Review West Coast vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 1 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think Hayes did enough don't think Teakle did either. Lycett will be our only ruck with Dixon round one that's a lock.

Dante continues to look good ball in hand and uses his body well around packs and off the ball thinking it's still too early but I'm playing him before Teakle.

JHF does look the part and I think Blight is right you don't want him in situations where he's going to kill himself against more mature seasoned bodys I'd just be looking for a match up for him forward or back with careful use though the middle when it's a good idea.
He's not going to rescue us this year get him to 50 games and another pre-season.

Jr could end up with the most boring highlight reel in history but is great he can find space on his own inside 50 if he can do that in the real world during the season he's going to be brilliant for us.

Interviewer: Ken, looked like a real arm wrestle tonight against West Coast. What are your thoughts on the game?

Ken Hinkley: Yeah, it was definitely a tough game. We knew coming into the game that West Coast would be a difficult opponent, but we felt we had a game plan that could have been successful for us like it has in the past. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out that way.

Interviewer: What do you think was the biggest factor in the loss?

Ken Hinkley: Look, first thing, I think we've got to be careful about calling it a 'loss'. I think there were a few things that contributed to the result that it ended up in but I'm cautious about calling it a loss. It is what it is. Firstly, we really missed Darcy Byrne-Jones in defence. He's been such a reliable player for us, he's our vice captain, and we definitely felt his absence tonight. We also missed having Charlie Dixon to kick it high to up forward. I think we struggled to create scoring opportunities as a result.

Interviewer: What about the effort of the players?

Ken Hinkley: Look, I think the players worked hard, but we definitely could have worked harder. We knew coming into the game that West Coast would be a strong contested team, and I don't think we were able to match them in that aspect of the game. We need to make sure we're putting in 100% effort for the entire game if we want to be successful.

Interviewer: What positives can you take from the game?

Ken Hinkley: I think there were definitely some positives to take from the game. We showed some good signs at times and were able to stick with West Coast for most of the game. We just need to work on consistency and making sure we're executing our game plan for the entire game.

Interviewer: What's the plan moving forward?

Ken Hinkley: We need to regroup and focus on the next game. We've got another run through coming up against Fremantle, who we know are a bloody good side, but we're confident in our ability to bounce back and match them in the contest. We'll be working hard on the training track to make sure we're better prepared.
I honestly have no idea if this is seriously what he said or if this is a hilarious joke you've written.

Last edited:
After the internal trial I had a little worry about JHF but last night I saw enough, have to remember he is only 19 years old in his second year. Lots of expectations by not only our supporters but opposition supporter for a second year player.

I am mildly concerned after that. My reasons:

1. This is not the 1980s when teams had 5 trial games- we have 2
2. Last year we were 0-5 after 5- can’t afford anything like that this year
3. Tough draw- we must start switched on
4. We are fumbling a lot as a team- Internal trial and trial- this has to stop now. Do that against Brisbane and we’re stuffed
5. This requires work under match conditions and we have 1 left.

I know it was “only a trial”, but we now only have one chance to get it right.

It's good news that we're s**t. Might accelerate the Hinkley sacking and get some change at the club. Bring back stickerman and sack the lot

Lasts night trial had the feel of the GC trial game from last year.

Bit of Hinkley ball, a kick and giggle but a vibe that players aren’t switched on.

Lasts night trial had the feel of the GC trial game from last year.

Bit of Hinkley ball, a kick and giggle but a vibe that players aren’t switched on.
Or worse….they’re just not prepared properly. Skills, defensive strategy and forward craft should show some evidence that we’ve been working on them. We leaked goals too easily especially when they rebounded from defence. We were inefficient as always up forward. The repeat entry stuff rarely seems to work because our forwards don’t take pack marks and don’t crumb well in congestion. Meanwhile the opposition defenders swarm the drop of the ball and clear it out too easily.

Y
Add Lycett to that list. Boak would be good to have as part of the fitness staff, but I wouldn't want him near a coaching role, with his complete lack of killer instinct.
Your timing is spectacular. The guy just got injured in a practice match and is possibly in a hospital bed as we type. Maybe think about the fact that he felt that attached to our club that he stayed in its darkest moments unlike Dangermouse who couldn’t wait to get home from Adelaide even after the crises of Walsh dying. Travis Boak deserves respect he’s earnt it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m trying to be positive but that last night was absolute rubbish

nothing Seems to change, all we hear are tweaks here and there. Should blow the whole thing up

the game plan doesn’t match our skillset

our skills from senior players are shocking, school boy shocking.. we can have great field position then absolutely utensil up a basic forward entry and the oppo take it the length of the field.

the ball comes out of the forward line way to easy, we get scored against without touching the footy

out kicking for goal is terrible. We keep sides in the game cause we can’t kick straight, we never put sides under score board pressure.

we need to hit this season running thats when we have our best seasons, get off to a good start cause we all know that if we are behind in the win loss we can’t make up ground, the group can’t sustain it against good sides

we can’t win close games, why the heck has that become such an issue, at games you just know what’s going to happen on the last quarter, you know panic will set in and we will bottle it. Even in a trial we couldnt.

I’d rather hinkley come out and say that was absolute s**t and we ain’t standing for it and there will be changes next week. Drop a star send a message that it won’t be tolerated, drop Jonas, drop wines. Shake the joint up, get rid of complacency.

I’m going to remain hopeful we can beat Brisbane, we need to beat Brisbane, we need to show that we can beat decent sides, we need to do it playing ruthless hard footy. that will tell me if we have changed, lose to Brisbane and we are the same side and will be middle of the road..When the draw is hard we will lose and when it opens up we will look like superstars.

if we turn out middle of the road then sack the whole coaching group, Carr included. We need complete change, get someone new in bring their game plan and assistants and move on who they have to that does not like change or wont change cause it needs a massive shake up, cause to me it’s been way to long being this middle of the road bog average team that can’t win anything important.

Connor looks a clear two classes above anyone else on our list.
SPP was good, he's made that position his own.
Farrell/Bergman first half were good.
Orazio looked sharp.
Jase was one of our standouts. Makes the DBJ re-signing look even more baffling.
Drew was good in tight.
JHF glimpses were exciting.
Aliirs positioning was good, FFS would be good to see him mark something every now and then.
Visentini surprised me. Well off it but what he did was quality.

The rest was pure rat s**t.
Is it just me or are we back to the N.Bassett high press conceding open goals once our line is broken? WTF was with so many of their goals strolling in with no one within 20M.
Whatever problems Mitch is facing are his own, that's not coaching. The guy can't execute the simplest of skills. Hopefully has a better one next week.

"Match sim" yes, but jesus nothing looks to have actually changed. You see Melb & Geelong belting their oppo as they should, match sim or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back