Traded Zak Jones [traded with #56 and future 3rd to St Kilda for #32, #76 and future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints fans feel the same about that return for Bruce.

But no one has pushed/demanded the Dogs to come up fairer pick despite us saying multiple times pick 32 isnt good enough.
I can see the dogs giving 32 and a third rounder and saying that equals something in the 20s. The fact is that these draft points mean nothing if you are not using them for academy/father sons etc.

I can see the dogs giving 32 and a third rounder and saying that equals something in the 20s. The fact is that these draft points mean nothing if you are not using them for academy/father sons etc.
I'd be telling the Dogs to go to Freo

Trade whatever picks it takes to get to 22

Freo will only be using that pick on an academy kid.

Sounds like the Keath deal may fall over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Provides some real line breaking run but geez he can butcher the footy.

Happy to get the points equivalent of a mid second rounder. Fair deal all round.

Genuinely spat out my drink when Ralph said he's the 'pace and elite footskills that StK have been chasing'.

His upside is he's still relatively young, so there's scope to improve and he's a solid 4th or 5th mid.

His upside is he's still relatively young, so there's scope to improve and he's a solid 4th or 5th mid.
Unlike our last couple of coaches Ratts has a belief that you actually need to work on skills. You might not be able to do much about pace but a more learned skill like kicking should have a greater range for improvement with training. It'll probably never be elite but it can be better than it is if you put in the effort.

That being said it will be good to start using the Hawthorn method of only picking players that learned to kick properly in the first place.

Last edited:
Unlike our last couple of coaches Ratts has a belief that you actually need to work on skills. You might not be able to do much about pace but a more learned skill like kicking should have a greater range for improvement with training. It'll probably never be elite but it can be better than it is if you put in the effort.

That being said it will be good to start using the Hawthorn method of only picking players that learned to kick properly in the first place.

So that’s what this AFL player has been doing wrong all his life. He hasn’t been training to improve his skills.

groundbreaking. No wonder Ratten got a second chance, he suggested players should train.

View attachment 768599
Gerard Healy says he was surprised to see Sydney let Zak Jones join St Kilda so easily.

The Sportsday host said he expected the pacey midfielder to prove one of the best pick-ups of the trade period.

“Sydney has got a slow midfield, they’ve got a midfield that needs development and they let Zak Jones out of the club for pick 32,” Healy said.

“I don’t think they valued Zak Jones.

“I think the Saints have done particularly well in getting him.”

View attachment 768599
Gerard Healy says he was surprised to see Sydney let Zak Jones join St Kilda so easily.

The Sportsday host said he expected the pacey midfielder to prove one of the best pick-ups of the trade period.

“Sydney has got a slow midfield, they’ve got a midfield that needs development and they let Zak Jones out of the club for pick 32,” Healy said.

“I don’t think they valued Zak Jones.

“I think the Saints have done particularly well in getting him.”
Very interesting to listen to Healys comments, just googled "healy jones news" and the soundbite is there. Talks about him twice but clearly rates him very highly, says he's actually a good kick, has had issues with decision making but if he can sort that out then he could be all Australian. Reckons Jones's rating in the last 4 weeks of the season was AA level. Also said that while he hasn't come top10 b and f, he has seen games where he couldn't believe Jones didn't get coaches votes, so the club underrated him.

Edit whoops thought I was on saints board.

Very interesting to listen to Healys comments, just googled "healy jones news" and the soundbite is there. Talks about him twice but clearly rates him very highly, says he's actually a good kick, has had issues with decision making but if he can sort that out then he could be all Australian. Reckons Jones's rating in the last 4 weeks of the season was AA level. Also said that while he hasn't come top10 b and f, he has seen games where he couldn't believe Jones didn't get coaches votes, so the club underrated him.

Edit whoops thought I was on saints board.

No small effort considering he didn't play in either round 22 or round 23

Healy is right with most of that. Jones does not have bad kicking, he makes poor decisions at speed, which results in turnovers. His actual kicking mechanics are very good and he has good penetration.

He's just subject to lots of brain fades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back