Tom Mitchell, recovering from a broken leg and now a Hawk until the end of 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

After some analysis, compared to other accumulating players - Tom's Metres Gained Per Possession ends up like this:

Metres Gained Possessions MG PP
T Mitchell 8132 654 12.43425
A Gaff 6983 550 12.69636
P Cripps 4546 525 8.659048
C Oliver 6700 544 12.31618

If you'll note, all quite similar - the only person who should have reputation as a crab is Cripps by the looks of this.

Others have said it and I agree now, it's the look of players that make people enamored with them. Cripps has the benefit of being tall on his side, he's unique - if Tom wasn't such a run of the mill looking bloke people would be creaming their jeans.

Maybe it's time to shave the head Tommy, shine it up real nice.

The fact he is on par with an outside wingman in Gaff for metres gained is astonishing.

I know he has had more disposals but for a predominantly inside player its incredible.

Watching the Tommy gun's performance each week and agree with Player Ratings.

He continues to improve post bye (how is this possible?!) and has clutch goal kicking qualities.

Sneaking suspicion he is handling the tag better by increasing his already phenomenal work-rate (how is this possible?!).

Keen to hear other posters opinions - or am I just looking at it through brown and gold tinted glasses

Watch Shiels against Freo, he was constantly getting in the taggers way which allowed Mitch to get free. Then he gets his opponent on the outside by being able to work them over.

Predictor now has Mitchell as equal first with Cripps. Funnily enough the predictor gave Mitchell 1 point from the Essendon game - gave Gunner 3 and Stratton 2. Would make me laugh if Merrett didn't get a vote - the * fans will be incensed.

With Cripps I can't see a bloke polling that many votes in a team that has lost so many games.

http://www.afl.com.au/brownlow-medal/predictor

upload_2018-8-6_14-37-19.png

Predictor now has Mitchell as equal first with Cripps. Funnily enough the predictor gave Mitchell 1 point from the Essendon game - gave Gunner 3 and Stratton 2. Would make me laugh if Merrett didn't get a vote - the * fans will be incensed.

With Cripps I can't see a bloke polling that many votes in a team that has lost so many games.

View attachment 539046

It'll be that in reverse I reckon, potentially with Merritt getting 2 or 1.

View attachment 539046

How good was Nat Fyfe going until his injury ? Amazing stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the replay of Saturday's game, I think I've worked out how they judge Mitchell's impact and effectiveness.

If Mitchell has 25 touches by half-time, but Hawthorn is losing, he is obviously not a very damaging player, obvioulsy his disposals have limited effect, so you let him go.
If he gets the same amount of touches, but Hawthorn is winning, he's amazing, Hawthorn's lynch-pin, and the other coach is mad for not tagging him.

What he actually does with his touches seems to be irrelevant in their appraisal.

Coaches votes Leaderboard
86 — TOM MITCHELL (HAW)
80 — MAX GAWN (MELB)
78 — PATRICK CRIPPS (CARL)
72 — CLAYTON OLIVER (MELB)
65 — ANDREW GAFF (WC)
64 — BRODIE GRUNDY (COLL)
64 — SHAUN HIGGINS (NM)
60 — LACHIE WHITFIELD (GWS)
59 — NAT FYFE (FREM)
59 — DYSON HEPPELL (ESS)

Interesting to note some differences between this year and last:

1. His kick to handball ratio is much closer than it's ever been in his career (last year 307 kicks/480 hballs vs this year 317 kicks/380 hballs).

2. He's had a career high 99 inside 50s this year up on 76 last year.

3. Clearances already 154 compared to 138 last year.

4. Bounces the biggest change, 30 this year compared to only 7 last year.

The more I read the stats column from his 2016 year at Sydney, the more I think they were completely stupid to let him go. 725 disposals (5th in the AFL), 15 goals, 98 inside 50s, 160 tackles (5th in the AFL), 17 goal assists... not mentioning his performance in the GF. He had just turned 23, about to enter his prime, he asked for a new contract and then they seemed to just say "sorry, can't fit you in mate! Off you go".

Looking at their midfield now, I really don't know what they were thinking.

Every once in a while, something so wildly good comes along, and makes something previously so incredibly difficult, look easy.

This is often met with disbelief by people not attuned to the idea, that making something incredibly difficult look easy, is a hallmark of true genius.

Tom Mitchell is this phenomenon in the footballing flesh.

He makes winning the ball at AFL look like tying your shoe laces, and is increasingly better at using it with Sam Mitchell level vision. Worse still, he does it without the beautiful, smooth-moving natural athleticism that 'experts' love to circle jerk over. (see Sam Mitchell's AA selection commissions).

Make no mistake, this is true greatness on the way up that we're witnessing every week with Tom. It's been happening at least every week since he walked onto the field in the last GF he played in for that subsidised club up North. From the minute he pulled on the boots at Hawthorn, he has been our midfield. Now that he's getting support, watch him go up another notch again.

e783be0d6b554a83ff46d0b66ee84ea2.png

AFLCA

63bc6421a3e6476ae8ea2428f7042235.png

AFL Nation

fd367cd0ba06825b7826837e298d8cfe.png

Herald Sun

82a1b713efb646a7530e7c28b35a39cc.png

The Age

a664b5ffc437d0b607865879a72fc5bb.png

Triple M

6bf2affd211777ee073f15e061bcb243.png

3AW

I can’t find the ABC grandstand leaderboard, but I can assume that he is winning that as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting to note some differences between this year and last:

1. His kick to handball ratio is much closer than it's ever been in his career (last year 307 kicks/480 hballs vs this year 317 kicks/380 hballs).

2. He's had a career high 99 inside 50s this year up on 76 last year.

3. Clearances already 154 compared to 138 last year.

4. Bounces the biggest change, 30 this year compared to only 7 last year.

The more I read the stats column from his 2016 year at Sydney, the more I think they were completely stupid to let him go. 725 disposals (5th in the AFL), 15 goals, 98 inside 50s, 160 tackles (5th in the AFL), 17 goal assists... not mentioning his performance in the GF. He had just turned 23, about to enter his prime, he asked for a new contract and then they seemed to just say "sorry, can't fit you in mate! Off you go".

Looking at their midfield now, I really don't know what they were thinking.

It evens up the Josh Kennedy decision. After the 2012 grand final it looked like the decision ever... then we won a three peat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back