Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Of course you can have it both ways.

A ladder after round 3, when some teams have had byes and others haven't is obviously flawed.

And even at rd3, you can already get a read on teams that are going to be bottom 4 battlers and those who are looking strong.

Carlton aint played any strong teams yet, the Pies have.
So last year's grand final runners up the Brisbane Lions weren't a strong team?

Exactly when you play a team is important. One week they can be up and the next down. So Brisbane losing to Freo and the Pies does not impact our win against them whatsoever.

Judge the quality of Carlton's win on Brisbane's performance in that specific game.
Hang on.

Are you really proposing Brisbane brought their A game to their round 0 match against Carlton, but brought their C games to their Freo and Pies clashes?

Indeed - I review all new data as it presents itself and reassess, like all great mathematicians do.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Hang on.

Are you really proposing Brisbane brought their A game to their round 0 match against Carlton, but brought their C games to their Freo and Pies clashes?
No - stop putting words on my mouth.

If you watched Carlton and Brisbane in OR and thought Brisbane were poor then you are right to state that you thought it wasn't a good win. That is purely a subjective view.

Using losses in successive weeks is irrelevant when form fluctuates weekly.

Expect another spike around 7pm today win, lose or draw.
I’m not wishing this on you by any means, but if somehow the Blues drop that game, we gonna need more mods in here 🤭

Season 18 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

No - stop putting words on my mouth.

If you watched Carlton and Brisbane in OR and thought Brisbane were poor then you are right to state that you thought it wasn't a good win. That is purely a subjective view.

Using losses in successive weeks is irrelevant when form fluctuates weekly.
I understand why at the time you thought the win over Brisbane was amazing.

But surely you can look at how they've performed since then, and realised 'Hang on, they're actually not travelling too well at the moment....'?

But surely you can look at how they've performed since then, and realised 'Hang on, they're actually not travelling too well at the moment....'?
Ok mate Collingwood were 0-3. So GWS's win against them wasn't good. Sydney's win against them wasn't good. But now they beat Brisbane so St Kilda's win against them was great.

Am I doing this right?

Collingwood still have an additional bye worth 0 pts to go.. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a plucky hawthorn, confident as they beat the pies last year, give them a mighty shake again next week at gather round…
Mate if they don’t beat Hawthorn x 10 goals- the doors should be closed on the joint.

At least , that’s what I’m hoping for.

Cmon Fadge, the win against Richmond was a dead rubber if you didnt already gather.

Ok mate Collingwood were 0-3. So GWS's win against them wasn't good. Sydney's win against them wasn't good. But now they beat Brisbane so St Kilda's win against them was great.

Am I doing this right?
I'll let you work it out for yourself.

It's really not that difficult to start assessing quality of wins once you start compiling a reasonable data set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll let you work it out for yourself.

It's really not that difficult to start assessing quality of wins once you start compiling a reasonable data set.
And a reasonable data set is not three games especially with the inequalities of the byes as a factor.

Back to my original point: if Brisbane win 6 of their next 7 would that make your win against them better? Surely 10 games is a better sample size than 3...

And a reasonable data set is not three games especially with the inequalities of the byes as a factor.

Back to my original point: if Brisbane win 6 of their next 7 would that make your win against them better? Surely 10 games is a better sample size than 3...
3 or 4 games as a data set is far better than one.

And I've answered this question earlier.

How many times do you need the same question answered?

If Collingwood win the next 20 games in a row to win the flag, it doesn't change the fact they were poor in the first 3 rounds...

Out of curiosity is your avatar holding the March Premiership Cup or the wizard home loans cup?
We have a lot of cups including sixteen AFL/VFL ones. We have five flag wins that were captured on coloured tv as well. Collingwood only have three flag wins filmed in colour.

If Collingwood win the next 20 games in a row to win the flag, it doesn't change the fact they were poor in the first 3 rounds...
If Collingwood lose against Hawthorn it doesn't change the quality of win against Brisbane. You are just getting closer and closer to my point that you have to take everything on a week by week basis - especially early in the season where we have these byes compromising the fixture even further

If Collingwood lose against Hawthorn it doesn't change the quality of win against Brisbane. You are just getting closer and closer to my point that you have to take everything on a week by week basis - especially early in the season where we have these byes compromising the fixture even further
If Collingwood lose to Hawthorn next week, it's further evidence that Brisbane are currently performing as a bottom 4 team.

Data sets are important.

Back