happens the better?

It’s now almost like a learned deviation. “We didn’t win, but had the ball forward a lot”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's something with which to convince the board that the team is close to breaking through. If we had anyone with a bit of football knowledge on there, it wouldn't work. But here we are.

If anything, we should be seeing this year as the ultimate test of Hinkleyball. On the weekend, we had our two first-choice small forwards available. We had more inside 50s. And yet, and yet, we were still impotent. Perhaps if we just try one more time, that time, for sure, it will work.

Couple of things after reviewing replay that stood out,
We were exposed at critical times on the outside, which resulted in some quick transitions and scores by wc. It appeared that too many were being drawn into the contest leaving no defensive coverage on the wc players who stayed on the outside. Liam Ryan was particular effective in flicking it out to those guys.
First quarter we dominated but attacked to nearside of the ground with wind. Local knowledge dictates this was a dead pocket and difficult to score from, both Marshall and Jones missing set shots.
Key diff was Oscar Allen who took contested Marks at key times, whilst MG was monstered by Barrass.

Quick note to all of those talking up Lycett's game. He was up against Bailey Williams. When Sam Hayes went up against Bailey Williams last year, in Sam's second career game mind you, he had 48 hitouts. That's more than Lycett has ever had in a game in his 132 game career. A guy who is (ostensibly) our #1 ruck looking like a passable football player against Bailey Williams is nothing to be proud of.

He has been serviceable ... That's all! He tries hard, and he uses his strong physical presence, but he is a 2nd-rate ruckman. That being said, I thought Lycett was very good last week ... And unlike you, I was very surprised! Question is, how long will it last? He is a big man, carrying around a big weight. Like previous years, his game will deteriorate as the months go by.

Why they gave up on Hayes so quickly last year, I will never know! Threw away a great opportunity to speed up his development. If one of Hayes or Visentini isnt ready to take over the mantle by years end, we are screwed in the ruck department.
Agree Lycett won't last just like last year.

Burgoyne and Bergman in my best 23. I think that leaves Bonner on the outer.
Tactically we need a left footer on one of the wings. Bonner & Bergman for mine. Dursma has been meh for some time, seems to get lost alot and doesnt set up correctly like the other two. Going to be interesting to see how selection goes for the Freo game.

Tactically we need a left footer on one of the wings. Bonner & Bergman for mine. Dursma has been meh for some time, seems to get lost alot and doesnt set up correctly like the other two. Going to be interesting to see how selection goes for the Freo game.

Well Duursma and Bergman both played in the WCE game whilst Bonner came on in the second half and then ran around in the reserves match afterwards, so I think you've got your answer there.

Bonner for mine on wing, more natural outside run and carry type, was good for white side in internals. Bergs to HBF or off bench to pinch hit in various roles, would like to see him occasionally forward (fun fact Bergs was full forward as junior I believe).

I was surprised by some of Bassett's views of the game, especially the team all ground defense.

One big concern I had out of the game was that it seemed like the players were instructed to default to running back 5m rather than stand the mark. Plenty of times there was no advantage to doing so and it 1. Opened up space for the player with the ball to better create an option/get decent ground before kicking and 2. moved our player into some nowhere spot where they had just voluntarily taken themselves out of the play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back