Williamson and New Zealand test team ranked number one at years end

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps not but 2000 runs and an average of a shade below 50 in that period with the general quality of pace attacks around the world is still pretty good
8 away tests during that time with an average of 30. Doesn't average more than 40 against any of Australia/India/England/South Africa/Pakistan.

He's a pretty good opener but he is also a massive front runner

Whether you like it or not, whether they are a stand out or not (they’re not), they have a better claim than anybody else right now and that’s why for at least a week or two they are number one.
I don't think anyone should ever confuse the number one ranking with the best team in the world. Cricket just doesn't work like that - teams don't play each other often enough.

NZ are a good team and has deservedly earned the ranking, but there's more than one team I wouldn't back them to beat over a home-and-away series.

I don't think anyone should ever confuse the number one ranking with the best team in the world. Cricket just doesn't work like that - teams don't play each other often enough.

NZ are a good team and has deservedly earned the ranking, but there's more than one team I wouldn't back them to beat over a home-and-away series.

I would back them to lose in India. Even allowing for their vastly improved batting their spin options are negligible against batting of that quality. I would back them to lose in Australia. Though I couldn’t see them being as bad as last time. Jamieson would give them a much needed point of difference.

They have a horrid history in SA but with the way SA’s batting is at the moment I think they’d flog them. I think they’d win in England too.

8 away tests during that time with an average of 30. Doesn't average more than 40 against any of Australia/India/England/South Africa/Pakistan.

He's a pretty good opener but he is also a massive front runner

It’s slim pickings for openers. No one goes anywhere near to being better over the last decade except for Warner and Cook.

Last edited:

I’d back them to beat or at least draw with the following in a 3 year home then 3 test away series:
India
Sri Lanka
Pakistan
West Indies
England
South Africa
Australia with our current dumpster fire batting line up
Bangladesh
Afghanistan
Ireland

It’s the profit-at-all-cost current form of test cricket scheduling that doesn’t make it possible for a fair assessment of team performance, thanks to the big 3 making the game FUBAR.

They are the best team in the world.

Put the current Australia, England and South African teams in the sub continent right now and it would be a complete massacre. England lost to the windies away ffs.

Last edited:
Latham and Blundell are probably our best opening combo in years, Latham is one of the best openers in the world and Blundell is a big upgrade on Raval.

I wouldn't call it a great opening combo but no test team in the world has one you would call great, they all have flaws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're not. Until they bag a test away series win against one of the big boys or India somehow lose at home soon they can't take that claim.
Someone has to be the best.

The only team who has beaten one of those teams away, is India, before that you’re going back to South Africa winning here.
Now fair enough you could say ‘two years ago India won in Australia and no one else has.’ India for me are the obvious other candidate for top spot. But they still got annihilated by NZ away so that has to count for something

I agree and disagree really with both sides here nz clearly deserve number one they dont need to fulfill your random criteria to be worthy of the ranking but at the same time nothing they have done lately is proof they can actually win tough test series in places they have never won(sa/ind) or places they have not won in decades(aus/eng).

NZ would not start as favs in any series in eng/sa/aus/india, they have 3 series wins in those countries in their entire history and none in this century, that win in the uae vs pak in 2018 was also just their second away series win in that entire past decade(excluding zim).

Someone has to be the best.
Yes, it's India

Now fair enough you could say ‘two years ago India won in Australia and no one else has.’ India for me are the obvious other candidate for top spot.
They also just won a test here 2 weeks ago. Something New Zealand sure never looked like doing.

But they still got annihilated by NZ away so that has to count for something
It doesn't count for that much when we all know New Zealand would also get annihilated in India. No one is saying India is some test juggernaut, but they clearly deserve the claim for best test team right now.

I really think you and a few people still massively overrating their ability to win away against the big nations.

I agree and disagree really with both sides here nz clearly deserve number one they dont need to fulfill your random criteria to be worthy of the ranking but at the same time nothing they have done lately is proof they can actually win tough test series in places they have never won(sa/ind) or places they have not won in decades(aus/eng).

NZ would not start as favs in any series in eng/sa/aus/india, they have 3 series wins in those countries in their entire history and none in this century, that win in the uae vs pak in 2018 was also just their second away series win in that entire past decade(excluding zim).
I actually think they would be favorites against South Africa away right now. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they are touring there at least for 2 years because I don't think they'll ever get a better chance to win in South Africa right now.

Latham and Blundell are probably our best opening combo in years, Latham is one of the best openers in the world and Blundell is a big upgrade on Raval.

I wouldn't call it a great opening combo but no test team in the world has one you would call great, they all have flaws.
Lathams a very good test opener , solid game and capable of big runs when he gets in.

Blundell always seems LBW and bowled which is a worry .

Surely has to be up there for one of best starts to a test career ever.
It probably would , but there have been a decent amount of players who start in a blaze of glory then get worked out or simple have played above themselves.
Only time tells if Jamieson is elite at test level or he becomes a good player.

Thats why im holding fire on him . I want to see his skill set in other conditions where he will need to bowl a different length .
Im not saying he cant because we dont know but we cant say he will either .

It probably would , but there have been a decent amount of players who start in a blaze of glory then get worked out or simple have played above themselves.
Only time tells if Jamieson is elite at test level or he becomes a good player.

Thats why im holding fire on him . I want to see his skill set in other conditions where he will need to bowl a different length .
Im not saying he cant because we dont know but we cant say he will either .

Need to bowl a different length? What does that even mean? His variation of length has been picking up wickets.

And forget what I said about it being possibly the best start, it actually IS the best start to a test cricket career in 121 years.

Need to bowl a different length? What does that even mean? His variation of length has been picking up wickets.

And forget what I said about it being possibly the best start, it actually IS the best start to a test cricket career in 121 years.
He will need to bowl a different length depending where he plays . If he rolls a NZ length out here I doubt he has the same impact here .
Some bowlers never adjust , some take a few tours , some do it quickly.

Some players are champions at home but struggle elsewhere , its whether you can adapt your game.
He might , we just wont know until he tours .

Only taking them seriously when they start to win away.

If they ever play away?

Just like aus, can’t hide in their own backyard
At least we can still win at home.

India are doing a number on you and are without a lot of their first choice players lol.

Looks like it's you guys who will be fighting for a WTC spot with how this series is going, the series against SA wont be academic with your batting line up looking completely clueless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back